Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 4:58am

Style: BAWXIN'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same **** with my grandma breast cancer twice, open heart surgery, arthritis in both of her hands, and she still out works me

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 5:57am

Style: Boxing/Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow this thread has devolved into a "My pain is greater than yours"-contest. Since this is YMAS, it was to be expected. However, I fail to see the connection between having survived though **** on the one hand and looking down on people who haven't. Where does this outlandish idea come from that, somehow, pain is quantifiable?
    Last edited by cufaol; 5/29/2011 6:15am at .

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 6:07am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My nephew (21 years old) started Chemo on New Years Eve...thankfully he has been told that the cancer is dead and the Chemo will finish next month. He will likely live in its Shadow.

Tonight, I shall attend a surprise dinner for a very senior Trad JJ instructor. He is Terminal with 3 months to 18 months to live. It will be a Black Tie dinner and we shall laugh but inside, it will be a little different. (2 years ago, my sensei and I visited him in the Royal Free Hospital, London, following surgery on his Pancreas - yes, cancer...so now it's come back).

Elsewhere I posted about my training colleague, 60+years who came back from a Stroke and Heart Attack.

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 6:34am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to come on here and talk about my training this weekend, how hard I trained, how sore I am ... then I read this and felt the need to do more push-ups and go for a sprint.

:)

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 8:44am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cufaol View Post
    Somehow this thread has devolved into a "My pain is greater than yours"-contest. Since this is YMAS, it was to be expected. However, I fail to see the connection between having survived though **** on the one hand and looking down on people who haven't. Where does this outlandish idea come from that, somehow, pain is quantifiable?
    I think the point was more, look what these people got through, and still train..don't bitch about it's hard to train.
    I don't think the thread devolved...in fact, I think it's recovered nicely from the insensitivity derail. I'm glad this **** got unlocked.

I doubt it's so much about looking down on people who haven't suffered enough. More likely not wanting to hear the entitlement of the relatively comfortable. I can relate.

Within my profession, I don't like to hear bitching about 'my fingers hurt' or whining about carrying gear, or sleep logistics. I learned on a warped 18 fret acoustic, lived in a rehearsal building, duct taped guitars, used belts as guitar straps, and have been through relative hell to play music as much as I do, and make the shows happen. I don't resent artists who haven't suffered, or faced some adversity, but I resent hearing about their petty grievances, as though they're heavy. Get over it, and persevere...or STFU and quit.

ex: (then I'll stop). Yes guitar amps are heavy random entitled gig-fodder, but I took a 150 lb PA setup on the commuter rail to R.I. carried half a mile from Providence station to the venue, played a 3.5 hour show, dragged it back to the station, sat guarding it until the trains started up again, and took it via train/subway home to Boston. Round trip - 12 hours. Pay - $80 minus expeses, so you will do whatever it takes to make your show-up-and-improv $50+.

I know three blind street musicians, and even a guy with no legs who gets out to the sub to play. I don't want to hear it from some no0b over aching fingertips...or wrist fatigue (insert joke).
    Sorry for the sorta-music-derail, but I imagine the OP was feeling the martial version of what I experience in my field of non-suck (all clumsy, no ninja).

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cufaol View Post
    Lol, I know what you mean. I'm studying to be a nurse, and we ask people to quantify thier pain all the time. On a scale of one to ten is a pretty innacurate reading, because everyone experiences it differently. But I don't think that's the case here.

Even with my limited experiences I've seen some people in serious pain. Going through the worst times of thier life. Patients and families dealing with things that I couldn't imagine.
    So, when people tell me that thier shoulder is killing them I can't help but think 'you're still talking, walking and breathing normally, it can't be that bad'. Why? Not because I look down on them, at all, pain is pain and shouldn't be ignored. But because I have a different perspective of other people in pain.

When comparing people, damn right that some people handle themselves better than others. Some people do extraordinary things in comparison to me. In comparison to others I probably do some cool ****. Personally, I like wake up calls like this.
    Because the person I make the most excuses to is myself.

*Edit, dammit, boby. Got in while I was checking my spelling.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 9:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    You close the thread then open it, and threaten me for posting on a forum???
    I didn't close the thread numbnuts.

Then you grab what I tell you in a pm, where I try to have a civil discussion with you and you put it here?
    **** you. You cross the line and you come crying.
    Lmao I could care less anymore. Close the thread if you like, call me a ***** all you like. I have no issues with anyone so I'm not going to get into a street fight with anyone.
    Good, enjoy your ban. I told you not to send me a PM. I erased it before reading it. You can come back in 7 days. Maybe if you grow a pair you'll stop you **** posturing and meet me face to face.

You don't like my jokes about cancer, tough ****.
    No, because it wasn't a joke. When it was poorly delivered you didn't bother to apologized. You think because you have cancer it makes you fucking special? I've lost some very special people to cancer. I'm watching the health of two of my mentors fight with cancer. My mom went years fighting her cancer.

You're a craving piece of ****.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 9:59am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    I think the point was more, look what these people got through, and still train..don't bitch about it's hard to train.
    I don't think the thread devolved...in fact, I think it's recovered nicely from the insensitivity derail. I'm glad this **** got unlocked.

I doubt it's so much about looking down on people who haven't suffered enough. More likely not wanting to hear the entitlement of the relatively comfortable. I can relate.

Within my profession, I don't like to hear bitching about 'my fingers hurt' or whining about carrying gear, or sleep logistics. I learned on a warped 18 fret acoustic, lived in a rehearsal building, duct taped guitars, used belts as guitar straps, and have been through relative hell to play music as much as I do, and make the shows happen. I don't resent artists who haven't suffered, or faced some adversity, but I resent hearing about their petty grievances, as though they're heavy. Get over it, and persevere...or STFU and quit.

ex: (then I'll stop). Yes guitar amps are heavy random entitled gig-fodder, but I took a 150 lb PA setup on the commuter rail to R.I. carried half a mile from Providence station to the venue, played a 3.5 hour show, dragged it back to the station, sat guarding it until the trains started up again, and took it via train/subway home to Boston. Round trip - 12 hours. Pay - $80 minus expeses, so you will do whatever it takes to make your show-up-and-improv $50+.

I know three blind street musicians, and even a guy with no legs who gets out to the sub to play. I don't want to hear it from some no0b over aching fingertips...or wrist fatigue (insert joke).
    Sorry for the sorta-music-derail, but I imagine the OP was feeling the martial version of what I experience in my field of non-suck (all clumsy, no ninja).
    Bingo.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post

I think the point is not that people shouldn't be allowed a little theraputic kvetching, but that you shouldn't make excuses for failure to move towards your self-stated goals. Your back hurst? I'm sure it does; I'm sure your pain is real. Just remember that for every problem in life, there's someone else with the same **** (or worse) who is not letting it stop them.

@bobby I too have humped more gear than broads ;) SVT + Hammond B3 = gearhead powerlifting
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    5/29/2011 1:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We lost a guy from my JJJ dojo two years ago to cancer, he kept coming to class through at least two rounds of chemo. When he missed three classes in a row I knew he wasn't coming back. I think the mindset of someone battling something like that is intangibly different than the mindset of a healthy person. When I finish a day of work driving out of my way on my way home to stop at the dojo for two hours can seem like a chore. To someone who is battling for their life it is a priviledge.

PS- Don't crack on people's mommas. That will get your glasses turned into contacts on either coast.
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast