Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Supplementing Judo with Yoga

My hamstrings and hips are extremely tight. I could do with some flexibility training, especially since the warmups at my club involve very little stretching. I see some people on Bullshido have had good experiences with Yoga for this, but in searching for a Yoga studio, I'm slapping my forehead looking at the prices. Most of these places are $120-150/month.

One exception: http://www.thepeoplesyoga.org/ More like $55/month. Although I only intend to go once or twice a week, so I might pay per visit and only spend about $40/month if I go there.

So my question is: Are the high prices to be expected? If I did get set up with a decent Yoga studio, what is reasonable to pay for going once a week?

Style
    Kenkojuku Karate, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be sure to ask the yoga people if they spar before you join.

Nothing is worse than non-alive yoga. I tried a class once and it turned out to be nothing but Downward Dogs and Crows all session. I kept waiting for the part where we would fight, breathing fire and punching/kicking each other with rapidly expanding limbs, but it never happened. I felt so cheated.

P.S. You can easily improve your flexibility yourself for free if you can stretch at home diligently without someone forcing you to do it. Yoga will improve your core strength too though and you'll be around a lot of women if that floats your boat.
    Last edited by maofas; 5/31/2011 5:22am at .

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BKR used to do a lot of yoga and said it helped his Judo immensly. Drop him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not much help but prices can really vary with Yoga, maybe try looking at local university classes as these are often cheaper (but may not be available to you). Also be aware that there are different types/styles so make sure you're doing one that suits your needs. Pilates is another option - one that I prefer - but, again, there are more 'active' styles and you'd need to attend a class first to get a good idea of what they do.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same problems with hips and hamstrings. ANother member of the site turned me on to http://www.amazon.com/Relax-into-Str.../dp/0938045288

It helped, and for a lot less than Yoga
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    Youtube-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy a Dvd and do the workout (routine?) at home.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginner-Yoga-.../323ZUW5Q8D6YE

or youtube:

I would guess you'd be better off training with an experienced Yoger.
    But dude you can be a Youtube Yogi.

Style
    Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ
    Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to start yoga but one of the guys got Pilates certified and all I can say is its better than any yoga I have ever done.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Style
    Boxing and No Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do yoga once a week (Tuesday night 8:00-9:15pm) and I can't really feel the difference it makes. Sure, its relaxing and I sleep alot that night but, stretching-wise, I would not recommend it. I much prefer the exercises I use to do when I took TKD. They were one of the few things I learnt there that came into any practical use ;)

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Be sure to ask the yoga people if they spar before you join.

Nothing is worse than non-alive yoga. I tried a class once and it turned out to be nothing but Downward Dogs and Crows all session. I kept waiting for the part where we would fight, breathing fire and punching/kicking each other with rapidly expanding limbs, but it never happened. I felt so cheated.

P.S. You can easily improve your flexibility yourself for free if you can stretch at home diligently without someone forcing you to do it. Yoga will improve your core strength too though and you'll be around a lot of women if that floats your boat.
    Quite.

Edit: If Yoga could either give me decent physical results among a lot of women vs. turning me into a guy who can punch from ten feet away and breathe fire, I would still choose the former.
    Last edited by watchman; 5/31/2011 7:29pm at . Reason: Further thought

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YOGA FLAME
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last