Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2004 12:56am

Style: JKD, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm gonna try the BJJ now

Well, I had a few days to think, and I've decided to try out the BJJ stuff. As said before, classes are way cheaper than the other school (going for $195 a month), the guy doesn't have people getting there knees broken like in the Judo school, and the class ends when we want it to. Typically the class runs from 8-9, but sometimes will go as far as 10:30, and once 9 rolls around we are free to go, or stay and train. I got out of there the other night at 9:45.

The class I attended was small, not sure if this was everyone (I doubt it). There were 3 other guys and a girl, plus me and the teacher. We started on doing some techniques, then went into free grappling. Me, having almost no experience in grappling, pretty much got my butt handed to me. Rather than my partner just beating me over and over, he actually gave me a chance and I managed to get into the position of an arm bar twice, ankle locks 3 times, and put him in the mount a few times. Once I got to those, I had no frigging idea wtf to do next.

Then we did a drill where we kicked the heavy pad doing Muay Thai kicks and then locking the partner or something. Yeah, seemed pretty cool that he was teaching Muay Thai (a little, not a whole class).

And then finally we did the free fight drill. Basically one person is the BJJ guy, and the other is a boxer/kickboxer/grappler who has some big boxing gloves on and beats the crap out of the BJJ guy. The BJJ guy is supposed to stop them and have them pretty much in a position where he or she can no longer fight, and take minimal blows. Pretty awesome cause the people wouldn't sit there and "tap tap tap", they would run in with the arms wailing like a sissy street punk does and throwing wild punches, or occasionally getting in good shots like a boxer. Most of the time, the grappler would only get struck at most 4 times before putting the attacker down. Sometimes only one punch would connect before the attacker was on the ground and in a position where he could not fight.

After that class was dismissed and I left.

Tuesday is gi night, and Thursday is no gi/Vale Tudo night. I need to order a gi now, which I know where I am getting mine.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/04/2004 12:59am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a great school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    4/04/2004 1:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds good.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    4/04/2004 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be careful, though. Grappling is more addictive than crack cocaine. Once you start, it will consume your life (and give you funny-looking ears, but that's being addressed in another thread tonight). And no, it doesn't give you the ghey. Unless you. . . naw, never mind. . .:)
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    4/04/2004 1:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've lost my girlfriend, my job, my house, and my dog, but just the high I get by finishing someone is well worth it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2004 1:16am

Style: JKD, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last time I checked, I perfered women.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/04/2004 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That will change Philbert.
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    4/04/2004 1:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry, that will soon change. . .
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Administrator

Posted On:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit, Anthony, you read my mind :)

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast