Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 2:46pm

Style: BJJ & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newb Shin Conditioning

I haven't done any MT or otherwise used my shins as an impact weapon before, and I'm mostly training BJJ but I want to condition my shins for eventual MMA.

I was kicking the heavy MT bag at full force on Friday and I think I turned my leg over too far and impacted with my shin muscle on my left leg. It hurt right away but I kept going and finished my 20 on each leg that I had decided to do. Pretty soon after that I noticed I had some wicked swelling on the left shin area. I showed it to my MMA coach and he said I shouldn't be kicking the heavy bag yet, that I should either wear shin pads when I kick the heavy bag or kick a different bag that we have which appears similar to a wavemaster type thing.

Last night the bruises got their color and HOLY CRAP I have a giant rectangle of bruise on my left leg with my shin bone in the center. I immediately regretted not icing the damn thing when I got home on Friday.

It seems like my coach is right to a degree, obviously my body isn't ready to kick the heavy bag at full force. Will my shins still be getting conditioned if I'm doing as he suggested? It seems counter-intuitive that my shins would be getting strengthened and desensitized if I'm kicking a bad with pads on. Also, how many more days should I be icing the bruises before I switch to a heating pad?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything's better with pictures! (Taken today)

Front view
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That your legs are that messed up after just 20 kicks means you should take it slowly, your coach knows you better than anyone here does so stick with his advice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 5:06pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kick higher where the padding isn't so hard. You're going to need some ointment for that. You showing up for next weeks clinic?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 5:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no idea what you mean about ointment. Can you please be very specific as I am a complete newb?

Also, this is the first I'm hearing about a clinic. I must have missed the memo. Please to inform me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 5:38pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're having a throwdown clinic next weekend at my place in Santa Barbara. http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105979

I was going to see if I could get some ointment for you.

You'll also need a blood mover.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 6:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that's really nice of you. I probably won't be able to make it up there. Aside from needing to study for finals, the main issue is transportation & money. I only have a bicycle now and no job.

I know a place I can get dit da jow, I think they have Tiger Balm brand. Are there any brands you would recommend against?

Blood mover...I'll ask old man Google. Would this also be a topical?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 7:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, they are topical.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 10:37pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the problem with most hanging bags is that they are stuffed with shredded cloth as well as several sand bags. These sandbags are usually positioned at the bottom but overtime spread out towards the sides creating spots that are as hard as a rock. Hanging the bag upside down will NOT fix the problem. I ended up completely emptying my old everlast heavy bag and removing the sandbags and re stuffed the cloth. However this made the bag very light and it moved a lot. My new Thai bag has no hard spots...yet. My guess is that a hard spot is what caused your injury, when you are fully healed and go back to the bag check for these hard spots before you begin kicking. In my opinion these hard spots could damage the shins of even a conditioned fighter if they are kicking full force. Take plenty of time to let your shins recover and mix up your training with kicking some thai pads to. You can also have someone hit your shins with thai pads to condition them.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 9:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sambo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My old boxing coach said that when you get a boxing bag and its sand, stick bark in with the sand, the bark will help break the sand up so it doesnt get packed together, worked for me but please not the bark shouldnt be rock solid wood it should be bark no bigger than 2-3cm big. Unfortunately I had to leave my bag in NZ and cant afford one in malaysia yet but will try and do the same when i get one here. Hope this works for you and sorry this isnt really related to the topic
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast