218277 Bullies, 7586 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 4:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fine, I'll do it. I think it's fairly obvious, and I'm sure this is at least a semi-troll. But I'll point it out for you.

Only muay thai kicks use the hips in the way you are describing. Tae kwon do, as a karate derived art, uses snapping kicks that have speed and penetrating force. There is no hamstring injury you can get from snapping kicks. And "keeping your hands up" is irrelevant unless you are sparring and by that point I was exhausted anyway. The form being perfect no longer matters when your muscles are exhausted; the goal is to force the muscles to continue doing work.
    First of all, the "snapping" motion doesn't do **** to eliminate hamstring injuries. Because of the rapid acceleration and deceleration that occurs with the knee-snap, it may actually increase the likelihood of a hammy pull. Any kick, in theory, can cause muscle injury if you're performing a kick that's beyond your physical ability (too high, too fast, etc.).
    Keeping your hands up is never irrelevant. Sure, if you don't have an opponent you don't need to block hits. However, your body learns from the things you do in practice, the so-called "muscle memory". If you practice with your hands down, they will come down come game time. Same thing with perfect form. As you fatigue, your ability to maintain perfect technique decreases, but you should still attempt the best technique possible in training. Your body reacts both mentally and physically to fatigue. You can teach yourself to react to fatigue in certain ways, such as keeping better technique, but you have to accomplish this by training in a fatigued state on a regular basis.

Muay thai also uses the shin as the weapon for a round kick, whereas tae kwon do uses the ball of the foot. I heavily dislike shin kicks and would much rather use a modified version called the sword kick that uses your instep. It's designed for kicking while wearing shoes, you can't do it barefoot but it's considerably safer than shin kicks are. If you miss and kick with your upper shin you are going to shatter your shin. Shoes are much safer.
    First of all, the Tibia (your shin bone) is one of the largest and strongest bones in your body. A Tibia could crush a skull any day of the week. Think about it, the Tibia has to support the entire weight of the body above it. It only feels weak, because there is very little between the skin and the bone surface, and the nerve-ending density is surprisingly high. This means the shin is very sensitive to pain. But feeling pain is not the same thing as actual structural damage. Plus, the Tibia is thicker higher up near the knee, and tapers somewhat as it approaches the ankle. Thus, it's structurally more sound higher up, and is harder to break there. That is why Muay Thai fighters use the upper part of the shin to shield against opponents' kicks.
    Shoes provide protection, yes. This is a no brainer. A 5 year old could have told you that. But, what's kinder on your body will be kinder on your opponent's body. Shoes will displace the force of your kick over a larger surface area. They are also softer, so they will absorb more of the impact in crumpling. The shin provides you with a hard, sturdy contact surface that is relatively sharp. Thus, it provides a much more effective striking surface.

You don't seem to understand that what you do as a hobby doesn't equate to what I did professionally in the military. You are trying to tell me how I should work out as if you knew my body. You seem to believe you shouldn't push your body to its limits, which is actually how soldiers train because our bodies routinely get pushed to our limits when it actually matters. Your civilian martial art training does not compare to the military training I endured. I know my body. Thanks.
    I have nothing but the highest level of respect for soldiers. But this kind of crap makes me sick. First of all, I live in San Antonio, which is a HUUUUUGE military town (something like a dozen military bases or more in and around the city). Real soliders don't go around bragging about themselves and how much better they are than their civilian counterparts. At least not in public. They are honorable folk, they don't need to resort to 7th grade tactics.
    Furthermore, the military trains people how to fight wars, not h2h fights. There is a h2h curriculum, but it's based on the thought-train of: Well, if you lose your rifle, your pistol, your knife, your friends, and your radio, well then this is what you do. They are adequate hand to hand fighters, but they couldn't stand in the ring with Cain Velasquez. Simply, you're trained in a large number of skills in the military, you don't get to specialize in something as niche as hand-to-hand. (I think that when discussing soldiers and fighting wars, it's fair to refer to h2h as niche). Sure, they might be the best warriors in the world, but that's a different thing from being a fighter.

And the army seems to be very important. A lot of you do martial arts and fitness as a hobby, where the US Army has the most demanding workouts known to man.
    This notion is absolutely laughable. None of the branches of the military have the "most demanding workouts known to man". Sorry. No disrespect to soldiers, they're tough SOBs for sure. But as a strength coach, I've had dozens of soldiers as clients, and I've known a handful of them as colleagues. If there's one thing that's agreed upon across the board, it's that the military's physical fitness standards are, in fact, in the damned Stone Age. The absolute toughest section of the PT standards are: 77 pushups, 82 situps, and running 2 miles in 13 minutes. That's not easy, it's being in very good shape. But it's a LOOOOOONG way from being the toughest **** on the planet. I can't tell you how many soldiers hire personal trainers because they're not getting enough from their military workouts.
    What the military probably can claim, at least in the Special Forces, is having the toughest mental training on the planet. Go through SERE School as a SF solider, and you'll be water-boarded, interrogated, kept days without sleep, have your fingers broken, life threatened, etc. It's desgined to teach you to be impervious to the enemy's capture and interrogation techniques. That's hardcore, super-tough ****. But it's a completely different thing from having the toughest workouts known to man.

So there. Both this guy and you are gullible tools. I'd wager a month's salary neither of you have been in the military.
    Last edited by TaeBo_Master; 5/28/2011 5:00pm at .
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 5:21pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was an excellent answer, I think. I couldn't even get to the point of finding out what he was doing wrong, at least in the first video, because I can't figure out what the **** he was doing. It reminded me a bit of myself when I was about 10 and tried to teach myself martial arts and be a fighter from what I had seen in movies, making up kicks and just doing all sorts of random **** that I thought would make me stronger/ deadlier. Maybe he's had some sort of tkd training, which, I guess, is where he's more advanced than myself at age 10...

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 6:00pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Fine, I'll do it. I think it's fairly obvious, and I'm sure this is at least a semi-troll. But I'll point it out for you.

First of all, the "snapping" motion doesn't do **** to eliminate hamstring injuries. Because of the rapid acceleration and deceleration that occurs with the knee-snap, it may actually increase the likelihood of a hammy pull. Any kick, in theory, can cause muscle injury if you're performing a kick that's beyond your physical ability (too high, too fast, etc.).
    Keeping your hands up is never irrelevant. Sure, if you don't have an opponent you don't need to block hits. However, your body learns from the things you do in practice, the so-called "muscle memory". If you practice with your hands down, they will come down come game time. Same thing with perfect form. As you fatigue, your ability to maintain perfect technique decreases, but you should still attempt the best technique possible in training. Your body reacts both mentally and physically to fatigue. You can teach yourself to react to fatigue in certain ways, such as keeping better technique, but you have to accomplish this by training in a fatigued state on a regular basis.

First of all, the Tibia (your shin bone) is one of the largest and strongest bones in your body. A Tibia could crush a skull any day of the week. Think about it, the Tibia has to support the entire weight of the body above it. It only feels weak, because there is very little between the skin and the bone surface, and the nerve-ending density is surprisingly high. This means the shin is very sensitive to pain. But feeling pain is not the same thing as actual structural damage. Plus, the Tibia is thicker higher up near the knee, and tapers somewhat as it approaches the ankle. Thus, it's structurally more sound higher up, and is harder to break there. That is why Muay Thai fighters use the upper part of the shin to shield against opponents' kicks.
    Shoes provide protection, yes. This is a no brainer. A 5 year old could have told you that. But, what's kinder on your body will be kinder on your opponent's body. Shoes will displace the force of your kick over a larger surface area. They are also softer, so they will absorb more of the impact in crumpling. The shin provides you with a hard, sturdy contact surface that is relatively sharp. Thus, it provides a much more effective striking surface.

I have nothing but the highest level of respect for soldiers. But this kind of crap makes me sick. First of all, I live in San Antonio, which is a HUUUUUGE military town (something like a dozen military bases or more in and around the city). Real soliders don't go around bragging about themselves and how much better they are than their civilian counterparts. At least not in public. They are honorable folk, they don't need to resort to 7th grade tactics.
    Furthermore, the military trains people how to fight wars, not h2h fights. There is a h2h curriculum, but it's based on the thought-train of: Well, if you lose your rifle, your pistol, your knife, your friends, and your radio, well then this is what you do. They are adequate hand to hand fighters, but they couldn't stand in the ring with Cain Velasquez. Simply, you're trained in a large number of skills in the military, you don't get to specialize in something as niche as hand-to-hand. (I think that when discussing soldiers and fighting wars, it's fair to refer to h2h as niche). Sure, they might be the best warriors in the world, but that's a different thing from being a fighter.

This notion is absolutely laughable. None of the branches of the military have the "most demanding workouts known to man". Sorry. No disrespect to soldiers, they're tough SOBs for sure. But as a strength coach, I've had dozens of soldiers as clients, and I've known a handful of them as colleagues. If there's one thing that's agreed upon across the board, it's that the military's physical fitness standards are, in fact, in the damned Stone Age. The absolute toughest section of the PT standards are: 77 pushups, 82 situps, and running 2 miles in 13 minutes. That's not easy, it's being in very good shape. But it's a LOOOOOONG way from being the toughest **** on the planet. I can't tell you how many soldiers hire personal trainers because they're not getting enough from their military workouts.
    What the military probably can claim, at least in the Special Forces, is having the toughest mental training on the planet. Go through SERE School as a SF solider, and you'll be water-boarded, interrogated, kept days without sleep, have your fingers broken, life threatened, etc. It's desgined to teach you to be impervious to the enemy's capture and interrogation techniques. That's hardcore, super-tough ****. But it's a completely different thing from having the toughest workouts known to man.

So there. Both this guy and you are gullible tools. I'd wager a month's salary neither of you have been in the military.
    absolute verbal pwnage at it's finest.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 6:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I had a little convo with him in his first video... he's obviously an expert.

You clearly didn't watch my video. I have studied several martial arts throughout my life. My MOS in the Army was infantry. You need to stop trolling. This is your only warning.
    Hell, not only do I have extensive martial art training but I instructed my unit in martial art techniques. I even have certificates issued by the Army for advanced military close quarters combat. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else.
    EDIT:

This just in:

And why you think it's impossible to study several martial arts at my age is absurd. Martial arts are systems of techniques. If you learn the techniques, you learn the system. It does not take years to learn techniques.
    Last edited by Azatdawn; 5/28/2011 6:35pm at .

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Alright, I had a little convo with him in his first video... he's obviously an expert.

EDIT:

This just in:
    Those who can, DO. Those who can't, TEACH. This guy can't even teach, so where does that leave us?

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those who can, DO. Those who can't, TEACH. This guy can't even teach, so where does that leave us?
    All that I know is that I have to fight the urge to argue with an idiot on youtube. No weighted training can prepare you for that.

By the way, after looking at his channel, I'm wondering if his obsession with RPG's has had an influence on his delusion.

I love RPGs and I know I'm delusional as **** about many things.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 7:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP is either the man in the videos, or has been "Accepting his technique" in cocaine-fueled, lube-soaked nights of sweaty man love.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 7:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP is either the man in the videos, or has been "Accepting his technique" in cocaine-fueled, lube-soaked nights of sweaty man love.
    Well, jfreedan already fooled the army by adopting a pen name so he can write whatever he wants (http://www.rpgfanatic.net/), he might have tried to fool us, too.

I need to stop obsessing with this guy and get my musicology speech done...

Titanium laced beauty

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 8:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredD View Post
    And the army seems to be very important. A lot of you do martial arts and fitness as a hobby, where the US Army has the most demanding workouts known to man.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. I was in the Marine Corps. Our PT test has more stringent requirements than the regular Army's does, and the workouts in my high school wrestling sessions were more grueling than the majority of the ones I experienced in the Marine Corps.

The only exception to this was when we would go on 30 mile forced marches and PT afterward.

Also, given the similarity in your verbage and jfreedan's, I'd say the OP is the author of the video.

Note: This is not the case for Spec Ops. Those guys PT their asses off.

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 9:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, I was honestly just trying to get your opinion on this person so I thought Id ask the experts. Im subscribed to him and he uploads lots of videos based on all sorts of different subjects but I thought these videos were a bit iffy. He just looks really smart and I wanted to forward you're guys feedback to him so he could do a lot better. So let him know what hes doing wrong.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast