Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvis View Post
    Example: Kenpo: LONE KIMONO (front left hand lapel grab)
    • 1. Standing naturally, step back (to 6 o'clock) with your left foot when your opponents grabs your lapel with his left hand. Simultaneously pin his left hand to your chest with your left hand and deliver a right upward strike against his left elbow just above the joint thus causing the elbow to break as you pivot into a right neutral bow.
    • 2. Then circle your right arm over and down (counter clockwise) with an inward-downward strike against opponent's left forearm. Make sure that your opponent's left arm is driven down and diagonally to your left.
    • 3. After cocking your right hand slightly toward you with your right palm up, deliver a right outward chop to the right side of opponent's neck; stance throughout is still a right neutral bow. Cock your left hand at your solar plexus, ready to check when needed.

That is a technique.
    That's a combo.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kickboxing as in boxing with kicking, and TMA using techniques against your opponents method of attack.
    Example: Kenpo: LONE KIMONO (front left hand lapel grab)
    • 1. Standing naturally, step back (to 6 o'clock) with your left foot when your opponents grabs your lapel with his left hand. Simultaneously pin his left hand to your chest with your left hand and deliver a right upward strike against his left elbow just above the joint thus causing the elbow to break as you pivot into a right neutral bow.
    • 2. Then circle your right arm over and down (counter clockwise) with an inward-downward strike against opponent's left forearm. Make sure that your opponent's left arm is driven down and diagonally to your left.
    • 3. After cocking your right hand slightly toward you with your right palm up, deliver a right outward chop to the right side of opponent's neck; stance throughout is still a right neutral bow. Cock your left hand at your solar plexus, ready to check when needed.

That is a technique.
    Kickboxing is obviously what the name says. It has it's own methods. I'm not saying that it isn't effective by any matter of means, but it isn't Kenpo, or Praying Mantis Kung Fu, or Shotokan Karate, and it isn't considered a TMA imo.
    If you are trying to gauge my knowledge in the arts I can save you the trouble: Look at my profile. There ain't much there.
    I really am curious about what I posted.
    The reason people are annoyed is because exactly this set of questions have been asked many times before. But I haven't been posting on Bullshido for a while so I'm feeling fresh and patient, so I will try and answer this patiently.

I do a form with moves in that look like very large, exaggerated, very slow versions of actual applied techniques. It's to help me stretch and cool down after training. The big, deep stances are a way of gently strengthening and stretching my legs without needing any equipment (if I do find them right).

I've never been taught to drop into a deep horse stance when sparring. I don't do the form to 'learn techniques', it's like a little yoga or lower body strength routine made out of exaggerated versions of techniques.

Does this make sense so far?
    Last edited by Cullion; 5/25/2011 4:36pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:29pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    What happens, if say while doing your "Raging Kimono" technique, the opponent reacts differently and you need to pull something else out of your training. Say the double elbows to knee from "Crossing Talons" (as I assume you are using the same site I just Googled).

Are you doing it wrong?

Edit, I just realized it is "Lone Kimono"....
    No, you are not doing it wrong. You're doing it right. That's the hard part to explain to beginners. This is the move. Learn this move. Now, if something goes wrong, realize that the other moves you've done will likely have to come into play to modify it.

Hence the reason it's so hard to get a beginner to use the stuff you just spent an hour going over in the sparring. It's maddening.

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, why don't we see more people doing "lone kimono" in sport-fighting events?

For that matter, how come I haven't seen a rear collar choke in UFC in ages.

WHAT? People in the UFC don't wear gis anymore, so there's no collar to manipulate? Next thing you'll say is that people in other sorts of sport fighting don't wear jackets with lapels normally...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:33pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It isn't a theory it is an observation. A flawed one at that.
    Really? So you are saying that the example of Kenpo I used is only an observation? It's a fact. Not an observation. My theory is based upon my limited knowledge of what I know, not what I observed. I did learn techniques that weren't practiced in sparring. I want to know why. I also did some other martial arts that ended up in the same scenario as my Kenpo experience. Wouldn't it be easier to just answer my questions instead of acting like an ass?

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't it be easier to just answer my questions instead of acting like an ass?

Man, for someone whose introductory post on this thread ended with FLAME ON, you sure are a wincing waxed vagina.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did learn techniques that weren't practiced in sparring. I want to know why.
    Ahhh so we get to the root of the problem. This wasn't asked in any of your posts. You have issues with your INSTRUCTION and you have extrapolated those OBSERVATIONS and EXPERIENCES into a flawed "Theory" involving multiple TMAs.

Wouldn't it be easier to just answer my questions instead of acting like an ass?
    Your question was answered by myself and Muerteds. You are so angry that you missed them both.

Go read your OP and remember that you started the thread off being an ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:43pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerteds View Post
    Your cognitive dissonance astounds. I answered your question with very few words so you would be sure to get said answer. And still you missed it.
    Missed what? Damn, I missed it. Drop dude for not making your post simplistic enough for me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missed what? Damn, I missed it. Drop dude for not making your post simplistic enough for me.
    You quoted his post where he answered one of your newer questions so, that makes you missing it even funnier.

You took his insult personally when, he was talking about the entire thread and not just you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 4:56pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Witty1 View Post
    Let's keep in mind that the point of this thread is not to rehash whether TMA have full contact/live sparring.

The question being asked here is, is it possible to actually USE the techniques from traditional martial arts in live sparring with a non-compliant person? And if you are a traditional martial artist, have you attempted to use the techniques when it's time to spar? Or is it thrown out?
    I think thrown out for the most part....however, one of the guys I do JJJ with has a background in WC. I don't know the name of the place he trained (was in California), but once you were at a certain level, they sparred near full contact a couple times per week. I've sparred him before (not that I'm really all that good yet...only been doing KK since last September), and have found him capable of employing WC techniques and principals while maintaining that Chun center line and stance, chainpuches™ and everything.

Now, I'm pretty sure as I get better at my KK (now dabbling in Kickboxing too) techniques through additional training that I'll be able to suppress his WC training and force him to drop it, (probably could already, honestly), but I'm pretty sure that he would be able to dispatch a normal person while maintaining his Chun style, from what I've seen.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast