Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 6:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tips and Tricks

In my relatively short time in Judo Iíve been lucky enough to see a lot of things, meet a lot of good players and get thrown by them a lot. Along the way Iíve picked up a few tips and tricks, some of them serious some not so.

Looking Good

The smoother and more controlled you are when you do Judo the better you look, because smoothness and control come only with skill and technique this isnít easy to achieve. However there are some little tricks to make yourself look good.

The Serious

How you conduct yourself on the mat is important.

When youíre tired, worn out, feeling useless itís important that you still conduct yourself like a man.

Donít slump in a heap when watching a demo sit in seiza or anza (crossed legs) if your knees canít take it.

If youíre knackered donít just wonder off the mat and sit down.

Take yourself to a corner stay on your feet and just get your breath back, tidy your kit, sort yourself out. When youíre feeling ready rejoin the class and go with a sense of purpose to pick out your randori partner or whatever the situation is.

Sort your belt out.

If you havenít done your belt properly you look like a complete chump. No one will ever take you or your Judo seriously if you donít tie your belt properly.

If your belt looks like this

Sort it out quickly or expect people to laugh at you.
    Even more so if you have a Ďdick beltí

Just, no.

The Silly

The Sensei Roll.

Youíve been there youíre doing a throw either moving or static and either through fully committing or being a little bit off balance you kind of go down with them.

Now you could just do an ordinary landing into a hold down, maybe you fall in an undignified heap, maybe you put your hands out and stop your fall.

Theyíre all ok, but they wonít make you look like youíre the boss.

The Sensei Roll will.

Hereís Okano doing a Ko soto gari demo, its fine, itís cool he gets all the points across etc... but when he does the throw itís not that exciting, bit boring even.

Now watch Okano.

Oh no he diíint!

Hombre just levelled up.

He upgrades the Ko soto and makes himself look like The Don just by adding in the forward rolling breakfall at the end. Note how he stands up and then struts back to his uke.

Our boy got swagga.

The stand up is crucial you have to be able to do a forward rolling breakfall and be able to smoothly stand up from it as a natural completion of the roll.

Being knackered

Shiai

Weíve all been there its minute 4 of the contest and you are absolutely fucked. You need some time to get a breath, but when the fighting breaks you have to go back to your spot and start again right away, there arenít any timeouts in Judo, or are there...
    So youíre on a Judo contest mat. Thereís the contest area, in green, the danger area, in red, and the two spots for the guy in the white belt and the guy in the blue belt.

Whenever thereís a break in the contest you return to your respective spots, white for white Ė blue for blue, and start again.
    However, here lies the perfect opportunity to catch a few seconds of air.

Most people when the contest breaks they walk back from where it broke, at the X, to there spot.

The smart and experienced player knows that this is there opportunity to catch some breaths and so will take the longest and most circuitous route back to their spot they can

If youíre knackered 3 or 4 extra seconds of sucking in air make a massive difference.

Those who are even cannier and or even more knackered can upgrade this little breath catching trick.

The fight should only restart when you are at your appropriate spot, so if you go to the wrong spot then it shouldnít restart.

If the contest breaks at the X and blue walks back to whites spot and waits there ready to go.

This means that you not only look sincere in your attempt to continue, but also means that quite a few seconds will pass, because the ref wonít actually speak to say youíve got it wrong. They will just gesture with their hands. You can game out the confusion for a good 5 maybe 10 seconds before Ďrealisingí what youíve done and then walking back to your correct spot.
    Youíve broken your opponents concentration because of the deliberate mix up, youíve gained maybe 15 extra seconds of air and are now in a much better state to get going again.

Now, obviously, you canít do the second one more than once a match. However, the first you can milk for a good 3 or 4 goes depending on how blatant/subtle you are, and in a close fought match those few extra seconds you gain to get your breath can mean the difference between eking out the win and losing.

Randori

In randori its a million times easier to catch some breath and stay on the mat than it is in shiai, because thereís no ref to chide or penalise you.

If youíre 10, 5 minute randoris into your 1hr 30 randori session most likely youíre going to be sucking wind, unless youíre one of the top guys on the mat, in which case you wonít be reading this.

So you get thrown, attempt a throw and fall down, block a throw and fall down, or maybe even throw and youíre on a busy mat.

Youíre the red circle, your partner right and all the other couples black.

However, youíre knackered the other guy is amped up and you need to catch a breather. Now you could just stand up and go straight back at it or you could be smart and get a few seconds of air and take yourself in a loop back to your partner, ideally behind another pair doing randori.

This is so you can gain even more time by, undoing your belt just as you past behind the other randori pair, marked by the X.

This means that when you get back to your partner you have your belt in your hand and can have a legitimate excuse to stand still for 10 seconds whilst you tie your belt. If youíre truly fucked make a hash of it first time round and take it off, red adjust your jacket and then start the whole process of tieing the belt again.

WINNING!

Getting the hooks on a flat opponent.

In Judo you often get opponents who flatten out to defend against attacks and against experienced guys it can actually be pretty hard to achieve a choke or armlock.

So you have the back, but no hooks, like so:

To resolve this simply reach back and grab ukeís trouser leg just below their knee joint and lift upwards, slide your leg underneath and release their leg. Do the same on the other side and now you have back mount with two hooks in.

Simples.

Getting a choke

Often from this position against an experienced opponent it can be difficult to get your hands in to apply a shimewaza. However, there is a simple and effective method to break even the toughest of defences.

Take your opposite side elbow and place it against ukeís ear, so right elbow against ukeís left ear.

Note it must be against the ear, no higher or lower, otherwise you will lose leverage.

Then simply drive your elbow across trying to get ukeís other ear to touch their shoulder. As the space is created slip your hand in to secure either the collar or bring the forearm across the neck for the Hadaka jime.

If your elbow and upper body is not strong enough to move their neck, then, well, you probably werenít going to get anywhere anyway...

Being Fast
    U
    sually fast is good. At school you got a coloured rosette and a plate silver cup if you came first, other times you get an awkward silence. Its swings and roundabouts.

Here is one way of creating acceleration into a throw from a static or slow moving situation during uchikomi and nagekomi.

I call it the Ďtouch stepí because you bring your feet so that they almost touch to create speed for the step.

We start with the usual positioning

Then tori brings his foot to his other foot

This generates energy that can be released into the step.

Shown in a moving example with an O soto gari henka.

I have many more tips and tricks, however, a true martial artist never reveals all of his moves and always keeps some in reserve so that the student can never become the master.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 7:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really needed a laugh, that was hilarious and informative at the same time! Kintanon and Cullion are trying, but you just have a way with words.

I was doing the "touch step" last night as tandoku renshuu, for Osoto Gari and for ashi barai. My students were cooling down and asked me what I was doing. I just gave them an enigmatic smile...because I didn't have a name for it. Now I do! Not as good as Dynamic Delay (tm), but still useful.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 7:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I really needed a laugh, that was hilarious and informative at the same time! Kintanon and Cullion are trying, but you just have a way with words.
    Lol, cheers. I bet you've done a few of the breath catching tricks in your time.

I was doing the "touch step" last night as tandoku renshuu, for Osoto Gari and for ashi barai. My students were cooling down and asked me what I was doing. I just gave them an enigmatic smile...because I didn't have a name for it. Now I do! Not as good as Dynamic Delay (tm), but still useful.

Ben
    I made it up as I was writing the article, I'll try and have a think of a piffier name, because you're right it doesn't have the same ring to it as dynamic delay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 11:48am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slick stuff, I was already doing the "oh, Im supposed to be on that side?" trick in class though, Which means Im not as clever and original as I thought I was. I have to think of something new.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 11:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Old as the hills that one, I'm afraid.

Ben, I know you have a few tricks up your sleeve got any to share?

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 3:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Lol, cheers. I bet you've done a few of the breath catching tricks in your time.

I made it up as I was writing the article, I'll try and have a think of a piffier name, because you're right it doesn't have the same ring to it as dynamic delay.
    A few times, no doubt. I remember when they brought in the rule change about fixing your belt or uniform without the referee telling you. Because everybody was always fixing their jacket or whatever to catch their breath.

Judo matches used to look like a fix your uniform contest. At one point, the refs were having you fix the uniform at every mate'.

The touch step as I was doing it seems like or can be form of Dynamic Delay(tm).

Ben

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 4:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Old as the hills that one, I'm afraid.

Ben, I know you have a few tricks up your sleeve got any to share?
    I used to fake guys out into stepping out when it was a keikoku penalty. Then I'd get thrown for ippon, LOL.

One that used to be more common was to purposely put your own collar over your face when being attacked by shime waza. It used to be that if you got your hands on someone's face it was a penalty, from front side or behind. Or purposely put your face in position to where tori was touching it.

Another one was to tuck the chin and open your mouth, baring our teeth as a choke defense. Not reccomended!

Then the old digging the knuckles in to the neck from the back to get the fingers in for a choke, and the reverse Ryote Jime done the same way. That was popular for a while, but it was more of a nerve attack than choke, so it's not legal anymore.

Milking the 3 medical treatments was also a good one. You could get treated for all sorts of stuff. Newer rules have pretty much gotten rid of that chance to rest.

Of course, Kani Basami was popular for breaking legs/ankles/knees by those who couldn't win otherwise.

I'm outta here, don't want to get caught in High School graduation traffic. Or the shenannigans to follow.

Ben

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 6:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to fake guys out into stepping out when it was a keikoku penalty. Then I'd get thrown for ippon, LOL.
    I like the edge play stuff. I might ask my coach to show me some tips for how he used to do edge playing. Its still pretty relevant as well as you can always use it in clubs when its getting near the mat edge/ wall and stuff like MMA where people don't want to be put up against the cage.

Then the old digging the knuckles in to the neck from the back to get the fingers in for a choke, and the reverse Ryote Jime done the same way. That was popular for a while, but it was more of a nerve attack than choke, so it's not legal anymore.
    That's illegal? ****. I do that pretty much every randori, lol!

One of the BJA regional technical officers was saying that the old lapel 'slip' is now illegal. I was surprised at that. I quite like that one.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 6:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's always fucking one.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 6:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the edge play stuff. I might ask my coach to show me some tips for how he used to do edge playing. Its still pretty relevant as well as you can always use it in clubs when its getting near the mat edge/ wall and stuff like MMA where people don't want to be put up against the cage.

One of the BJA regional technical officers was saying that the old lapel 'slip' is now illegal. I was surprised at that. I quite like that one.
    You can't intentionally grind your knuckles into the side of the neck. People were doing it with no intention to choke. You can still try to dig in for a choke, though.

There are still ways to play the edge. It is still a penalty to step out if it is not part of the action. Just walking out intentionally or otherwise is shido. It is not however as big a deal as it used to be.

I was not ever that much of an tactical edge player. It was mostly about getting the penalty and I did of course proper Judo as much as possible. Or at least attempted to do so.

Ben
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast