Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

School me on Bujinkan

Since I'm new here and I haven't really been around martial arts to the degree that a lot of you have, I have a question about Bujinkan. I see that it gets a lot of heat in various threads and most of the time it's people laughing at it. I know enough about it to know that it has some kind of association with ninjutsu but that's about where my knowledge ends. I also recognize a certain comic potential in that association.

See. Years back I'm shooting the **** with some of the guys in the kung fu class I was taking. I was talking about this ninja school that I'd seen a listing for in the yellow pages and we all had a laugh over this. All of a sudden, our Sifu walks into the room and gets real serious and addresses us: "Don't ever hang around with ninja," he says, "they're all bad people." And with that, he hands the class over to his disciple and class resumes, leaving us all wondering what that was about. I never found out. Never asked. Now here it is years later and it seems that school is still open. It's along a major route in New Hampshire with a BIG sign out front that says NINJA and nothing else. Their website uses combinations of the words 'ninja' and 'magic' an awful lot.

http://shinobi-martial-arts.com/

So what's the story with these guys?

Style
    xingyi

Style
    GJJ,Judo (former Systema)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in both the genbukan and the booj for a while. The genbukan at least do some serious conditioning, and occasional resistant training (though not all that much). I suppose the classes themselves are physically strenuous and if you want to learn some old-style kenjutsu it might be of interest to you. The booj is the single biggest waste of money ever. I knew it was pretty widely regarded as horseshit before I started and was in there mroe for curiousity than anything else, but oh my god, it was so worthless. Seriously, I wouldn't trust any single one of the guys there to be able to protect themselves in a fight. they had some sorta impressive tricks that seemed pretty cool until you realised their applicability in anything approaching a real fight was virtually nil. Avoid.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off Dong you may have the best name on this site. Secondly the worlds must have been in alignment when I read your post. When I saw your location and what you were describing I new it had to be shinobi. I literally was just looking into that Shinobi place yesterday(not planning on joining) after my friend was telling me about it. Sure it probably rubs you the right way claiming it's deadly/practical and what not, but it doesn't take long to realize it's utter bullshido.

Just dig a little deeper and watch the demos. It seems to be total compliance MA training.

I will give them credit on a website that sucks you in to read their bs.

But to be fair I'm sure people can get many benefits from their training.

Where do you train MT?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
    our Sifu walks into the room and gets real serious and addresses us: "Don't ever hang around with ninja," he says, "they're all bad people." And with that, he hands the class over to his disciple and class resumes, leaving us all wondering what that was about.
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Maybe your sifu is very smart and by "they're all bad people" he wasn't making a moral judgement, he was just pointing out that ninjutsu is terrible.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    First off Dong you may have the best name on this site.
    Ha! Thanks, man.

Where do you train MT?
    I train in Portsmouth with Guro Guy Chase. http://www.guychase.tv - we have a good time over there and train hard.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's also funny you that you train there. I just heard about that place a couple weeks ago. If I lived closer I'd be there. He seems to be a legit JKD practitioner

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    That's also funny you that you train there. I just heard about that place a couple weeks ago. If I lived closer I'd be there. He seems to be a legit JKD practitioner
    Yep. He was a live-in student of Guro Inosanto. Learned to shoot with Karl Gotch. BJJ from Professor Aldo Batista. Savate from Salem Assli and Fred Belleton. There's a pretty lengthy bio on that site. Guro Chase is the real deal. Best instructor I've ever met.

Where are you at?

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Donger speaks the truth. If anyone is curious they should check out the pictures and videos on the site, or come by and see all the certificates on the wall of the Academy, and talk to Guro Guy about his background.

That's where I take Muay Thai, and he's teaching us some Savate as well.

Note that I don't say that _I_ do savate, only that I'm trying to learn it. Its very technical stuff.