Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 6:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Spunky
    Um, well, I actually have, but they must have been lousy cuz not being one myself I clearly don't know **** about taking someone down.

Okay... sass aside, you know there are certain mechanics that go into a throw. If you notice the person is attempting a throw, rather than directly fight it (we all know how that goes) you displace to a position that negates those mechanics. Do it as the guy enters and take his balance. It's really not that huge of a concept and I'm sure just about everyone has some technique to demonstrate it. I'm not saying the guy dies when you counter the throw :), obviously it continues, what I'm sayingis if someone just tries to disbalance and throw you from a balanced position it is not difficult to stop *that* throw.

e.g. someone enters seoi nage, settle your hips down and beside his as he attempts his kuzushi to cancel the leverage, from there it is pretty easy to pop him in the kidney or strike down into the hip bowl. There's obviously a necessary timing because its best if he feels he has you for a moment. Now if you are already stumbling toward or overcommitted in that direction and he takes seoi nage as a continuation of your present motion (ie, the throw presents itself), you're better off receiving it and trying to do something on the way over. Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, I almost hope I am.

And erm, the examples provided by NHB Ben aren't usually situations where the victor made use of a judo grip/throw.
    Firstly, I'll just repeat what drunkenj had said: Punches are easy to block. You see a fist flying at your head you either move or block it. Cake. Punches are useless for MMA competition.

Secondly, I'll be happy to point out names of judo throws commonly used in my examples: Ura Nage (AKA German Suplex), Tani Otoshi (AKA Seatbelt single-leg), Kibisu Gaeshi (AKA heel pick), an--my personal favorite--Morote-Gari (the double leg takedown). I can name more if you like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 6:14am

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a poorly timed technique is fucked up no matter WHAT it is.

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 7:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is Omega when he could be of some use, He has posted before about when he has used throws commonly found in judo in mma competition.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 7:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O.k now soul mind fist is acting nuts. Great its all happening. Listen you stooge I'm not trying to put anyone down or to make fun of any art. I have respect for all arts unlike others I do NOT call this person a fake or such and such style rubbish. I just call it like I see it and bring examples of my own experiance and what I have witnessed to share with you guys. What I posted was true. Yeah try going up to a Muay Thai champ and apply a judo hold in order to set him up for a throw.

Clinch or no fuckin clinch the moment your in there its shin kicks to the leg,knees to the ribs and elbows to the face. Not very pleasent conditions for applying a throw or take down and I very much doubt that Judo guys are used to people striking them very hard in sensitive areas while they are trying to put on a throw.

ANd as for this UFC grapplers rule over strikers business. Again not always. Just because the Gracies can tap out hardcore stand up strikers, dosen't mean every grappler can.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 7:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So there ...
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Titan

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 7:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Not very pleasent conditions for applying a throw"

Who said anything about it being pleasent. Sure you might take a few shots but it won't KO you.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 7:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my coach was training one of his friends for a thai fight, for two weeks before the fight they worked hip throws from the thai clinch, he threw his opponent repeatedly

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 7:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering how MANY throws there are in judo, I am sure that you can find a couple that will work in MMA competition.
    Consdering that many throws in Judo can be NO-Gi throws, they will work fine.
    There are even throws that are basically "suplexes" and "pick up and slam 'em" throws, and we have ALL seen those work in MMA competitions.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 7:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. And having some dude trying to tackle you, toss you, and unbalance you makes for a great striking situation.

Additionally, judo fighters are not pussies. I'm not sure where you get off trying to make that implication.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. For all intensive purposes, Judo = Wrestling. What is the difference? Well, if you adapt judo to deal with fighting with no gi you get wrestling. If you adapt wrestling to dealing with the gi, you've got judo. I'd say almost all moves are translatable between the two to varying degrees. You've got to be able to adapt to your situation no matter what art you practice.

And if you're trying to tell me that wrestlers (judoka) stands no chance against a MT fighter, you're probably not worth discussing this with.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    3/25/2004 8:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too many people still have very little idead what judo is.
    They see the olympics and think, THAT is judo.
    NO, its not, that is Olympic Sport Judo, with Olympic sports rules.
    If you don't get what that means, then NO amount of bullshido will be able to bring you into reality.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast