Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5 years no chipped teeth, but a couple of bloody gums. I really just don't wear one out of being lazy. Used to wear a cup all the time, but I started training without one and it'll only make you better since you can't rely on the cup.

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 9:39am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you rely on a cup?

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 9:48am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only done BJJ once, for a one-day seminar, but a cup saved my nuts 3 times in that one session.

I'm also the only guy that wears a cup at my Kali class. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

One good shot in the balls will say "yes" louder than 100 tough guys saying "no".
    Last edited by Ignorami; 6/01/2011 9:49am at . Reason: two particularly unfortunate typos

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 10:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cup horror story

I wore my cup and practiced a lot of 50/50, and deep half (top side)

mucho pressure was put on my cup while I tried to manuever my legs around with techniques I'm trying to familiarize with.

the pressure and stretching caused a gross stretch mark right where my cup sits.

I roll cupless now.

IBJJF tournaments won't let you compete with a cup on

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 10:55am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    Armbars, for example. If you wear a cup, armbars will be easier because you have a hard plastic fulcrum to lever the arm against. Without a cup, you need to perform the armbar correctly lest you use your opponent’s arm to crush your own balls, so you need to squeeze your knees together properly. I can think of a few other positional things where not wearing a cup forces me to think more about applying proper pressure with my knees.

I believe cups are disallowed in most BJJ competition precisely because they make armbars easier.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 11:14am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My .02. Compression shorts instead of a cup for me. As long as things aren't swinging around down there while rolling I'm okay. Yes, I've been nailed there a couple times but it's usually working with white belts. If I get hit down there while just rolling it means I’m playing too reckless. You shouldn’t get hit down there if you are rolling with control. It happens though. But if you are ever going to compete you can’t with one on, so why get use to it?

The mouth piece is for only when I'm sparring or competing. No need for technical training, especially with how much talking with your rolling partner while learning a new technique.

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 3:33pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Armbars, for example. If you wear a cup, armbars will be easier because you have a hard plastic fulcrum to lever the arm against. Without a cup, you need to perform the armbar correctly lest you use your opponent’s arm to crush your own balls, so you need to squeeze your knees together properly. I can think of a few other positional things where not wearing a cup forces me to think more about applying proper pressure with my knees.

I believe cups are disallowed in most BJJ competition precisely because they make armbars easier.
    I know about cups and armbars, but the poster is a BJJ purple belt; he should be past using a cup as a crutch for an improper armbar.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 4:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know about cups and armbars, but the poster is a BJJ purple belt; he should be past using a cup as a crutch for an improper armbar.
    Frank Mir got his black belt for a cup-assisted forearm-bar. Personally I wear neither for BJJ, but I tend to stick a mouth-guard in for wrestling. Too many heads and elbows flying about.

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 11:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll use it for armbars and will leave yourself open when rolling. After rolling without it for a while you'll learn to pinch your knees better and use your body to block your junk same applies for attacking with the triangle, omoplata, or playing half guard.

You cup saved your nuts because you didn't know how to control him. Cups are nice for begginners but you gotta take the training wheels off. I know it's lame and cliche but ain't not cups in the street.

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 11:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's easy to be lazy and think you're not relying on one. Same thing as with strength and size, it's easy to use the crutch. I think it's best to just remove the option in the first place.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast