222280 Bullies, 3651 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152122232425 2627 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 8:44am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chiming back in to re-iterate a point that seems to be glossed over by some:

Don't let the image of the hippie runner in the article confuse the issue; having a decent bit of extra body fat is an asset. Depending on your frame, it'd probably be ideal to have at least 10 pounds or so.

The point of the article, again, is about people who are significantly out of shape. If you're packing an extra 40 lbs of fat but can still do a mile in 8 or 9 minutes, you're probably ok. Sure, we could have titled the article "STFU about SHTF if you're out of shape and unhealthy because you neglect diet and conditioning and spend all your time jerking off about bunkers and zombies in front of your computer", but that wouldn't fit into the title field.

This bit of soapbox ranting applies equally to out of shape fat people as it does to out of shape scrawny dudes with no muscle outside of their mouse/preferred masturbation hand. The point is, you can have all the gear on the planet, but the most important tool in any situation, survival or otherwise, is your own body.

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 9:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Chiming back in to re-iterate a point that seems to be glossed over by some:

Don't let the image of the hippie runner in the article confuse the issue; having a decent bit of extra body fat is an asset. Depending on your frame, it'd probably be ideal to have at least 10 pounds or so.

The point of the article, again, is about people who are significantly out of shape. If you're packing an extra 40 lbs of fat but can still do a mile in 8 or 9 minutes, you're probably ok. Sure, we could have titled the article "STFU about SHTF if you're out of shape and unhealthy because you neglect diet and conditioning and spend all your time jerking off about bunkers and zombies in front of your computer", but that wouldn't fit into the title field.

This bit of soapbox ranting applies equally to out of shape fat people as it does to out of shape scrawny dudes with no muscle outside of their mouse/preferred masturbation hand. The point is, you can have all the gear on the planet, but the most important tool in any situation, survival or otherwise, is your own body.
    Now for the most part I agree with you being in shape is an asset in all situations, however it seems like there are alot of variables when it comes to SHTF situations even luck plays a significant role. One thing I wonder is if the opposite somewhat applies to women. I will use Katrina as my example, rape was a big problem during Katrina so one would assume that fat women had a better chance of not getting hurt there. There are just so many variables I can't see narrowing it down to just being out of shape.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    One thing I wonder is if the opposite somewhat applies to women. I will use Katrina as my example, rape was a big problem during Katrina so one would assume that fat women had a better chance of not getting hurt there.
    Why would one assume that?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 10:46am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I will use Katrina as my example, rape was a big problem during Katrina so one would assume that fat women had a better chance of not getting hurt there.
    Fat women have vaginas too.

Or so I am told.

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was just bad humor on my part, my only real point was that there are too many variables in a disaster to really say that a fit or non-fit person would truly have a better chance of survival.

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Fat women have vaginas too.

Or so I am told.
    Maybe so but do you want to go looking for it??

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 11:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Canada, you're clean, and care about your citizens, damn you.

Would Canadians survive SHTF better than Yanks?
    Yes, they have more guns per capita, snow is an awesome fresh water source, and they generally get along better than we do(see Devil). Yanks would be fucked because the first thought when the chips are down could be Donner party while the Canadian's might be hunting party. Also, more rugged terrain usually means more rugged people.

Would sparser population density work in their favor? Thoughts? Friends, Americans, Canadians?
    More rural areas who are likely to have the skills previously mentioned(farming, hunting, mechanical repair).

Densely packed cities would be the first things to degenerate into chaos. Ironically the hippies could easily be the best off of all of us due to possibly living on communes growing their own food. Just think of how valuable simple things like drugs will be worth. I know that if the **** hits the fan and I'm working on a farm all day I'd want something to ease the stress later. That might be worth a pile of carrots(or whatever currency is around then).

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 2:48am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Currency then will just as likely be a shotgun blast to the face.

In no time at all, the only reason to trade will be both sides defending themselves well enough that one side can't just take what it wants from the other.

Skills are cool because they are harder to take, but never underestimate people's love of short term thinking.

Shooting a fisherman and taking his fish, will feed a man for a day.
    Exchanging skills/goods with a fisherman will feed a man for a lifetime.

Sadly, the man will probably shoot the fisherman and rape his wife. That's if the fisherman doesn't shoot him for his purification tablets first.

And I always thought of myself as an optimist.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 12:20pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Don't let the image of the hippie runner in the article confuse the issue; having a decent bit of extra body fat is an asset.
    That hippie runner is Anton Krupicka, one of the world's premier ultra-marathoners. Dude's got no body fat because he can run 100 miles in 15 hours in the desert. He probably eats more calories than the fat guys shown.

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 12:29pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    He probably eats more calories than the fat guys shown.
    Sounds like a liability in a disaster situation.