Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this Muay Thai school bullshido?

Hey guys. Long time lurker here. I'm a huge fan of this site and definitely appreciate service it provides.

Today was my first Muay Thai class at a local dojo. Several things about it raised some red flags.

The dojo itself offers several different styles of martial arts. These include: Japanese JJ, Arnis, Aikijitsu, Karate, and Muay Thai. This is awesome, except for one problem. They're all taught by the same person. Is it possible for one person to be this qualified?

The class itself was disappointing, to say the least. It was basically an aerobics class. We would knee, kick and punch bags and gloves, followed by push-ups and sit-ups. No live sparring. Am I being too impatient? I'm only asking because I had different expectations for a kickboxing class. I don't want to write-off this class as bullshit after one session, but I also don't want to pay $80 for a month only to get a really good workout and absolutely no fighting skills. In your experience, does this sound like a standard introductory class for Muay Thai? I was asking one of the fellow students afterward if they did any live sparring, and he replied "Sometimes." Is that acceptable? Should I expect live sparring in every class?

I've been burned in the past by McDojos that offer no practical training and I don't want it to happen again, which is why I chose Muay Thai. It's a shame to think that this is no better, because that would mean there are no facilities in a 50 mile radius worth damn. Again, am I being impatient and rushing to conclusions?What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does sound suspicious that so many styles are taught by the same person, have you ever asked the instructor his lineage and training in the different styles? You are paying money for a service, you have every right to know the qualifications of the person you are seeking instruction from.

As far as the class itself; is it a class for just beginners? This could explain there being more cardio and padwork. But if the instructor is only teaching it once a week then its likely it wont change very much. Has your instructor ever fought in muay thai? If so, can you verify his record?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has a list of his qualifications on his website, but I am not knowledgeable enough to dispute any claims. There are a couple "12 time black belt hall of fame" type of things that seem like bullshit, but I really have no idea. Googling his name only brings up his website. To my knowledge, he has not been in any kind of professional Muay Thai fights.

The class is actually taught five times a week, and it's the only Muay Thai class they have, so I don't think it's necessarily just a beginner course. We're probably looking at some kind of weekend certification deal.

In all honesty, I would be mildly discouraged to find out the class is total BS as far as qualification is concerned, but I would probably still take it if they did live sparring at least a few times a week. There is nothing around here that does live sparring. It's very frustrating. I might just shell out $80 for the first month just to get a more in depth look at it. He doesn't do contracts so there's no obligation to continue after.

Style
    Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loooogan View Post
    He has a list of his qualifications on his website, but I am not knowledgeable enough to dispute any claims. There are a couple "12 time black belt hall of fame" type of things that seem like bullshit, but I really have no idea. Googling his name only brings up his website. To my knowledge, he has not been in any kind of professional Muay Thai fights.

The class is actually taught five times a week, and it's the only Muay Thai class they have, so I don't think it's necessarily just a beginner course. We're probably looking at some kind of weekend certification deal.

In all honesty, I would be mildly discouraged to find out the class is total BS as far as qualification is concerned, but I would probably still take it if they did live sparring at least a few times a week. There is nothing around here that does live sparring. It's very frustrating. I might just shell out $80 for the first month just to get a more in depth look at it. He doesn't do contracts so there's no obligation to continue after.
    Then what is the website?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't want to name the school directly or post the website. I'd rather avoid an awkward conversation if the sensei is prone to googling himself and runs into this page.

Style
    Muay Thai & Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know about the teacher,but the class sounds about right for a beginners Muay Thai class.
    If people walked in & sparred MT on their first day,it would be unpleasant for them to say the least.
    Then they'd limp out & likely not return.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't want to name the school directly or post the website. I'd rather avoid an awkward conversation if the sensei is prone to googling himself and runs into this page.
    If he's so worried about people talking honestly about his place then I would say get out.

How old are you again?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say he's worried about people talking about his school, but there's not a whole lot that comes up when you google his name or the name of the school, so if he were to, he would probably find this thread. But yeah, you've got a decent point.

I'm 25. Why do you ask?

Rickko, I get what you're saying and I agree. That's one of the reasons I'm still somewhat leaning towards signing up for at least a month.

Thanks for the advice guys. Still considering what I'm gonna do.

Style
    Tai Chi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's possible for one person to be that qualified. The honest answer is that nobody has enough to go on to tell you. You should post his website.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say he's worried about people talking about his school, but there's not a whole lot that comes up when you google his name or the name of the school, so if he were to, he would probably find this thread. But yeah, you've got a decent point.

I'm 25. Why do you ask?

Rickko, I get what you're saying and I agree. That's one of the reasons I'm still somewhat leaning towards signing up for at least a month.

Thanks for the advice guys. Still considering what I'm gonna do.
    Since this is newbie town I will keep this simple.

Post the website.

Your 25… sigh… you got nothing to be afraid of from this guy, so don’t act like it is something that needs to be kept secret. If he has a website then he has already put the information out there for people to see, so let us see it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last