Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USN Railgun breaks World Record

The Office of Naval Research broke their own world record Friday with a test fire of the fastest, highest kinetic energy shot ever delivered by an Electromagnetic Railgun (EMRG) weapon.

Navy Sets New World Record with Electromagnetic Railgun Demonstration

NAVAL SURFACE WARFARE CENTER DAHLGREN, Va (NNS) -- The Office of Naval Research (ONR) achieved a milestone Dec. 10 when it successfully conducted a world-record 33-megajoule shot of the Electromagnetic Railgun aboard Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division.
    "The 33-megajoule shot means the Navy can fire projectiles at least 110 nautical miles, placing Sailors and Marines at a safe standoff distance and out of harm's way, and the high velocities achievable are tactically relevant for air and missile defense," he said. "This demonstration moves us one day closer to getting this advanced capability to sea."
    33 MJ @ Mach 5. The previous record shot had been a mere 8 MJ.

From the article:
    A megajoule is a measurement of energy associated with a mass traveling at a certain velocity. In simple terms, a one-ton vehicle moving at 100 mph equals a megajoule of energy.
    December 10th, 2010 Record Breaker (high quality slo-mo at 1:45):
    YouTube - Navy Tests Electromagnetic Railgun

Previous record breaking test fire from 2008:
    YouTube - Navy's Record-Breaking Railgun Shot

Office of Naval Research EMRG Project Website

Last edited by Ice Hole; 12/11/2010 8:09pm at .

Style
    Karate-knockdown, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, if they can make it smaller and have a faster reload time.

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    Of course. Can't just be satisfied with a projectile that sets the fucking air on fire, now can we?

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Of course. Can't just be satisfied with a projectile that sets the fucking air on fire, now can we?
    Did anyone catch the MOAB in the season finale for "The Walking Dead"?

How do you perform final decontamination of a CDC facility that has run out of generator power?

With a Massive Ordnance Air Blast, how else? Zombie problems all solved.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    It's already small enough to go shipboard for testing.

Here are some older conceptual models:

Hypervelocity Electromagnetic Launch (HEL) vs. traditional ballistic trajectory

Shipboard concept design:

Last edited by Ice Hole; 12/11/2010 8:39pm at .

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work with power electronics on a daily basis, and I'm usually good at breaking the technical stuff down to ways that a layman can understand, but I'm at a loss for words at the sheer batshit insanity of that set-up.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being the geek that I am especially an EE student I think this thing is rather awesome indeed. I do how ever have to wonder if this will yield anything of any real value in the future vs that of conventional means.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Being the geek that I am especially an EE student I think this thing is rather awesome indeed. I do how ever have to wonder if this will yield anything of any real value in the future vs that of conventional means.
    Aside from raw power, the advantages of a railgun lie in its accuracy. Chemical (gunpowder) propellants have a large variable in the burn time. It's in the milliseconds, but that's an eternity when calculating fire control solutions. Railguns don't have this disadvantage, the acceleration in the internal ballistics is highly consistent and repeatable, allowing for accuracy that is unheard of in conventional artillery.

Not only will this thing put massive amount of ordinance on a target a hundred miles away, it'll drop it on a dime.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    The EMRG technology is also being looked at for non-ordnance applications like replacing the traditional catapult systems on aircrarft carriers with EM versions called EMALS, essentially replacing what is (I think) a pneumatic system with an EM one.

General Atomics in San Diego, CA received $22.1 million for a cost plus fixed fee task order under a previously awarded contract (N00014-06-D-0056, #0005) for technology development and design of an EM Rail Gun. The firm is also he main contractor for the Navy’s EMALS electro-magnetic catapult for aircraft carriers, which uses similar principles to a different end.
    EMRG tech might have a lot of potential for the coming commercial space transport industry. The greatest cost of getting payloads to space is fuel, so eliminating the need for fuel to provide the energy to reach orbit might be a big step forward. In the near future we may literally shoot satellites into space instead of sending them up in rockets.

Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope it's enough to defeat the aliens when they invade due to the SETI program.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    Bits and pieces
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I hope it's enough to defeat the aliens when they invade due to the SETI program.
    M.A.C. guns didn't do much to the covenant fleet over Earth and Reach.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... Last