Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Muay Thai, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New blood from Asia

Hey guys, i'm Alex from the Philippines.

I just turned 18 last March, and i'm one of the very few girls getting into Muay Thai here in my area. I was able to get a teacher by talking a boxing instructor into showing me his ways back when he was in the URCC. He didn't want to at first, since most of his students backed out and it wasn't officially a package included in the gym (It only promoted boxing and kickboxing).

His face lightened up when i told him i wanted to learn how to destroy people. :D Of course, i only meant bad guys. Also, i'm stoked to get into sparring and see just how far i can push myself. I'll be starting this week and i am SO ready to get beaten up bloody. How else will i learn how to return the favor?

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, and welcome to bullshido. Once people in different time zones start waking up, there will be the normal shark frenzy of activity that comes to any new female poster.

Is there a lot of social stigma in PI regarding females and combat sports/martial arts? Is there a lot of muay thai gyms around? What made you want to study muay thai instead of one of the indigenous martial arts(I only ask because I used to train sikaran)?

If things go well, you should consider keeping a journal or blog about your beginning experiences, sometimes if you really fall in love with something, its a pretty cool feeling to look back at where you began in relation to where you might end up 2-3 years down the road.

Style
    Muay Thai, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks very much for the welcome!
    LOL. Well, idk if i'm the type of chick people would frenzy over. :P What, with me havinga girlfriend and all. This is if i am interpreting your statement correctly. :D

Not really, it's just that not many girls are into it. I also have to add that my uncles still treat me like a little girl, and it totally pisses me off. Plus one of em is a Jesus freak, so yeah. Lmao.

Muay Thai is also still starting out in terms of popularity around here. Most chicks opt for Tae Kwon Do. Most dudes opt for Judo. I opted for Muay Thai cause it's brawling to the core. :D People tell me that it's one the most brutal and if i survive the most brutal, then i can survive anything. I'm not quite sure if that's the truth, but UFC fights still attract my attention anyway. Also, i like it cause it's unorthodox. It isn't "safe". BJJ might also be another path i'll take once i've learned alot from Muay Thai.

I think i will, thanks! :D That's great advice. I really hope things kick off, since i've always wanted to be a fighter. Also, the fact that this training is "secret" just gives me the willies. It'll be in an open gym though, so no "worries".

Bring on the bruises and broken bones!
    Last edited by Rocher; 5/17/2011 8:08am at .

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL. Well, idk if i'm the type of chick people would frenzy over. :P What, with me havinga girlfriend and all. This is if i am interpreting your statement correctly.
    You are exactly the kind of girl that most males like. Asian, into martial arts, and unattainable.

Getting off topic from martial arts, how are gay rights in PI?

Style
    Muay Thai, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ho, really? :P I guess the dumb blonde isn't as popular anymore.

Us toms got it easy. Since exclusive schools (all girls, all boys) pretty much set your social status up above the rest around here (co ed HIGH schools) get less attention and are lame here in the PH), it isn't really out of the norm. Gay guys still somewhat get raised eyebrows, but toms aren't THAT criticized. Could do better, though. Gay marriage still isn't approved.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocher View Post
    Ho, really? :P I guess the dumb blonde isn't as popular anymore.

Us toms got it easy. Since exclusive schools (all girls, all boys) pretty much set your social status up above the rest around here (co ed HIGH schools) get less attention and are lame here in the PH), it isn't really out of the norm. Gay guys still somewhat get raised eyebrows, but toms aren't THAT criticized. Could do better, though. Gay marriage still isn't approved.
    I live in one of the few states here in the US that allows same sex marriages to be performed.

User Torakaka is a female muay thai fighter and coach that is not only a badass but also posts useful threads such as this: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45948

Is your ultimate goal to compete in muay thai?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Rocher

Welcome to Bullshido. How long have you been practicing the Muay Thai? Planning on competing or just practicing?
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Style
    Muay Thai, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    I live in one of the few states here in the US that allows same sex marriages to be performed.

User Torakaka is a female muay thai fighter and coach that is not only a badass but also posts useful threads such as this: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45948

Is your ultimate goal to compete in muay thai?
    Which state would that be? :O I'm actually thinking of moving there to the States just cause of that.

THank you for the link. I'm loading up the videos right now. :D I'd really like to compete in Muay Thai, although i don't think there's a girl's division around here. You know what i've been thinking? I'd strap on a chest guard and pretend to be a guy. LOL. That would be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by danniboi07 View Post
    Hi Rocher

Welcome to Bullshido. How long have you been practicing the Muay Thai? Planning on competing or just practicing?
    Like i said, i'd really wanna compete, but there aren't really any girls into the Muay Thai thing around here. I don't know that many guys who are taking it up either. Those i DO know are just star struck from the UFC and they just want bods like the fighters there which is BS.

I'm REALLY considering strapping on a chest guard and entering a tourny as a boy. That's gonna be when i'm experienced enough and i'm confident i'll survive.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Train hard, but pay attention to your body when it's telling you that you need to rest. At 42, I have quite a bit of mileage on my body that I probably could have avoided if I had stopped training long enough to heal up from injuries.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last