Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 8:35pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

tai chi and san shou?

so i started doin william c.c. chens yang tai chi. just a little somethin different for the days i dont go to WC class. anyways...

in the curriculum, one of the last, i guess you would say, sections?..it says San shou. i checked it out on youtube and it looked like a two partner form. the applications from the form are much more noticeable! but does it ever go to full contact sanshou/sanda you see in tournaments? i always thought san shou was interchangeable with sanda?

can anyone clear this up for me? thanx!

:)

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slightly different rulesets, is my understanding.

Don't know about chen form San shou, but the sport is just a ruleset for competition.

I don't think chen tai chi is likely to translate well into San shou competition, but I'm sure it's been done.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    so i started doin william c.c. chens yang tai chi. just a little somethin different for the days i dont go to WC class. anyways...

in the curriculum, one of the last, i guess you would say, sections?..it says San shou. i checked it out on youtube and it looked like a two partner form. the applications from the form are much more noticeable! but does it ever go to full contact sanshou/sanda you see in tournaments? i always thought san shou was interchangeable with sanda?

can anyone clear this up for me? thanx!
    you're asking about william c.c. chen the former full contact fighter, whose son max chen is a noted lei tai/sanda/muay thai fighter?

http://www.williamccchen.com/maxcchen.htm

http://youtu.be/0p9t3tQ0PgU

bobby, you are familiar with max chen right? this is his dad's school.

now, some would point out that not many from that school compete in sanda (and they would be right) and that max goes and trains at the wat with phil nurse (and they would be right) but i don't think any of that takes away from sifu chen's skills.

OP, what exactly was your question? was it about the quality of the instruction at that school?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 9:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San shou can mean a few things:

All-in fighting or sparring: punches, kicks, throws, locks, the whole bit. All the resources of taiji.

The sport also called sanda: punches, kicks, throws, with boxing gloves and rounds and breaks in the action due to referee calls.

The two-person set: a choreography for practicing applications and timing and movement. This is cooperative training, a series of drills chained together, but of course can become competitive as one adds strength and speed to it. Can you make this counter work? No? Pow!

If you're interested in competing in the sport of san shou/san da, tell your teacher and he'll guide you one way or another, even if it's just to send you somewhere else to train in parallel or instead of with him. Maybe ol' WCCC will dust off his gloves and train you in it after you show some diligence in the normal class. Only one way to find out...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 9:07pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this thread looks like it has a tenuous enough connection I can put in a few questions.
    I recently came across a flier for a Tai Chi class at a medical center somewhere near to me.

First, I think I can assume that this is moreso Tai Chi for health than any sort of search for combat applications. It seems a touch expensive at '$99 for full 10 week session (1 class per week)' and probably a bit out of my range for training but it piqued my curiosity enough to ask the fellows in this section about the specifics of

-Yang Short Form Tai Chi and how it differs from other kinds of Tai Chi.
    -Marti Biker, the man teaching the class. No other reason for that than to just throw out the name as I'm sure one or two bullies would be interested in the knowledge.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you post the lin OP? You may be looking at the compusory San Shou form from official Wushu competition (yes there is a Wushu form for san shou lol)
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosai View Post
    Well, this thread looks like it has a tenuous enough connection I can put in a few questions.
    You can start a new thread you know.

-Yang Short Form Tai Chi and how it differs from other kinds of Tai Chi.
    Probably the bog standard Yang 24 form, which was designed by functionaries of the Communist Party as a stretching/breathing routine for mass education. It's easier to learn, only has vestigial martial application for the most part, and the majority of people who teach it have no idea how to develop martial skills from it, and no interest in doing so. Because it's easy to learn and teach, a lot of people have it and then bring to the local Y or a senior citizen center or stuff like that. There are some even shorter Yang forms as well, but it's probably 24, just playing the odds.

-Marti Biker, the man teaching the class.
    Never heard of him. It's nice that he spends time helping people by showing them Yang 24. Perhaps he knows more than that and also teaches other stuff elsewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 1:25pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah you guys pretty much did it for me. i didnt know san shou/da was just a rule set. from the william c.c. chen lineage, its just a two-partner form. from what my instructor said max chen is a great competitor! but he trains at a kickboxing school or somethin of that nature. and tai chi with his father of coarse.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 4:02am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi in San Shou. Not kickboxing

!!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 11:03am

Style: sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kudos to anyone that gets on a mat, in a ring or in a cage, but I hope that you did not put up that video as a representation of high level san shou/san da.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast