Posted On:
    6/04/2011 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    There's always fucking one.
    They shouldn't have the temerity to resist my shimewaza attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You can't intentionally grind your knuckles into the side of the neck. People were doing it with no intention to choke. You can still try to dig in for a choke, though.

There are still ways to play the edge. It is still a penalty to step out if it is not part of the action. Just walking out intentionally or otherwise is shido. It is not however as big a deal as it used to be.

I was not ever that much of an tactical edge player. It was mostly about getting the penalty and I did of course proper Judo as much as possible. Or at least attempted to do so.

Ben
    So to be clear, you can still do this?

I don't recall the last time I saw a penalty for going outside the area, the dynamic edge has basically nullified most of the edge play.

Lol if only I could get the penalty for something as simple as playing the egde. When you're small for a heavyweight you have to run about like a blue arsed fly getting in attacks to force the passivity, much more effort!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 10:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    They shouldn't have the temerity to resist my shimewaza attacks.

So to be clear, you can still do this?

I don't recall the last time I saw a penalty for going outside the area, the dynamic edge has basically nullified most of the edge play.

Lol if only I could get the penalty for something as simple as playing the egde. When you're small for a heavyweight you have to run about like a blue arsed fly getting in attacks to force the passivity, much more effort!
    What Yamashita demos is OK. What is not OK is to do what you could call a reverse Ryote Jime while on uke back. Knuckles of both hands inside collar and grind/squeeze them together on uke neck. That's the sort of move that was popular for a while and then got penalized.

LOL, when you are a lightweight and fight big guys, imagine a blue arsed fly on meth, and you get an idea of my first 5 years of Judo.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 10:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Yamashita demos is OK. What is not OK is to do what you could call a reverse Ryote Jime while on uke back. Knuckles of both hands inside collar and grind/squeeze them together on uke neck. That's the sort of move that was popular for a while and then got penalized.

LOL, when you are a lightweight and fight big guys, imagine a blue arsed fly on meth, and you get an idea of my first 5 years of Judo.

Ben
    Gotcha. I don't do the reverse ryote jime, never really been very good at those kind of shimewaza so don't bother with stuff like that.

Lol, well yeh that's true.

Talking of tricks, some of Sodo's must have rubbed off on me because I've recieved a bitchy PM from one of our clogged companions.
    :DudeComeOn:

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 10:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Gotcha. I don't do the reverse ryote jime, never really been very good at those kind of shimewaza so don't bother with stuff like that.

Lol, well yeh that's true.

Talking of tricks, some of Sodo's must have rubbed off on me because I've recieved a bitchy PM from one of our clogged companions.
    :DudeComeOn:
    It does not really work very well, hence you don't do it or see it.

LOL, I'll go check it out and see what sort of shenannigan's you've been up to this time.

Ex Lax brownies?

Ben

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 6:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost forgo my favourite trick. If you get rolled with juji gatame, catch the leg nearest to you hips with your legs so that you have them in a sort of half guard.

Then do the normal turn in towards you opponent to escape.

However, before you fully turn in and free your arm you flip them the bird then slip the arm out.

This combines the double ownage of slipping their Juji attempt with the casual rinse of their submission skills by giving them the finger whilst you slip it.

For 1000 points make a bet with someone that you will do it on them in competition and then let them throw you and get to that position in the final of the British open and then proceed to give them the finger so that everybody watching sees and then slip the Juji and win the match.

The above paragraph is a true story, lol!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 2:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha, that is truly awesome. Probably not in the spirit of judo tho eh? Please tell me there is a youtube link to said story?

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 3:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doubt it, not much filming went on at mid 90s British Judo tournaments and very little of what few pieces of film exist have ever made it onto youtube.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 3:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the guys in my class went through a phase of doing this every single time he was on someones back. Never once got him the choke on me but hurt like an absolute bitch. I always thought purely pain compliance stuff was cheap in randori because it was never going to work in shiai or a real fight with the adrenaline going but it really fucked up your neck if you got on the wrong end of it more than a couple of times in a session.

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 10:29am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE View Post
    One of the guys in my class went through a phase of doing this every single time he was on someones back. Never once got him the choke on me but hurt like an absolute bitch.
    Just tap right away, tell him he didn't have a choke but it was hurting, move on.

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 11:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE View Post
    One of the guys in my class went through a phase of doing this every single time he was on someones back. Never once got him the choke on me but hurt like an absolute bitch. I always thought purely pain compliance stuff was cheap in randori because it was never going to work in shiai or a real fight with the adrenaline going but it really fucked up your neck if you got on the wrong end of it more than a couple of times in a session.
    It's cheap trick alright. How did you guys punish him?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast