Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 7:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: brazilian jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

6th degree BB in Jiu-jitsu and MMA in NC

We have a clown in NC claiming a 6th degree BB in MMA and jiu-jitsu. The website is www.abismma.com. He's changed his site a cpl times when pressed but still claims a 6th degree BB in combat jiu-jitsu, MMA and jiu-jitsu.
    I wrote him and asked him who he received his BB from as it would make him the highest ranked American and he would outrank all current Mundial Champions but I never heard back.
    Now, I know some frauds will get Black Belts in Japanese Jujitsu then drop the "Japanese" and change the spelling to jiu-jitsu but when they get pressed they'll fess up to it being Japanese Jujitsu (the reason the Gracies changed the spelling was to differentiate it from the Japanese form). However, on his site he has a Marshalls BJJ Logo (named after him and ripped off from Barra I think) so he's more than implying his rank is in BJJ
    Feel free to inundate him with requests for info as he he has conned a lot of people

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 8:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not somewhere I would choose to train, but based on a quick look at the website I don't see anything that jumps out at me as being fraudulent. The "6th Degree MMA" is definitely some silliness.

He acknowledges on the Jujitsu page that their grappling is based on Japanese Jujitsu. Looks like the other guy is a blue belt in BJJ.

Mostly, it just looks like some TMA guys cashing in on MMA popularity. I'm not really seeing false claims, though.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 9:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like he has a 6th in JJJ, and just kinda carried it over on his resume to his "Jiu-Jitsu" (doesn't explicitly state BJJ, but kinda implies it in my opinion) and MMA - so yeah lol MMA belts.

Basically what Devil said.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 9:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's more than an implication given that not a lot of people do MMA/Jiu-jitsu (we mean Japanese jiu-jitsu, wink) And, then to spell it in the Brazilian manner rather than Jujitsu. Lastly, the BJJ Logo and discussion of BJJ on the front page makes it pretty obvious what he's trying to get people to think

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fenris9 View Post
    I think it's more than an implication given that not a lot of people do MMA/Jiu-jitsu (we mean Japanese jiu-jitsu, wink) And, then to spell it in the Brazilian manner rather than Jujitsu. Lastly, the BJJ Logo and discussion of BJJ on the front page makes it pretty obvious what he's trying to get people to think
    At worst it's misleading advertising. At best it's a typo. I'd be interested to see what their training entails, who teaches the grappling portion, how they are ranked, and how many if any competitors the school puts out.

From the current standpoint, it looks to be a TMA Jujutsu school, who has instructors who cross-train and are trying to gain students from MMA-style marketing. I am not certain on what passes for "Bullshido" nowadays, but I'd contact this guy if you are in the area, and see how forthcoming and honest he is about what it is they do, and what their credentials are.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 10:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must have taken a long break. This is starting to happen quite a bit.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 10:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The spelling is a non-issue, in my opinion. J?J?tsu gets spelled all kinds of fucked up ways by TMAers and BJJers alike. Jujutsu, Jujitsu, Jiujitsu, Jiu-jitsu. Who gives a ****? BJJ doesn't own the word or the spelling.

There's also no reason a school can't use any style logo they wish if they're not making false claims. Also, one of the instructors appears to be a blue belt in BJJ. I wouldn't go train under a blue belt, but I've seen blue belts instructing before at BJJ schools with the full blessing of a BJJ black belt. It's less common now that there are so many higher ranking BJJ instructors around, but it's not unheard of. So you can't really give them **** for that either.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 8:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I can tell people that I'm a Thai instructor and put up a logo mimicking Tiger Muay Thai and an explanation of what Muay Thai is and tell people I'm a 6th Degree Black Belt in Thai (I know there aren't belts in Thai) when what I really mean is I'm a BB in Tae Kwon Do (with a little true Thai experience)but they don't need to know that? Sure I changed the spelling but hey?

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 8:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I can tell people that I'm a Thai instructor and put up a logo mimicking Tiger Muay Thai and an explanation of what Muay Thai is and tell people I'm a 6th Degree Black Belt in Thai (I know there aren't belts in Thai) when what I really mean is I'm a BB in Tae Kwon Do (with a little true Thai experience)but they don't need to know that? Sure I changed the spelling but hey?
    If you're so bent out of shape by this school's advertising, why not put in the investigative legwork yourself to determine what's what instead of nitpicking the **** out of their website? It's just lame to agonize over spelling and logos when their aren't any blatant false claims to be seen.

To me, it's pretty obvious what you're dealing with here - TMAers with a little experience in BJJ/MMA who are cashing in on the popularity of those arts. But I'm not seeing lies. I say bring more facts to the table or lay off.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 9:04am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man I don't know what it is with you guys, but I have never agreed with devil moreso than the last month.

Quit nitpicking and do some of your own research. Yes, there are multiple ways to spell J?J?ts??.
    Did you check to see if they are an affiliate?
    Did you check to confirm the BJJ Rank of the instructor?
    Did you check to see if the have any other ties to the BJJ school?
    Did you see if they hold monthly or weekly BJJ sessions?

We had a thread just like this one, in MABS, and had the exact same conversation. If it makes you so angry that you make up all of these silly scenarios call them.

No not an email, call him.

Oh and LOL@BJJ.

He has pictures showing it isn't a BJJ promotion.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/02/2011 9:12am at .
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast