Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right....about the sand, maybe I am sad so many kung fu videos just suck ass so when good ones come along I get a little defensive.

As far as the first video, I'd bet on huge skill difference since one is a monk disciple and the other is wearing a college sweats. But that's just a guess. I may have been wrong to say both were Shi De Jian's disciples (I got that from the YT summary), since that term has specific meaning. My guess is the monk is the disciple, and the college kid is a visitor or something. Still, the monk puts him on his ass plenty of times...not a bad lesson :)

I think you are an MMA guy (if I'm wrong correct me)...so if you want ACTION, Watch Master Shafig's real fight videos (the first video I posted), which is the same guy as in the second of the OP's videos.

Watch 0:45s of that video, and you'll see one of the greatest kick knockouts ever recorded on video.

In fact it was made into a great kung fu animated GIF classic (Shafiq is in red....don't mess with his Afghan kung fu).

This one is avatar worthy, I think you will agree.

IMHO, real Kung fu training is fast, slow...speeds up, slows down...sometimes freezes when the technique is visible and that's when you learn a lot. By the end of the first video they are sparring pretty hard, throwing each other into chairs lol.

I think the last 15 seconds of the first monk video are some of the best.

At least that's what I see in the videos, but maybe our perspectives were just different.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/28/2011 8:38pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 6:02am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not even sure what's going on in Afganistan is really kungfu, but at least they train and spar hard.

The stuff with the "monks" is pretty decent, if they ever got into any real sparring mindset. The throws and counters looked decent enough, but... in my opinion, they needed to jacket/glove up and give it a go in order to see what it really looks like in application instead of "you throw this and I do that to counter" stuff.

We've all seen WAY TOO MUCH fantasy stuff to let this slide as THE REALZ.

Or, maybe I'm just in a shitty mood from seeing this:
    Last edited by nomamao; 5/31/2011 6:25am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 6:34am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    This one is avatar worthy, I think you will agree.

Quick point, I severely sprained both wrists by landing like the above guys from trips and sweeps on two separate occasions. It was the perfect impetus to start trying to make my break falls become natural movements (still a work in progress). Great kicking skills in that vid btw, just pointing out that both fighters react to falling without applying any break falls. Easier to point out than to do from those positions but still worth mentioning.

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 12:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    I'm not even sure what's going on in Afganistan is really kungfu, but at least they train and spar hard.
    It is (chinese based) kung fu. Master Shafiq is a well known instructor of "shaolin" based arts (yeah yeah...) and runs an international school (not sure if it's the ones in the videos above since those are old and grainy).

He was supposedly taught kung fu by his older brother.

The nice thing about Shafiq is he is one of those hard training kung fu guys who, over the last 20 years or so, has had no problem signing up for and winning competitions and challenge fights.

Those Afghanis are tough hombres.

He does have a competition record, including against other stylists: karate, kickboxers, TKD. I don't know the details but his bio is here. I am pretty sure ALL of the competition video is online in various places.

http://www.eskfa.com/about-1/
    I am the proud winner of 93 out of 99 fights in all different styles of Martial Arts, such as Kung Fu, Karate, Teakwood, Kick boxing, Sanshou and more. I am five times UK and one time European Champion.
    Lots of great videos online of Master Shafiq, almost every one is worth watching.

http://www.eskfa.com/videos/
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/31/2011 12:49pm at .

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 12:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god...Tiet Kiu Saam just rolled over in his grave.

What the **** did you just make me watch? Iron Bridge Fist is a fighting set now? This is what happens when nubs train AND make videos...why can't they just train and avoid Youtube.

Why does the Internet accept these videos?
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/31/2011 12:51pm at . Reason: Answer: so that they find their way to Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 6:58pm

Style: PMA, CLF, Longfist n more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is this dude is serious about what he's saying... I am now ashamed to be considered a noob.

Also, I dont want to bust on master Shafiq, but i think in a match of Shaolin masters, he'd lose to this guy. IMO possibly the coolest kung fu fight on youtube
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12