218284 Bullies, 9253 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/30/2011 3:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one said recommendations are bad many of us said they do not answer the questions asked. If I ask you for your legal credentials and you give me letters of recommendations you didn't answer my question. It is worse when you are avoiding questions while saying "if you were in my circles," "you must be local," and "everything else is private."

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/30/2011 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    I'll damn it with faint praise. There seems to be lots of emphasis a variation of a face palm which seeks to jab/obstruct the eye, and move into head control. This is not bad, but without seeing how these moves are set up, and then trained against a resisting opponent, its nothing special or out of the ordinary.

Incidently I don't mind that he posted some endorsements from LEOs who have taken his class, and used their names (a point in his favor) but there are reasons for letters of recommendation which specifically explain why a course was so great as verses a blurb. I still don't know why his training is better then say, the average DT that any officer receives during their police academy training.

Ways for him to make his marketing better.

1) A ten minute introductory lesson on his site showing what he can teach. It can be basic, basic, basic, you take a technique, explain the principles that make it work, show several varations that would say make it work against someone much taller then you, and then show some resistant type drills you can practice.

2) If M Ayoob, thought this guys material was really good, I'd reconsider my opinion.
    From what I have read of M Ayoob's perspective on DT, I can't imagine it to be so, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/30/2011 6:04pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think he and Ayoob have ever crossed paths.

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Posted On:
    5/30/2011 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh well, maybe next time! I could go into my closet right now and pull out a bunch of thank you letters and certs for teaching classes! But in reality they mean nothing!! They are handed out like candy! That's why I love bullshido!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    I don't think he and Ayoob have ever crossed paths.
    Me either

I don't think Ayoob would be impressed by ninja. Other than for humor purposes.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Silent Guardian

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 4:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to stress to anyone reading this thread or thinking of doing anything along these lines. Most of these "sytems" of combat are all the same they say "we have taken out all the fluff." "Our system has been proven effective by LEO or MIL." If this was the case then that system just like dick extension pills would be used by everyone and we would all be walking around with the ability to kick each others ass with a huge cock.

LEO and military are just like everyone else on the planet. Only through continued training and dedication can an LEO or military personel hope to gain a profiecentcy in HTH JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER NORMAL HUMAN THAT WALKS THE FUCKING PLANET.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 5:16pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This looks like the classic attempt to build some "internet cred" to support some sort of H2H/Seminar/Training business.

1) Understand what stress does to the body. From this we can develop counter-strategies.
    2) Learn how to tactically breathe.
    3) Use gross motor movements
    4) Train scenarios as much as possible for innoculation purposes.
    Is this supposed to be some sort of revelation? Has the OP never heard of the SPEAR system? Simunitions?

Theres been plenty of developments in Tactical/LE combatives, the issue (as it has always been) is how you schedule and pay for (overtime) in-service training often enough to do any good. One or two seminars a year is not going to cut it. Most departments won't have the manpower or money to have 2-3 day a week training sessions, or be willing to deal with all the workman comp claims that are bound to come when coppers get injured in training. If you want to see proficient DT trained cops they will just have to go out and get training on their own. It's the same thing with fitness. A yearly PT test or a few mandated exercise sessions a year is not going to do squat. You have to take responsibility for your own training.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 5:32pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he got the hint.....he has not responded back yet. After looking at his video I was not impressed in any way. He uses a lot of big fancy words during his seminar but the techniques he shows won't actually work on the streets. You can't say a technique is going to work unless it is tested under stress of going against a live resistant opponent.

I have had this argument on several forums with these reality based martial art individuals. You ask them if they spar and they will tell you they can't spar because of injuries that could occur. Well how in the hell do know if it works if you don't spar.

People want to take the easy way out and train just by only doing techniques on each other with no resistance and call it a day. They feel good about themselves and have this false sense of confidence until they meet some dude that beats their ass. Then they ask themselves "How did I fail?"

Welterweight

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First Class1 year registeredTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    You can't say a technique is going to work unless it is tested under stress of going against a live resistant opponent.

I have had this argument on several forums with these reality based martial art individuals. You ask them if they spar and they will tell you they can't spar because of injuries that could occur. Well how in the hell do know if it works if you don't spar.

People want to take the easy way out and train just by only doing techniques on each other with no resistance and call it a day. They feel good about themselves and have this false sense of confidence until they meet some dude that beats their ass. Then they ask themselves "How did I fail?"
    I personally think that this whole thread in of itself can be perfectly summed up in these words by Mr. Python. No matter how well your techniques look, or how well they are thought out---unless you train against an actively resistant opponent, how in the name of nine hells do you know if they're actually going to work? Sparring or controlled fighting/rolling whatever you want to call it, is a fucking NECESSITY---ESPECIALLY if you plan on teaching a so-called "Reality Based Martial Art." If you don't---how the hell is that in any way, shape or form, "reality"? Your perfect kung-fu in the classroom against a willing and pliable training partner should not breed any sort of bravado or confidence, as you're not actually doing **** to begin with.

Bah...I will not beat this dead horse further. I need to go make a sammich!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** I MISSED THIS!!! Need to check back more often.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast