Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 8:21pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh he is completely wrong and nowhere am I saying he is right. All I am saying is Two people are being meat-heads and you joined in by taking what he said out of context.

His OP is wrong because, he butchered the definition. After discussion he modified his statement. I still don't agree. He is trying to learn and that is what discussion is for in the first place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 12:37am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kreigsmachine, you've been on that karate forum that you "stumbled upon" since 2007, and have made 159 posts.

And I guess it "sucks" in that it doesn't allow a bunch of posturing, chest-puffing, and trolling... Since I joined, we've had a couple of people who weren't exactly on the mature side come in and try to act all thuggish, not having any idea who they were talking to. It happens here too, just gets handled differently, heh. On the whole, it's a good forum for Kyokushin people to discuss Kyokushin. I didn't bother with that particular thread because it doesn't interest me. Not everyone is going to be all pro-MMA there- it isn't an MMA forum. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Evergrey; 5/27/2011 12:39am at . Reason: "pasturing," lol. Spend too much time with horses.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kreigsmachine,

You're been outed by Evergrey

You go lady.

It is what it is, so to speak.

...god....summer vacation is just starting.....here we go again..........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 12:59am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, so lets say you take everything that they train in MMA gyms, codified it, gave it an obscure Asian or Asian sounding name, and found some guy, in any Asian country, who was doing something remotely similar, say almost one hundred to one hundred fifty years ago, and opened up a dojo to teach this long lost art. Would the practitioners of this art be martial artists now, because of all the window dressing and new found tradition? If they are training in the exact same techniques or variations of them, why are they not considered to be martial artists to some people? If you learn techniques from a dojo, you are a martial artist. If you learn the same techniques from a gym, you are not?

Obviously, the whole issue is, that, absurd.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 1:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    OK, so lets say you take everything that they train in MMA gyms, codified it, gave it an obscure Asian or Asian sounding name, and found some guy, in any Asian country, who was doing something remotely similar, say almost one hundred to one hundred fifty years ago, and opened up a dojo to teach this long lost art. Would the practitioners of this art be martial artists now, because of all the window dressing and new found tradition? If they are training in the exact same techniques or variations of them, why are they not considered to be martial artists to some people? If you learn techniques from a dojo, you are a martial artist. If you learn the same techniques from a gym, you are not?

Obviously, the whole issue is, that, absurd.
    Hunh? The absurdity of the thread is that he is training in Kyokushin. You know a modernized "sport" version of Karate not unlike what MMA became.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 1:56am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I liken the MMA tools and the one night a week or sporadic, fat TMAers as one in the same. We had an officer, who was self proclaimed, all that in Judo, and maybe some other styles too. Of course, he was a black belt in all he proclaimed to train in. Yeah, he weighs like 350lbs, not solid but blubbering, and got his ass handed to him a few years back by an inmate who was in full restraints. I think he may have lost some teeth in that exchange. I know he lost what little respect anyone had left for him.

Since the competitors and marketing arm of MMA have created a fashion style to go along with the sport aspect, you really do see more and more fans, not necessarily practitioners, walking around portraying the lifestyle of a fighter. Most MMA tools I know, would never step foot into a MMA gym. I don't consider someone who trains MMA to be a tool, unless they just go through the motions just like the fat assed TMAers, that only attend class so they can say they "know" a certain art. The guys I know that actually do train and train hard in MMA don't care about all that fashion stuff. You never can judge a book by its cover though, so I guess the rule at the end of the day is to respect everyone.

That is the problem I have with the MMA tools. It's like they signed on to what that one kid said in "Berry Gordie's Last Dragon" If you look like you know how to fight, you don't actually need to know how to fight. Just supplement up, hit the weight room, get big spacers in your ear lobes, put on your medium sized Tapout shirt to fit your large size frame, and walk like you're carrying a watermelon under each arm while you curl one end of your lip up twisting side to side like Robocop. I just described someone I know, so I'm not pre-judging anyone. I'm siting actual experience here. The pirates movie just came out so, I'm hoping he changes to something nautical soon.

Any how he gets to prance around, and get into people's space and hit on their girls and be an ass, while the people he is with, get to put his fires all night. He is convinced he can kick anyone's ass, but doesn't train. I have no idea where this comes from. It's not MMA. But he always seems to find his own kind in a bar or wherever they hang out. I have a family so I don't have to deal with it, and wouldn't. I would let him get is ass kicked.
    Last edited by Aikironin21; 5/27/2011 2:03am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 2:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Kreigsmachine, you've been on that karate forum that you "stumbled upon" since 2007, and have made 159 posts.
    Yeah if you'd bothered to actually read instead of skim you would have noticed I said I stumbled on this "gem" on a karate forum.

I still browse k4l occassionally and post even though I'm not an active Kyokushin practitioner anymore. I was not aware that this was a crime.
    Last edited by Kriegsmaschine; 5/27/2011 3:19am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 3:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Oh he is completely wrong and nowhere am I saying he is right. All I am saying is Two people are being meat-heads and you joined in by taking what he said out of context.
    Uh whats a meathead? and am I being one?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 3:19am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it depends on how one interperets the word "gem." I read it as a sarcastic gem.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 4:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is, I don't see how me referring to stumbling upon a thread on a forum equates to me having said I stumbled on the forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast