Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:02pm

Style: Boxing/Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Humans evolved...to punch harder!

I just read the following article: http://www.history.com/news/2011/05/...-punch-better/
    It suggests that early humans, such as the Australopithecus, started to stand up in order to punch each other in the face much harder. Although I do not believe that this is the only reason we started to walk upright, it is still nice to consider that humans have been trying to find better ways to punch one another, long before the wheel was invented.

What do you, my fellow bullies, think of this article? As I said before, I think it sounds unlikely and a bit far fetched. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by cufaol; 5/25/2011 5:03pm at . Reason: Spelling and blatant idiocy

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PLoS ONE accepts something like 70% of submissions—the peer-review is very light indeed. And the experiment really only determined that it's better to stand up kinda straight if you want to punch someone; that's a far leap from declaring, "And that's why our hominid ancestors began to stand erect." It's sort of like measuring every chimney in the town and determining that on average a fat guy could slide down them, which is consistent with the Santa Claus theory of Christmas gift distribution.

Or to put it another way: would you rather be punched by a man or a lowland gorilla?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe the current thinking is that humans started walking upright as a better cooling system, particularly for the brain, partially because an overhead sun is absorbed a lot more by a quadruped. Human evolved in an area that went from forest to savannah as the weather patterns of the Indian Ocean were changed by India pressing into Asia and causing the Himalayas, leaving our primate ancestors out of the trees and on the ground in the sun. At any rate, bipedalism predates the advanced brain of humans, and combatively, it's the advanced thinking power that allowed them to conquer beasts and fellow men, through the use of weapons and tactics, not facepunching their way across the planet. Thus, it's more likely that it goes bipedalism-intelligence-weapons, than bipedalism-facepunching. You'd also think that if the facepunching was the prime reason for bipedalism, humans would have more developed knuckles than our ancestors (we don't).

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 6:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we started doing it to look bigger. More mates, less predators. The guys who stayed upright more had a better chance of passing on their genes.

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also tools i.e weapons were critical to our evolution using the spear or the bow was much more important than throwing a left hook.

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 6:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Also tools i.e weapons were critical to our evolution using the spear or the bow was much more important than throwing a left hook.

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 6:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    “The results of this study are consistent with the hypothesis that our ancestors adopted bipedal posture so that males would be better at beating and killing each other when competing for females,”

And females went bipedal for?

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

And females went bipedal for?
    Makin' pies.

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 6:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It concerns me that the one hypothesis they mention for being upright is to beat other dudes up.

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 6:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, I've always found that fascinating how animals use tools.

Its surprising to me how clever animals are, before we got a dog I didn't really have any respect for them nor did I think they were that intelligent. Now we have one its pretty impressive the dog has learned quite a bit of English, its cunning, it can manipulate and it knows how to play on emotion, it can conceptualise the future and all sorts of other things. Very impressive.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast