Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 3:39pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can hardly imagine anything short of the apocalypse where Les Stroud type survival skills are needed.

Katrina, Haiti, Myanmar were all in the news, but I don't recall much about people making fire from batteries and steel wool. Far from Thunderdome, people went someplace else for water, food, and to bathe and brush their teeth.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:06pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dabble in emergency preparedness, usually forest fires, floods or contaminated water. People are mostly sheep who just need to be told what to do. The danger after a major problem is the bad shephards telling those sheep to keep throwing S into the fan.

In North America I hypothesis that if this stuff happens in big cities, those with the closest cultural cohesion will be better prepared to survive. Having fled countries of anarchy some ethnic sub groups have more useful experience than those with legacy where rule of law has exisited for some time. People may rally along religious or cultural divides. (Gangs of New York style)

The Koreans defending their families and stores with shotguns during the race riots back in the Rodney King days would be closest to what I think the norm would be.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good topic. It's been a hobby for decades, but having wife and kids adds many challenges over what it would take to keep a single person alive and relatively well.

Water - the potable type. Better know how to filter and purify once you can no longer turn on a tap. How to get it when it's scarce.

Food - For now and later. What you can gather, plant, trap, spear, shoot, etc. What's good and what will kill you. What time of year and which part is edible.

Shelter - Gotta stay warm in the winter and not broil in the summer. Can you build your own?

Protection - both from the critters and especially the two legged varmints.

First Aid - Days of $20 copay are no more. Can you treat injuries and alleviate sickness?

What skills can benefit not only yours, but those around you? Can you fix, fabricate and scavenge what you or others need?

The list of possibilities, probabilities and problems are endless. You now have until October to prepare (-:

Tornadoes are now on the way. Computer is in the safe room. Someone come dig me out if need be.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Going back to this, my interest in the subject is mainly just a "Hurricane Katrina" sort of scenario. Likely candidates for my area range from the recent tornado which just plowed through a town two hours south of me, killing 90 people, and the collapse of the New Madrid fault line, which would wipe out most of the infrastructure of my state.

I'm not really factoring in terrorist attack because, really? So it's mostly natural disasters that are on my radar as concerns.
    If you're trapped under something without food for days waiting for rescue, fat reserves are useful.

Otherwise, I can't think of many natural hazards that a human needs to out-steady run for a mile but you might well want to be able to climb out of danger. Being lean is certainly a help there.

It might help to be a strong swimmer too.

I don't know if the long term survival skills people like Ray Mears (or whoever Les Stroud is) teach would be totally useless. You might spend a night or two without proper shelter and need to dress wounds, find clean water, light a fire etc..
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, hurricane season is probably the only time it pays to be the fat guy in a trailer park.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to add

I must stand twice to cast a shadow. Very handy for presenting smallest target possible.

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 5:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    to add

I must stand twice to cast a shadow. Very handy for presenting smallest target possible.
    Don't be too modest. Your evil Judo will always come in handy.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was in katrina (north of the hardcore disaster area, but we still got hit fucking hard)

you know what skills best served me in that SHTF week? i could safely operate a chainsaw, sledge ax, and wedge.

the fact that my dad and grandfather took me out on a million wood chopping trips is the one skill that everybody wanted from me when SHTF. you know what else helped me? the fact that i was a waiter when it happened.

i only had time to go to my bank about once a week or so. i was making 350-500 a week in cash through tips. when katrina hit, i had about 700 bucks in cash in a lock box in my closet. i also had a 9mm in that same box.

while ATMs were down everywhere, and looting was rampant for about 18 hours, i didn't go without ****. i had a gun, 300 rounds of ammo, and enough cash money to buy anything i needed to buy at a fair price while everybody else was going ape **** because they couldn't use visa as a life boat anymore.

survivalists are typically dumbtards who have never been in a real SHTF situation.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 5:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In like a total apocalypse situation I'd get myself a couple of guns and a solid, working Landie defnder. Fill it with as many supplies, jerry cans of fuel and books on how to make stuff as I could and then **** off to an island in Scotland with a whisky distillery on it.

Then live out my days as drunken lord of the isle.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm learning to weld. i'm not horrible at it right now. that's gonna be my ace in the hole when road warrior turns real.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast