Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2014 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jack the Ripper Identified

THE search to uncover the identity of Jack the Ripper appears to be over.

DNA on a shawl found near one of the victims, Catherine Eddowes, reportedly contains a match to both her and one of the chief suspects, Aaron Kosminsky.
    The Polish hairdresser, who moved to England with his family in 1881, was committed to a mental asylum at the peak of Ripper hysteria.

Revealed? ... DNA evidence reportedly confirms that Aaron Kosminski is Jack the Ripper. Picture: Supplied

The breakthrough came when Dr Jari Louhelainen, an expert in historic DNA, was commissioned to study a shawl found with Eddowes, the second-last “confirmed” victim of the Ripper more than 125 years ago.

The shawl — which still retained historic stains — had been bought by a businessman at an auction in 2007.

“It has taken a great deal of hard work, using cutting-edge scientific techniques which would not have been possible five years ago,” Dr Louhelainen told a British newspaper.
    “Once I had the profile, I could compare it to that of the female descendant of Kosminski’s sister, who had given us a sample of her DNA swabbed from inside her mouth.

“The first strand of DNA showed a 99.2 per cent match, as the analysis instrument could not determine the sequence of the missing 0.8 per cent fragment of DNA. On testing the second strand, we achieved a perfect 100 per cent match.”

Killing sports ... this map of Whitechapel in the 1800s shows Flower and Dean Streets in purple and the sites of some killings as red spots. Picture: Supplied

Kosminski was born in Poland in 1865 before moving to Whitechapel, England, in 1881.
    The murders attributed to Jack the Ripper began in 1888, with up to 11 deaths around the Whitechapel area linked to the killer.

Frances Coles, believed to be the Ripper’s last victim, died in February 1891 — the same year Kosminski was forcibly put in Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum.
    He remained in mental health facilities until his death in 1919, aged 53.
    Originally published as Is this Jack the Ripper?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/w...eff161caf3c1eb
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/07/2014 1:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, if that's confirmed by other independent sources holy crap.

Posted On:
    9/07/2014 2:20pm

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not trying to be a wiseass, but here are the questions that immediately come to mind, assuming for the sake of argument that the testing was accurate and done in good faith.

1) Was the sample tested blood, or semen? If it was not either what was actually tested for DNA?

2) The victim was a known protitute. That's not a value judgment, its a historical fact. Question, was DNA located on the shawl from other unidentified males? If so, how many? Was her DNA located on the Shawl?

All my doubts aside, this individual was considered the 1st or second most likely suspect by several Ripper authorities. See John Douglas's discussion of the crime in his book "The Cases That Haunt Us".

Posted On:
    9/07/2014 4:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, this popped up on BBC News this morning...and I remain a mite sceptical. He has a book to sell. The bloke was a suspect although the Inspector leading the investigation favoured Montagu Druitt, who drowned shortly after the Mary Kelly horror show when the Murderer had done such a dastardly deed that he must have been quite Mad indeed. Apparently, the Police view was based on private knowledge not included in the files.

But what to I know? Patricia Cornwell thinks it was Walter Sickert...

In other news....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2014 5:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    1) Was the sample tested blood, or semen? If it was not either what was actually tested for DNA?

2) The victim was a known protitute. That's not a value judgment, its a historical fact. Question, was DNA located on the shawl from other unidentified males? If so, how many? Was her DNA located on the Shawl?
    I read one of the articles at Europa Press, and theirs came to be by way of the Daily Mail, which I believe is the original. Anyhow:

The shawl contained traces of semen and blood. The blood was tested, and it belonged to the prostitute. They analyzed Eddowes' sister's modern descendants to make sure the blood was hers. The semen was Kominski's, it didn't say how they came to this conclusion.

I like the theory about the english prince being the Ripper...

Posted On:
    9/07/2014 5:54pm

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except that:

1) He was in Scotland when some of the Murders occurred.

2) 4 of the 5 victims were literally killed on the street, this was a very risky act because people were walking around London at all hours of the night. If the prince had been involved he would have had the means to lure them someplace where he would have had some privacy.

Sorry, no prince for you :)
    Last edited by Sam Browning; 9/08/2014 8:34am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 5:17am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know, but having a Prince of England be the Ripper is kewl and edgy.

Alan Moore should do a comic about it.

x)

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 9:33am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently he was jewish..and polish, so it must have been him :D .
    Though if his DNA was on the victim, couldn't it be after a sexual encounter as a costumer? There was a reason he was a suspect, maybe he was a client..

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2014 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Apparently he was jewish..and polish, so it must have been him :D .
    Though if his DNA was on the victim, couldn't it be after a sexual encounter as a costumer? There was a reason he was a suspect, maybe he was a client..
    Serial killings often have a sexual component, the ripper certainly did, so this would not be remarkable.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    9/09/2014 4:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Minor point, if it were Kosminki - as asserted by the bloke with a book to sell - how does he explain that there were no further murders committed in the Asylum? He would hardly have stopped whereas there were no more after Druitt's suicide but as I say, what do know?

Oh by the way, Old London Town was subject to Fog of such density that it was commonly referred to as a 'pea-souper' as in, it was as 'thick pea soup'. This would have been as a consequence of all the coal burned in London in factories, homes, buildings etc. It lasted until the 1960s and the Clean Air Act which forced a clean up. This resulted in Central Heating for many and a reduction in bronchitis and other such diseases. If you look at any old films shot in London - for example, the sequence in "Lawrence of Arabia" when they leave St Paul's Cathedral following the Service for Lawrence, you can see that the columns are black with soot. This was true of all building, Parliament, Buck House, Westminster Abbey. Since the Clean Air Act etc, London's buildings are clean and fairly sparkling.

Fog is very rare today so felons can quite hide in the shadows as they once did.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast