Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Apples in the enterprise environment

So there is some debate here of maybe moving away from Dell to Apple for Laptops.
    or any other platform for that matter.
    I know we have quite a few IT professional up in here so I was wonder what some of your thoughts on having Apples as a standard in the enterprise environment.
    If you have them how do you handle patch management?
    Anyone out there with Kace and Apples?
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Holiday Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last office I was in that used Apple stuff had them all bootcamped to windows 7. That was more for the software we needed to run than any slur on Apple gear.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    So there is some debate here of maybe moving away from Dell to Apple for Laptops.
    or any other platform for that matter.
    I know we have quite a few IT professional up in here so I was wonder what some of your thoughts on having Apples as a standard in the enterprise environment.
    If you have them how do you handle patch management?
    Anyone out there with Kace and Apples?
    I have no KACE. OSX is a superb operating system. I don't care much for the shell. But, from a pure technology standpoint, I would love to be in an organization that only runs Macs. Which is funny to me, because I loathe iPads and iPhones.

Instead, Macs are relegated to our artists, who can be real prime donne. We have had substantial difficulty getting Macs to work reliably and consistently with Active Directory, and to work at all with our various compliance monitoring softs. I will admit this is most probably because I haven't staffed a full-time Apple support crew; but, the only way I would even consider doing that is to have a significant quantity of employees using Macs, which isn't going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

Macs are just not enterprise-ready in a mixed environment. I don't have experience with their corporate server stuff, to be fair. You may have better success with a complete organization or sub-organization on them, with appropriately federated services. But, at the end of the day, I have a business to run. Windoze admins are cheap and easy to find, and the majority of my employees have never touched a Mac. Also, the cost of the hardware makes my head spin. I wouldn't want to be the test-case for a conversion.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's to be gained by (expensively) switching to Apple?

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've been an apple guy since the early 80s, and they make really nice laptops that work very well. that being said, they have lost my phone business, and are in danger of losing my *desktop* business as well (to linux, not windows.)

my beef with them is over expandability issues with the hardware, and with the OS moving towards iOS features and away from the desktop environment that i am used to (*shakes cane at young people*) from an IT perspective i find them easier to support, and the main issue would be one of compatibility with your current services (so you have to sort that out, maybe get a single mac laptop and make sure you can do what you need.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Good point, they tend to have a following in media organisations (I've worked in a few) and the media luvvies who used them used to rave about them.

However, they couldn't coherently explain as to why they were superior to Windows machines in terms of performance, ease of use etc.

Most organisations have to watch expenditure and I'm yet to see anyone come up with a good cost based argument for upgrading a whole workforce to Macs.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A high end PC seems to be just as reliable as apple with none of the compatibility problems. Apple as a whole integrates horribly with other machine types(routers,TVs,android,etc). I just don't understand the appeal and never will.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    To be honest I am not sure part of the reason for the thread really.
    I know have reached out to some of my buddies that are work in Mac shops to see what they think, they have not responded yet.
    For Example Service Now is a Mac shop.
    My current Boss much prefers to use his mac and thinks that they Dock and Un-dock significantly better, Sleep and hibernate better.
    There is a feeling that at the end of the day that they are easier for the staffers to use.

So here are a few more details this would only be for laptops.
    We are not a laptop heavy shop.
    We have a lot of rigmarole to go throw when purchasing things.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    A high end PC seems to be just as reliable as apple with none of the compatibility problems. Apple as a whole integrates horribly with other machine types(routers,TVs,android,etc). I just don't understand the appeal and never will.
    A PC of the same cost will have more resources for sure, and as such has the potential to perform much better.
    As far as being Reliable that all comes down to software and 3rd party apps.
    However almost all of the current new hardware is more than sufficient for what 90% of the staffers are doing.
    Even our heavier end consumers such as modelers are typically not consuming local resources but are using one of our clusters.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record I am a big fan of just sticking with Dell, the hardware is so so, but the service has been great.
    Warranty work with them is never an issue what so ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last