Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 10:06am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that learning with the sleeve grip allows to focus on proper kuzushi and especially on creating and then closing space, with the lapel grips beginners would tend to muscle it much more. At higher level less space is needed.

(OSPF: since you ask, it's "ad nauseAm")

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 10:18am

Style: Sōsetsuken

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by creativo View Post

(OSPF: since you ask, it's "ad nauseAm")
    Thank you sir.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 10:52am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was taught lapel-side ISN as a follow up to other throws. Either if your initial throw failed, or fake the initial throw and follow up with lapel-side ISN. Often times I would find it easier to get inside with the lapel grip rather than the sleeve grip which would have me starting a bit farther away to begin with.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 11:39am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was taught from the sleeve, but a lot of guys at my dojo only do it from the lapel.
    I've tried it and it was easier to get for me.
    We do both sides as a combination at my dojo and we work on both lapel and sleeve grip for the throw.

On the other hand, Morote-seoi-nage from double lapel is harder for me than a classic grip.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 12:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!

origins

An old, japanese trained American serviceman from the occupation days taught us that the sleeve grip from ISN was a holdover from JJJ days, in which the technique was a no-gi grip of the wrist, and the arm was twisted laterally, (thumb facing away from the body). This resulted in the throw snapping the elbow.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 1:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In terms of spiking some idiot in a self-defense scenario, adding to the lapel-version by also training arm-only covers idiots who aren't wearing lapels. The nightclub I work has lately relaxed its dress-code and we see more douchebags in shirts that wouldn't carry anyone like a jacket might--and then there are the morons who, as soon as it's on, rip off whatever shirt they're wearing. One might think of arm-only as a sort of "no-gi" version of the throw.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't really need the "lapel" to throw from there.

It's easy to show in person but quite hard to describe, you gather/curl up the material at their shoulder/armpit. You actually end up with a grip very similar to that of a shuai jiao player.

I think Inoue uses it a lot, I'll have a search on youtube to see if I can find something for you.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 5/27/2011 2:25pm at . Reason: Clarity. Also spelt shuai jiao wrong (again), can't we just rename it to Chinese Throwing to make it simpler?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/28/2011 11:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think we have it wrong "in the west". Competition wise, the lapel or armpit grip tends to work better because of the tighter control which requires a little less timing/sense of debana. I've trained with Japanese guys and the all did both.

I teach the sleeve side first. I experimented with teaching the lapel side version first, but beginners/novices had a much harder time with it. They tend to jam in too close, which is a common mistake on the lapel side version. The sleeve side throw better illustrates the principles of the throw, and fits well with the normal tsurikomi action. I introduce the lapel side as an experiment and judge to see when a student is ready to tackle it.

I do not teach Morote Seoi first, as I find it causes problems with elbow control for normal tsurikomi. I remember posting about this on JF and no one else seemed to have that sort of issue with it.

Lapel side is a great option that in my opinion everyone should know, especially as a opposite side throw. It is a good way to work on coordination to the opposite side without the complications of switching grips.

Sounds like maybe somebody else needs to practice it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 6:05pm

Style: Jujitsu, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, really interesting; I'm gonna try this "original" ISN tomorrow at practice. I've always struggled with ISN (but not drop ISN) - I have a feeling that this version might feel more natural.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12