Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 2:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack&Slash View Post
    During my seventh or eighth practice, the head instructor stated that only about seventy-five percent of the sword blade is even sharp. I never went back after that.
    Hmm, this actually fits with Western sword philosophy. Sharpening the blade tends to weaken it (ie. an incredibly sharp blade will be damaged if you hit a dull blade edge on), so you leave parrying surfaces relatively unsharpened. I'm not sure if this is true for nihonto but it would make a fair amount of sense.

EDIT: Yeah, if he's Buj he probably heard it about western swords and just assumed it was true for the japanese stuff.
    Last edited by November; 7/18/2011 2:46pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 6:14am

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    Hmm, this actually fits with Western sword philosophy. Sharpening the blade tends to weaken it (ie. an incredibly sharp blade will be damaged if you hit a dull blade edge on), so you leave parrying surfaces relatively unsharpened. I'm not sure if this is true for nihonto but it would make a fair amount of sense.

EDIT: Yeah, if he's Buj he probably heard it about western swords and just assumed it was true for the japanese stuff.
    It's absolute bs when talking about nihonto, to put it bluntly. Most styles teach you to parry with the flat of the blade. You're correct about the blade being chipped, but because of the laminated construction of nihonto, a chip extending more than a few mm on the cutting edge into the core of the blade is scrap metal.
    Last edited by stealth_monkey; 7/19/2011 6:22am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/19/2011 7:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The justifications the ninjas pull out are fascinating, from a purely psychological point of view.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 12:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenjutsu, karate, bojutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's absolute bs when talking about nihonto, to put it bluntly. Most styles teach you to parry with the flat of the blade. You're correct about the blade being chipped, but because of the laminated construction of nihonto, a chip extending more than a few mm on the cutting edge into the core of the blade is scrap metal.
    Yeah, this is how we're taught to parry. Even so, people aren't generally out fighting with swords that frequently. I can't afford mats for tameshigiri that often, so as long as I maintain the edge regularly, my sword will still be effective on ninjas for quite some time.

Another note, my Buj instructor emphasized sword defense techniques that did not involve drawing a sword, except as a last resort. Instead there was all this fancy stepping around and rolling to avoid the blade. If any of you haven't seen the Human Weapon episode about the Buj, watch the ukemi practice (about 10 minutes in), where master ninjers instruct the hosts to duck under a sword, albeit out of reach, by rolling along with the sword's path. At the end of the roll, the evaders were still at sword point, only now on their knees. Ninjer-kabobs!

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 8:23am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another note, my Buj instructor emphasized sword defense techniques that did not involve drawing a sword, except as a last resort. Instead there was all this fancy stepping around and rolling to avoid the blade. If any of you haven't seen the Human Weapon episode about the Buj, watch the ukemi practice (about 10 minutes in), where master ninjers instruct the hosts to duck under a sword, albeit out of reach, by rolling along with the sword's path. At the end of the roll, the evaders were still at sword point, only now on their knees. Ninjer-kabobs!
    Same thing happened with Chris Crudelli in Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves, except that Hatsumi was wielding a big o-katana. Pretty easy for him to just sweep that long razor blade and cover huge swaths of territory, while Crudelli is trying to roll around and evade.

Ain't gonna work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 8:49am

Style: kendo, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why exactly would you be encouraged to only draw your sword as a last resort? This isn't like some videogame where if you take out your weapon you'll lose magic points or something. Why not combine evasive movements with your sword to block in case things go wrong?

Actually, you know what? The bigger question should be "Why am I trying to make sense of ninjers?"

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh*
    Taihenjutsu was something I was very good at. I took pride in it because I was a bigger guy and could roll, jump, and flip better than most the little guys. (Oh and all you younguns who think Parkour/Free running is something new I was doing the same thing as a kid) The idea was that you were supposed to roll out of range of the swordsman and be able to counter attack with shuriken or your own sword. One of the warm up practice exercises was sensei would have a bokken and we would evade his cuts. It was rolling out the way, jump then roll, dive roll, etc. I did have a moment when I realized that didn't work out as planned when I joined a local SCA group. (a ninjer larping go figure) Trying to roll and evade a cut just meant the attack was going to follow you and hit you again.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 10:12am

Style: kendo, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's called Taihenjutsu? Taihen just means "difficult" in Japanese, I believe. So, "difficult skill"?

I guess it's descriptive because it's difficult/impossible to evade sword attacks consistently, but...it's such a stupid name.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twobits View Post
    Why exactly would you be encouraged to only draw your sword as a last resort?
    It seems to me that if your opponent is swinging a goddamn sword at you, its last resort time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 11:07am

Style: yellow bamboo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shotfighter,listen dude. When I was a white belt in Aikido. Let me repeat. A WHITE BELT IN AIKIDO,I could use that technique to own these 4 Bujindorks I had met. Those assclowns actually tried picking MY technique apart after I owned them with it. THEN made lame excuses for why they sucked.

All the major ninjers out there are frauds. Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, Greg Park, AND Hatsumi. They've all been proven BS time and time again. Whether its their history or technique.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast