Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 11:10am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should Someone Have at Least Some Competition Experience to Receive BJJ Black Belt?

Should someone a least have "any" competition experience to eventually receive a black belt. Also note that for most people it takes anywhere from 6 to 12 years.

Here is video of my opinion and just that (about 19 minutes for the impatient lol).

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 5:26pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couldn't agree more.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posting this because I am currently juggling whether to take up judo (again) or BJJ.

Before I watched the video my first thought was what are the (realistic) chances that someone gets to BB level without ever competing, especially given how commonly BJJ schools compete with each other?

Rare? I thought so.

You said "99% you've met have at least some competition experience".

Omega are you agreeing with him specifically there? You've met very few as well?

Just curious, since I am currently searching.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/27/2011 5:41pm at . Reason: typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 12:27am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I competed as a white belt and blue belt then I stopped. Also I have been in a lot of street fights using my Jiu-Jitsu however I have come across people that do compete on a regular basis but have never been in a fight in their life. There are black belts in Brazil that never compete yet they tap out people that do compete. This comes from Masters and Grandmasters that have told me this themselves.

I personally don't require my guys to compete and the ones that don't have sparred with people from other schools that do compete and do real well against them. They can win or lose in tournaments and that is fine with me but if they get their ass kicked in a street fight then I would be upset.
    Last edited by Team Python; 5/28/2011 12:30am at .

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I encourage competition simply because from my experience those who are serious about competition are in better shape and train harder. It's harder though as the skill levels increase to stay competitive at the comps. Plus beating people is awesome, and losing is great for the ego. I also feel like it presents a clear distinction about experiment in class kill in competition, which in turn makes for a better training environment.

Also competitions present a time for your coaching skills to show through and builds camaraderie. Black belts should have competition experience.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 9:45am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Posting this because I am currently juggling whether to take up judo (again) or BJJ.

Before I watched the video my first thought was what are the (realistic) chances that someone gets to BB level without ever competing, especially given how commonly BJJ schools compete with each other?

Rare? I thought so.

You said "99% you've met have at least some competition experience".

Omega are you agreeing with him specifically there? You've met very few as well?

Just curious, since I am currently searching.
    I agree with his statements in almost its entirety. Although I believe you should be able to get to blackbelt without competition(As Team Python had stated by his anecdotes) competition breeds a specific awareness. The highest I've ever competed in BJJ is purple belt although that might change soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 8:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some good points brought up. My opinion could change or there could be a special circumstance? Possibly. I just know where I am at now it will play a decent size factor. Nothing is ever counted out.MonkeyScrotumCleaning.tv

The reason I enjoy these types of topics is because if you go in with an open mind you could learn and even possibly adapt views that you may not have been aware of.

Thanks for the discussion

Jason

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 8:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    I also feel like it presents a clear distinction about experiment in class kill in competition, which in turn makes for a better training environment.
    This so much this. I hate rolling with people who never compete because they don't know the difference.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 8:46am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My gaffe and yottabit's first post have been moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106642

yottabit's second and Grey Owl's posts have been moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106693

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realize I'm not any kind of authority on this grappling stuff. But if we can accept the premise that jiujitsu is similar to chess in the mental aspects of the game, then this study provides some interesting insight into the role of tournament play on skill growth.

The Role of Deliberate Practice in Chess Expertise
    http://centauri.erin.utoronto.ca/upl...ertise2005.pdf

The discussion section is worth reading if you want to skip the majority of it. The conclusion is that tournament competition has a role and provides some useful experience, but it should not be the key component of training. Deliberate practice is a much more useful took for developing a skill like chess, and jiujitsu, than tournament play. The reasoning being beyond getting over "jitters" and learning to manage a competitive environment only takes a limited amount of tournament play. After those things are mastered or even just trained, then the skill growth from tournament play diminishes. With the rest of the time being much more usefully spent on deliberate in class practice.

"There is no doubt that participation in tournaments and coaching sessions provide certain learning opportunities that are difficult to replicate in a solitary study environment. However, our data suggest that anyone with serious thoughts about becoming a title-level player will need to engage in several thousand hours of concentrated analysis and memorization of chess tactics and positions in order to build the knowledge base necessary to achieve regular success in highly competitive chess tournaments"

The paper talks about individual study versus over-the-board play. Which I liken to drilling and technique repetition versus in class rolling. With the former being a more useful way to practice, and is the jiujitsu equivalent of deliberate practice.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 6/08/2011 11:33am at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast