Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 8:41pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    All those grappling styles are the same with different rules.
    That is so insanely wrong I don't even know where to begin. Are there some similarities between those styles? Of course. But the idea that those are "all the same" shows a profound ignorance of grappling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 8:55pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    That is so insanely wrong I don't even know where to begin. Are there some similarities between those styles? Of course. But the idea that those are "all the same" shows a profound ignorance of grappling.
    Sigh.

I don't know what to say. Maybe I'm not communicating correctly. They are all grappling styles. No point in bringing them up. They all fall under the same category, grappling. And spare me the "Grappling ignorance". I KNOW they are not the same LITERALLY.

hes bringing up issues with what Soke is teaching. According to him its not effective, or practical - He should sign up to Bullshido.

Kenjutsu is a predominately sword style. Bujinkan is a mix. It looks wrong to Mr kenjutsu in the OP's thread. I say, "Hey to you it looks wrong but the Booj guys do things differently, they can set up a roll to a something else, something you guys don't really know about." He feels Bujinkan is useless? Alot of people do. Hes bringing up issues with what Soke is teaching. According to him its not effective, or practical - He should sign up to Bullshido.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 9:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh.

I don't know what to say. Maybe I'm not communicating correctly. They are all sword styles. No point in bringing them up. They all fall under the same category, weapon arts. And spare me the "sword ignorance". I KNOW they are not the same LITERALLY.
    Fixed.

hes bringing up issues with what Soke is teaching. According to him its not effective, or practical - He should sign up to Bullshido.
    Are you scared of him? Why the hell are you making this argument over here for? You are addressing his points like you are scared to be banned. He is on another board who cares? If it is that important say it over there.

Judo is a predominately Throwing style. MMA is a mix. It looks wrong to Mr Judoka in the OP's thread. I say, "Hey to you it looks wrong but MMA guys do things differently, they can set up a roll to a something else, something you guys don't really know about." He feels MMA is useless? Alot of people do. Hes bringing up issues with what a coach is teaching. According to him its not effective, or practical - He should sign up to MAp.
    Fixed.

Oh and because he can "set up a roll to do something else" doesn't mean whatever he did before can be unsound.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/22/2011 9:11pm at .

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 2:11am

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who has done Bujinkan for 26 years, now mostly training in Muay Thai and Judo, will go back to BJJ as well when I can. If you read the thread it was the timing that was wrong. He drew BEFORE uke cut. If Uke were to see him do that, no Kenshi would ever cut. that is the point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 4:31am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get what Shotfighter is trying to say although he might have typed himself into a semantic corner. My problem with Hatsumi is that anytime he makes what is obviously an error he falls back on the "I was meant to so that" argument. I've seen him do this first hand and it's pretty annoying. For example, practicing with bokken and he drops it on a draw because of sweaty hands. Quick thinking and uber compliance leads him to continue on with an open hand technique claiming that dropping the bokken was a distraction (rather than laughing it off and starting again). Cue the entire class dropping their bokkens trying to copying his covered up mistake and resulting bit of 'free-style' as a legitimate technique. So if clicking your blade inside it's scabbard is being mentioned by a kenjutsuka as an error Hatsumi will probably come up with something like "it's a little distraction to make your opponent think you are an unskilled swordsman thereby giving you a secret advantage". The other side of this is that there are quite a few Buj techniques that do involve some kind of feint or deception. The problem is that it has now become the norm that sloppiness and simple errors get brushed under the carpet with the "I meant to do that" approach and practitioners lap it up. So nobody knows anymore what is for real and what isn't (the 'ninjaness' of that is quite lol-worthy I think) and it's all the more problematic now that he is a very old man who has morphed the style from hard hitting and fast moving to a more esoteric slow style to suit his waning physical attributes. But that's a whole other argument.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 4:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbushi View Post
    As someone who has done Bujinkan for 26 years, now mostly training in Muay Thai and Judo, will go back to BJJ as well when I can. If you read the thread it was the timing that was wrong. He drew BEFORE uke cut. If Uke were to see him do that, no Kenshi would ever cut. that is the point.
    One word... "sakki" :-)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They punch wrong according to boxers, they kick wrong according to TKD dudes, their stance is crap according to MMA guys, their grappling is crap according to BJJ dudes.
    If TKD dudes are saying their kicking is wrong, boxers are saying their punching is wrong, MMA fighters are saying their stance is wrong, and BJJ dudes are saying their grappling is wrong, I think there's a strong possibility that a lot of what they're doing is wrong.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 11:49am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    I get what Shotfighter is trying to say although he might have typed himself into a semantic corner.
    No, it isn't semantics at all. In all Sword arts there are fundamental rules to cutting, stabbing, slicing, and drawing based on the weapon you are using. These do not disappear because you know 45 different styles and your art is more of a hybrid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 12:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I meant to say was "I get the reasoning behind the argument Shotfighter is trying to make". However, I agree 100% that a lot of the techniques in the Buj are based on fantasy role play and simply don't work in real fighting.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2011 12:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    What I meant to say was "I get the reasoning behind the argument Shotfighter is trying to make".
    So, do all of us posting I don't agree with his reasoning.

However, I agree 100% that a lot of the techniques in the Buj are based on fantasy role play and simply don't work in real fighting.
    I see you are arguing from the MAP thread as well. No one here, in this thread, is discussing larp.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast