5/31/2011 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Orange
    3 years
    I'm going to be nice.

You have no business teaching self defense applications of Judo. You have no business teaching any Judo period. If your sensei has to ask you to do this for him, then I'd say he shouldn't be teaching self defense applications of Judo either, because if he knew anything, he wouldn't be asking an orange belt to research it for him.

I can see him getting you to research as some sort of project for your development, and if that's the case, OK.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 9:28pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not familiar with Judo, but are you suggesting throwing someone who you have an argument with and it has escalated to the point he pushes you? I guess it would solidify your stance in the argument, but when the police interview witnesses, would they have perceived you as defending yourself, or being a bully? Are there techniques in Judo with a parity of force on par with a push? I have only seen highlights where people are thrown pretty hard.

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Students would learn far more just by doing randori with one person attempting to throw the other who is windmilling with 16 oz gloves on than engaging in dead uke-attacks-like-this-tori-steps-here-and-does-that type drills.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 11:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Students would learn far more just by doing randori with one person attempting to throw the other who is windmilling with 16 oz gloves on than engaging in dead uke-attacks-like-this-tori-steps-here-and-does-that type drills.
    That's assuming they can even do a simple throw against a uke who is simply standing their or walking forward. Which for most orange belts in my experience is probably not true,let along throw someone in normal non-punching randori.

To use Judo for self defense requires one to be proficient at Judo, against judoka. That is why the Goshin Jutsu of Judo is considered an advanced form of training (in Judo at least).

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 4:35am

Style: Karate, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That's assuming they can even do a simple throw against a uke who is simply standing their or walking forward. Which for most orange belts in my experience is probably not true,let along throw someone in normal non-punching randori.

To use Judo for self defense requires one to be proficient at Judo, against judoka. That is why the Goshin Jutsu of Judo is considered an advanced form of training (in Judo at least).

Ben
    I suspected as much so the OP can really take from this: Stop worring about SD. Get good at judo first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 5:49am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a sankyu, I don't know a whole lot, but I've learned one thing: if a parade of black belts tells you something, and you're an orange belt, you should listen to them. In Judo, the belt's not simply decorative, or even simply a marker of muscular reflex. It's a sign that they don't have their heads that deep in their asses.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 7:20am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5 View Post
    One of reasons why I like my Judo class is that no one ever mentions anything about self defence.
    You mean ye don't do any kata at all?

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 7:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last time I did kata was 3 years ago for a demo outside the student's union. The time before that was when I was 12/13.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 7:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    And your self-defence experience/ qualifications?
    Firstly I would like to state that this line of questioning is not relevent to the thread. I am not asking ye if ye think I would make a suitable self defence trainer. My sensei (who is incidentall a retired Garda Sgt and All Ireland judo champion in his day), club and comrades have faith in me and that is good enough for me.

However out of respect for your seniority on this forum and as a judoka I will endulge you.

Self Defence Experiance
    I have been mugged and robbed
    I have walked away from a fight, talked my way out and fought my way out.
    I have taken a beating, and I am proud to say never dished one out
    I have worked as a bouncer and in a hospital A&E. In both situations I have had occasion to defend myself, others and restrain an aggressor

Training Experiance

I have worked as an outward bounds instructor
    I currently work as a building skills instructor in college and to individuals
    I am often asked to assist training of new judoka in the club

Qualifications
    I have no formal qualification to teach self defence, other than a 2-2 from the university of life

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 7:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post
    As a sankyu, I don't know a whole lot, but I've learned one thing: if a parade of black belts tells you something, and you're an orange belt, you should listen to them. In Judo, the belt's not simply decorative, or even simply a marker of muscular reflex. It's a sign that they don't have their heads that deep in their asses.
    This is why I am asking ye all for your opinions, if we could just stay focused on the question posed in this thread. Thanks
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast