Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: face hits

Style
    kung jung mu sul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

face hits

hello, im fairly young imo and inexperienced when it comes to fighting. i would like to ask if theres a nice way to get over the fear of being hit in the face. earlier this week i nearly broke my ankle and wrist due to this pathetic fear and although i know its pretty stupid just reaction to avoid getting hit in the head at all costs.

figured this belonged here but correct me if im wrong please

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strangely, the answer is included in the question.

The more times you get hit in the face, the less and less you start to care about it.
    Sparring often, with decent protective gear commensurate with your level of experience will work these fears out of you very quickly.

Essentially, you'll learn through experience that getting punched in the face:

1. Really doesn't hurt very much
    2. Hurts even less with gloves on
    3. Is actually kind of fun after a while

Style
    BJJ & MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How in the bleeeeep did you nearly break your ankle AND wrist in the process of avoiding being punched in the face?

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recall someone in the forum once suggested some simple drills to get over the fear of getting punched in the face. It generally involved getting someone to put on gloves and punch you in the face very lightly (no injury, no exacerbating your fears by hurting you) so that you can

1. stand still and get used to tucking your chin, taking punches on your forehead, and generally learn to take it rather than flinch and panic
    2. stand back-to-wall and practice bobbing and weaving without being allowed to move away, block, parry, or counter

Something like that. I know close to ****-all about striking, but they sound like good ideas to me.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    How in the bleeeeep did you nearly break your ankle AND wrist in the process of avoiding being punched in the face?
    I imagine it involves trying to duck or dodge a punch, twisting his ankle when he lost his balance, and not knowing how to breakfall, has put out his open hand to stop his fall.

Sounds like a pretty common noobie error to me.

Style
    kung jung mu sul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah it was more i fail blocked to stop a punch while ducking and had my wrist hit at a shitty angle then fucked up my ankle in a noobie retreat. know how to breakfall though :S

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find very useful this thread, I've been punched in the face very few times, and I haven't gotten used to it yet, and first time it was a ****! I got hit and my mind only thought "I have just been hit in the face...ouch" and that was enough time to get another hit laid on my body xD

A friend of mine who trains MT got used to it and doesn't have any kind of fear or something on getting punched in there, the fact of having some train fight at the end of each class is huge for him!

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (normally this is where I would rant about you being a *****)
    I actually have a video on this. There are very simple drills to help you. For the record if you become spazzy with your fear you could hurt your partners. I had this done to me once and I just outright beat the crap out of the guy until he was too tired to flinch like a retard.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bad acoustics I shot this a few years ago.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    Style
    SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    (normally this is where I would rant about you being a *****)
    I actually have a video on this. There are very simple drills to help you. For the record if you become spazzy with your fear you could hurt your partners. I had this done to me once and I just outright beat the crap out of the guy until he was too tired to flinch like a retard.
    Why is your profile showing up as guest?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last