Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:57pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Ahhh so we get to the root of the problem. This wasn't asked in any of your posts. You have issues with your INSTRUCTION and you have extrapolated those OBSERVATIONS and EXPERIENCES into a flawed "Theory" involving multiple TMAs.

Your question was answered by myself and Muerteds. You are so angry that you missed them both.

Go read your OP and remember that you started the thread off being an ass.
    Negative. What's being an ass about asking knowledgeable people for information based upon what I know and read? The only thing you and Muerteds contributed to was sarcasm. I'm not even angry. I'm just trying to get info. I explained myself, you got sarcastic, I asked you to give some of your personal insight, and you got sarcastic again. Wow, you helped me alot, thanks. Now who's an ass? FYI, it's not about who's an ass, it's about trying to get answers. My cognitive dissonance astounds because I am who I am. Cool huh? Maybe it has to do with not really taking this stuff too seriously? I really like all you guys and this was actually unexpected. Disappointing actually, I expected better.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kelvis, I answered your question. Please don't get distracted with this retarded name-calling match if you're actually curious about these things.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You quoted his post where he answered one of your newer questions so, that makes you missing it even funnier.

You took his insult personally when, he was talking about the entire thread and not just you.
    IIF, how could I take anything personally when I don't even know you guys? He was being sarcastic and not answering anything. My "surprise" isn't genuine. I was being sarcastic to a sarcastic response.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvis View Post
    Negative. What's being an ass about asking knowledgeable people for information based upon what I know and read? The only thing you and Muerteds contributed to was sarcasm. I'm not even angry. I'm just trying to get info. I explained myself, you got sarcastic, I asked you to give some of your personal insight, and you got sarcastic again. Wow, you helped me alot, thanks. Now who's an ass? FYI, it's not about who's an ass, it's about trying to get answers. My cognitive dissonance astounds because I am who I am. Cool huh? Maybe it has to do with not really taking this stuff too seriously? I really like all you guys and this was actually unexpected. Disappointing actually, I expected better.
    You not liking answers and getting angry is you being an ass. Your OP contains asinine catch phrases like Flame on, the deadly and ridiculous techniques.

When people answered you seriously, you became sarcastic and it was returned.

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here it is, OP:

Do people train their "TMA" techniques live? Yes, some do.

Can they pull them off in sparring? Yes.

Why does their sparring look like kickboxing then: It doesn't always. Sometimes those "TMA" techniques are techniques for kickboxing though. Sometimes you're just looking at friggin' kickboxing, or people playing according to kickboxing rules, so of course they'd kickbox. (See my response to Witty1 for specific examples of the techniques he said weren't in sparring appearing in sparring, and then offering up my other rulesets for taiji play that of course do not look anything like kickboxing.)

You now have zero excuse to continue whining.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Kelvis, I answered your question. Please don't get distracted with this retarded name-calling match if you're actually curious about these things.
    There were quite a few good answers, and I definitely didn't get that distracted. Thanks. I really was curious and wanted some good answers. There is a lot to be digested on this site, and I posted to YMAS specifically. I have never seen a thread addressing what I stated in this post. I'm not doing the MMA vs TMA argument. I know a lot of people practice various MA and not just MMA. So I wanted some input and I guess I got it. Not necessarily what I was hoping for, but...oh well.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, what remains unanswered for you?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You not liking answers and getting angry is you being an ass. Your OP contains asinine catch phrases like Flame on, the deadly and ridiculous techniques.

When people answered you seriously, you became sarcastic and it was returned.
    Wrong. Those wonderful catch phrases were intended as reference in regards to what the general population here refer to them as. I'm really not angry. I appreciate all the serious answers I received, just not yours and a couple others. Not a problem, really.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvis View Post
    IIF, how could I take anything personally when I don't even know you guys?
    Weird:
    I really like all you guys and this was actually unexpected.
    He was being sarcastic and not answering anything.
    Let's try this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvis
    is it possible to actually USE the techniques from traditional martial arts in live sparring with a non-compliant person? And if you are a traditional martial artist, have you attempted to use the techniques when it's time to spar? Or is it thrown out?
    Quote Originally Posted by cullion
    The reason people are annoyed is because exactly this set of questions have been asked many times before. But I haven't been posting on Bullshido for a while so I'm feeling fresh and patient, so I will try and answer this patiently.

I do a form with moves in that look like very large, exaggerated, very slow versions of actual applied techniques. It's to help me stretch and cool down after training. The big, deep stances are a way of gently strengthening and stretching my legs without needing any equipment (if I do find them right).

I've never been taught to drop into a deep horse stance when sparring. I don't do the form to 'learn techniques', it's like a little yoga or lower body strength routine made out of exaggerated versions of techniques.

Does this make sense so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds
    The simple answer is, yes. Yes you can use the techniques in live sparring, yes I have used them in live sparring, and yes, they worked.

Easy answer, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iif
    Yes, to bad it wasn't in the OP with the 7 or 8 other questions.

Yes, those "worthless" techniques have worked for me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    Actually, you can see a variation on the cloud hands "block" in the "light sparring" video in 00:22-27, and again at 2:30,-2:35, "brush knee" at 1:34, and a number of other moves/techniques not listed by Witty1 across that bit of practice.

Of course, both those sparring sessions clearly were limited to striking, and about 70% of what goes into a taiji form is designed to be used either as or along with standing grappling. (Taiji is all about cheap shots once you're tangled up with someone.) A better question might be, what moves or ideas from a form can be seen in this video:
    Remeber, you said wity1 asked the question correctly so, that means answers directed at him are for you as well.

Now, your OP lumped all TMAs together with "ridiculous," "the deadly," "worthless" and "Flame on." Now, it is silly for you to expect intelligent debate when your OP is asinine and appears to be a joke. The funny thing is you still recieved answers with videos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Well, what remains unanswered for you?
    I thing now I have all my questions answered now. There were a few distractions, but despite what some have said, there were some good answers. Coach Josh is always enlightening, and you gave me your insight as well. This was what I was looking for. Others experiences. I'm not saying my theory is right or wrong, it's just a theory. By hearing what others say, I can gain from that. Even the bad stuff. PSST: I didn't make it to my mid forties by getting offended on the internet. I really enjoy a debate now and then. I don't always win though, I have to work on that...damn my cognitive dissonance...(I like that by the way)
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast