Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 6:00am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate Weapon training.....for beginners

Just had a conversation with a friend who took up Karate a few months back and he told me that he just bought a Bo Staff. Apparently he is being taught Nunchuka and Bo Staff moves along with the usual Karate stuff.

What do we think of beginners being taught weapon use?
    Personally I would rather concentrate all my efforts on learning to kick and punch rather than waste my time twirling a staff, but I may be in the minority.
    Any thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 6:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends how it is taught and a persons training goals, the unarmed training may be the typical Karate anyway, so flopping around with punches or a Bo staff is all the same thing anyway as none of it is realistic.

If it is Dog Brothers type full on shizzle, then that would be cool, but I doubt it.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 6:49am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Okinawan and Japanese styles of karate that I'm familiar with teach bo to beginner students. Bo and nunchaku were the two that I've been shown when I first started training in Goju ryu.

I don't see a problem with learning weaponry at beginner level, but I'm more interested in hojo undo, bunkai, and sparring; You can never go wrong with these 3.

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 2:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one should pick a weapon and train with it from the get-go. Just my opinion. I can't do weapons for **** and wish I could, especially that Filipino stuff.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a bo, or a staff, not a bo staff. The bo basics seem to reinforce karate basics, so I don't really see a problem with it, unless they're training specifically for unarmed competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ty5 View Post
    If it is Dog Brothers type full on shizzle, then that would be cool, but I doubt it.
    It is almost certainly not, and karate/kobudo guys have done poorly at that kind of thing.

Kobudo tends to have long, wide, low karate stances, which aren't so good compared to mobile FMA footwork for weapon fighting, and holding the staff towards the center and hitting with both ends is not recommended for Dog Brothers staff work (they call it "Little Johnning).

On the other hand, I heard at the last tribal gathering, there was a kung fu guy with a three sectional staff that did very well, so maybe there's kobudo/karate guys that can fight with weapons.

Here's a tonfa vs staff match I video'd at my last tournament:

It looked to me like they weren't very used to actually sparring with those weapons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 3:51pm

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a lot of karate styles, the weapon art is a later addition, and as such doesn't fit that well in the karate system. (though some (very? i forgot) few karate styles do have some weapon stuff). I mean to say that the way of moving around, the stances, the way blocks are made, do are often not compatible between the original karate style and the kobudo bits and pieces picked up along. Okinawan Goju is for example without formal weapon instruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 5:37pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We start noobs off with pure empty hand for about the first six months, and then start them off with the bo (basics, then kata, then partner drills). For those first few months they are usually so busy trying to get basic footwork and technique down that bo work would really just be a marketing ploy and not really help their training.

About 8 months or so after that we introduce the sai, and then a year to a year and a half later the kama. Nunchaku doesn't come in until much later, and to tell you the truth it's my least favorite weapon of all. Looks cool to twirl 'numchucks" but any of the other weapons are much more useful.

And for the record, although we are not Dog Bros level, we do stress application, and using weapons to augment empty hand technique - very little "twirling". Even our karate stances are more upright and lots of tai sabaki footwork so they really do complement each other well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 5:39pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And yes, it's a bo (or rokushakubo if you want to get really technical). Bo staff is right up there with numchucks and sai swords

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    5/18/2011 12:26am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with weapons right away, especially in JMA. Most of the empty-hand stuff (karatedo, jujutsu) started as augments to weapon-based training, not the other way around.

Caveat: so long as the instructor isn't a total loss that says "numchuks" or "tawn-fa" or whatever.
    --
    L.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/18/2011 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by senseipookie View Post
    And for the record, although we are not Dog Bros level, we do stress application, and using weapons to augment empty hand technique - very little "twirling". Even our karate stances are more upright and lots of tai sabaki footwork so they really do complement each other well.
    How do you spar with weapons?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast