Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Swank- If full contact sparring is your primary goal, try any one of kyokusin, boxing, kickboxing, judo, or grappling with live sparring/competition (wrestling, JJ, BJJ). Any of the aforementioned will work in self-defense because in training you and your opponent are attacking hard, attacking full speed, and being forced to defend or lose. Never mind which art/sport is better because the undisciplined idiot who attacks you for no reason will probably lack the training and finesse of you and your training partners and he will have no idea what art/sport you are good at and therefore will be unsuspecting when you blast him. Shotokan in a point-sparring-only school is better than nothing, but for better self defense you should supplement your training with DAILY heavy bag/makiwara AS HARD AS YOU CAN and with boxing/sparring with any boxer/kyuokusin/BJJ/Judo etc guys you can meet up with. And lift really heavy deadlifts and squats.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 9:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Shotokan, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in bjj and just started shotokon (very cheap where I live). The main reason I started shotokon was my girlfriend talked me into it. I dont like some of their selfdefence techniques because ive never heard of anyone being attacked liked that nor the punches so far(cant say too much on it because im very green still.) But I do like some kicking training because they use dummys, pads, and standup bags(cant think of the actual name.) I can see katas being good exercise. Havent sparred yet but have witnessed it and its point sparring with only stricks to the torso, top and side head, and groin(which of course is useful) and you wear pads on head, hands, and feet. But I do like that they make one spar against mutiple opponets from time to time. They also dont place much on physical conditioning except my girlfriends but thats because she worksout with me and was a good athelete in school. I will say though for the price I pay its worth it and the guy isnt in it for the money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 6:52am

Style: Nihon Koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wytsal, maybe it's your Texan accent, but I'd suggest that you change your stylefield into shotokan, the 'kon' variety commands strange mental images with me.

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 9:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    Wytsal, maybe it's your Texan accent, but I'd suggest that you change your stylefield into shotokan, the 'kon' variety commands strange mental images with me.
    Wouldn't Texan be "Show D' Kaawwwwn"?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha my bad got in a fast typing mood and didnt think....and boo there are too many texas accents...im in northeast texas and i have trouble understanding other texans from other parts

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** i just realized what i was doin not boo, vieux. haha
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123