Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Style
    BJJ newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm so excited to get beat up! Better sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    BJJ is like aikido on the ground. If aikido was technically sound and actually worked.
    So... it's like aikijujutsu on the ground? IMHO, 'aiki' is pretty useless without some 'ju's thrown in there. Or at least atemi. Why bother with shihonage when shichiribiki is right there?

I'm not so good with words, so I'll put it in pictures.

Style
    Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I said BJJ is technically sound and actually works. Just go and see. Tap early and often. Or take Judo if you want to practice your ukemi.

Style
    BJJ newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I said BJJ is technically sound and actually works. Just go and see. Tap early and often. Or take Judo if you want to practice your ukemi.
    Ok. I'm not too proud to tap. I'll try to put into practice the pull guard/ukemi advice on this thread.

Edit: Squats & milk indeed. Hitting 12 cups a week easy, plus yogurt and soy milk.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumPIrate View Post
    12 cups a week easy, plus yogurt and soy milk.
    Guess again http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-sq...n-gain-weight/

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I said BJJ is technically sound and actually works.
    Aikido is technically sound (cue flames). It's the training method that is stabbing it in the arse.

Take striking, resistant training, and basic fitness out of BJJ, and that'll suck too. It won't suddenly mean the mechanics don't work. It'll just demonstrate they don't work without the above elements.

To the OP... do both! And ideally a third thing with some good striking too. And time allowing, something with weapons.

Most importantly though, do something you enjoy. Life is short.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumPIrate View Post
    Then put some weight behind it and make it true!

If you want it to work, make it work. If you want more "ju's in there", and more atemi... train both. If you want more resistant training, make it happen.

It's martial decline isn't going to improve if everyone jumps ship and leaves it to the hippies.

Go to the BJJ, and bring the methodology and attitude back to the Aikido.

Unless of course you don't really want to believe at all.
    Last edited by Ignorami; 5/23/2011 4:28pm at . Reason: frustration dun made me type funny

"To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to derail too much, but there's very little difference between the training method and the techniques in this case. All the little details that make the techniques work get lost without pressure testing. It's why aikido (d)evolved from relatively short, tight techniques with atemi to swoopy wide circles and handwaving.

The techniques are unsound. Oh sure, you can find the historical remnants of sound techniques in there and some may work. But I could talk for ages about how aikido's shiho nage is just ... wretched. Or how doing kotegaeshi as a pain technique just won't and can't work. Ikkyo pins is mostly nonsense. My ears bleed at the idiot conversations about how and when people are "open," and thus what is uke's "correct" response. And, dear God, save us from the modern flip-floppy ukemi.

You could practice BJJ or Judo a pure kata but, over time, it would likely devolve in a similar way if people weren't practicing it with martial intent.

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could practice BJJ or Judo a pure kata but, over time, it would likely devolve in a similar way if people weren't practicing it with martial intent.
    I agree with this. I just don't feel it is too late for Aikido. Perhaps I'm wrong, and it's already fucked. I certainly think it often enough when surfing youtube. And increasingly when travelling around.

The examples you give of kotegaeshi as a pain technique, and ikkyo pins are good ones.

Kotegaeshi as a balance breaking technique, however, supported by solid striking is fine.

I apologise for the derail, but I feel very strongly that if people like the OP can cross-train, and bring this martial intent back, instead of jumping ship altogether, Aikido could be saved. And it is dear to me, and I've been drinking ;-)

Style
    BJJ newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Sweet Jesus! A gallon a day? I'd like to make weight. Just without passing a kidney stone.

Edit: The "Is GOMAD safe?" bullet points didn't convince me at first. Then Google and the New England Journal of Medicine backed it up. I retract my above statement,

And yes, let's hope that it's not too late for Aikido. I'll put in work to that end.
    Last edited by RumPIrate; 5/23/2011 5:47pm at .

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How could you pass a kidney stone when you're drinking so much liquid?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last