Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 9:46am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm an asshole, but I don't think either of those guys should be "Fitness coaches." Maybe "donut mauling coaches," but not fitness. I see cardio being an issue.
    Not that I'm some Ironman or anything, but sometimes you can just look at the pictures and tell the waist size is about equal to the number of seconds before they completely gas.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 9:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Name:  old-arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  27.2 KB

This guy looks like he's not qualified to be a fitness coach either.

Amidoinitrite?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 10:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    Maybe I'm an asshole, but I don't think either of those guys should be "Fitness coaches." Maybe "donut mauling coaches," but not fitness. I see cardio being an issue.
    Not that I'm some Ironman or anything, but sometimes you can just look at the pictures and tell the waist size is about equal to the number of seconds before they completely gas.
    As a certain chunner inofrmed us, you can pay 200-1000 dollars and get certified ONLINE.

So, I no longer hold fitness trainers/coaches any higher than a TMAer playing semantics games with J'J?su. Unless, of course, you show me you have a B.S. and show me a track record of helping people.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fenris9 View Post
    So I can tell people that I'm a Thai instructor and put up a logo mimicking Tiger Muay Thai and an explanation of what Muay Thai is and tell people I'm a 6th Degree Black Belt in Thai (I know there aren't belts in Thai) when what I really mean is I'm a BB in Tae Kwon Do (with a little true Thai experience)but they don't need to know that? Sure I changed the spelling but hey?
    I think a better comparison would be to be ranked in TKD, have yourself and your instructors crosstrain in Muay Thai kickboxing with one of your instructors competing amateur in a MT bout or two, and claim to have a kickboxing program with a Tiger doing the Ram Muay with a tennis racket on its head as a logo.

I'd ask such a school the same questions. What are your students formally ranked belt-wise in, what is it you claim to teach, what are your credentials?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 2:58pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both gentlemen look a mite, er, portly although that doesn't always mean that they're not fit.

The claim of 6th Dan confuses me as the pic on the Instructors page shows 2 red stripes on his BB and in my experience that usually means 2nd Dan.

The other thing that stands out is the huge gap between his claimed 6th Dan and his students - instructors included. Rather odd.

But whaddoIknow?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    As a certain chunner inofrmed us, you can pay 200-1000 dollars and get certified ONLINE.

So, I no longer hold fitness trainers/coaches any higher than a TMAer playing semantics games with J'J?su. Unless, of course, you show me you have a B.S. and show me a track record of helping people.
    Actually you can get a certification for cheaper. It doesn't count for squat, but you can get certified for about $50.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 3:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There you go. I just went off that claim, looked at the website, and laughed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 3:56pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to cause a hiccup or anything by heading back towards the original intent of this thread, but eh.

Anyways, the Combat Jujitsu could quite possibly be of the Miyama Ryu lineage that came from Antonio Pereira. He called his system Combat Jujitsu as well as by the Japanese name Miyama Ryu Jujitsu. Then with a little wordplay he draws people in that think they are getting BJJ. Now, upon checking the "approved" dojo list for Miyama Ryu, there school is not listed. So, I guess that makes them not of that lineage. The guy they are under is a Mr. Peele.

There is one hole I see in Mr. Marshall's ranks/lineage. He claims to have received Kenpo rank from Ernie Reyes Sr. The problem with that is Ernie Sr. is a TKD guy NOT a Kenpo guy. This is the only thing that I see is openly incorrect with their claims.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 4:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    He claims to have received Kenpo rank from Ernie Reyes Sr. The problem with that is Ernie Sr. is a TKD guy NOT a Kenpo guy. This is the only thing that I see is openly incorrect with their claims.
    Dude you do realize how many different styles Ernie Reyes has trained right? Calling him a TKD guy is disingenuous.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/02/2011 4:59pm at .

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fenris9 View Post
    (the reason the Gracies changed the spelling was to differentiate it from the Japanese form).
    Not that it's super relevant, but that spelling is one of the oldest romanizations, and yes the original romanization for Kano's art was Jiudo (he used it himself).

Edit: If only he had spelled it with a 'G', Sambo would have company.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast