LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/19/2011 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Backwards, forward, and low punch throws the spear. The you pull the enemy to you and uppercut him.

LOFL

That made me laugh out loud. ALOT.
    Now I have a table with coffee spilled all over it and a big snotter hanging half out my nose.
    **** you.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    5/19/2011 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This is my next avatar, for when the bouncing bunny starts getting to me....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2011 11:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would rather crouch, crouch forward, walk a little bit and punch.

But then I would do it ALL THE TIME.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2011 3:04am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    I don't see why people who don't want to spar are supposed to be stigmatized in your classes.

I made up excuses for not doing homework. If I don't want to spar, I'm not going to spar. I don't owe you an 'excuse' for something I'm not obligated to do.
    To me, it's not so much about stigmatizing. I just feel that, in a way, if you don't spar, you don't get your money's worth really and that there's some stuff about (in my specific case) thaiboxing that you're not going to learn without sparring, so I try to encourage people to at least try it out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2011 6:59am

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stigmatized,really ?...Do you guys train Tai Chi or something ?
    For fucks sake,if you don't want to spar,DON'T GO TO SPARRING CLASSES...Simple.
    Sure,you won't ever get full benefit out of training a combat art without the contact,but injuries happen...life happens,& granted, no-one that trains a full contact art feels that they are truly playing the game unless they're ass is on the line,but whats the alternative ?
    MMA,etc at 40 % or ninjer faggotry at 110 % ?

Yep,get as pissed off as you want,but you know I'm right !

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2011 7:02am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    I don't see why people who don't want to spar are supposed to be stigmatized in your classes.

I made up excuses for not doing homework. If I don't want to spar, I'm not going to spar. I don't owe you an 'excuse' for something I'm not obligated to do.
    true i you don't want to you do not have to but the point do not make up crazy excuses
    not to spar.
    i know most people do it to save their face (or at least they think so)
    But i think we all can agree that it is way more respectable to say:
    No its not why i'm here i just want to train not fight
    instead of well my ankle hurts,my back hurts and so on people will notice at some point
    And will think badly of the guy.

i think most people who get into martial arts want to be and be seen as a tough guy
    and the one thing a tough guy doesn't do is not sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2011 7:20am

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry,but I'm having a really hard time with this whole concept of people being denigrated for putting a ceiling on the level of contact they are happy with.
    Doesn't happen where I train,& I train in a school full of fighters,not armchair experts or keyboard warriors,but the real deal.
    Nobody passes judgement on one of their classmates 'cause they're not psycho enough to jump into the shark tank when the MMA guys are trying to kill each other,& nor should they.
    The MA world is made up of all sorts of weirdos,& trust me,being dumb enough to throw down with whoever is in front of you when the bell goes is probably not the smart way to go,but it's my way.
    Unfortunately I have to live with 20 years worth of compounded injuries trying to prove I'm a tough guy even when I know I'm gonna get tooled.I still train like that,&,while I'm a firm advocate of Aliveness,etc,I sure don't speak for others.
    I believe that we are getting too caught up in the tough guy bullshit & forgetting that at heart,we are still Martial Artists ( Not Ninjers...I never said Ninjers!!!).
    After all,what do the last two letters of MMA stand for ?

Posted On:
    5/20/2011 9:40am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Colin, your response earlier is testament to what is fucked up in MA nowadays. People should get into martial arts purely to hurt other individuals and get hurt themselves. There should be no discipline and no mercy. Mercy is for the weak. If you cannot handle a beatdown you are not fit to beat someone down. Pretty simple philosophy I learnt from my years of gang initiation rituals and dealing with mobile phone companies.

I've advised several newcomers on what I see as "proper martial arts etiquette". I have recently changed my advice from playing Eye of the Tiger full volume on a boombox to listening to your ipod full bore as you walk in to the gym. This change was purely due to the confidence effect blasting your own tunes gives you, it is well documented in my earlier study "The Confidence Effect Blasting Your Own Tunes Gives You" which you can read in any peer reviewed science book that you probably haven't heard of but it totally gives a description of how it completely makes you better at anything you attempt.

The New Guy Process I am trying to establish:
    1. Ask loudly if anyone is pro or ammy- if no one steps up, walk out and find another gym and it is best to leave with your middle finger raised and a loud "**** y'all pussies". If someone does step up, raise your middle finger and say loudly, "**** you, *****". Earphones must be at full volume for maximum effect.
    2. Point at ring/ cage indicating to pro or ammy they are to either school or be schooled. Proclaim this loudly, even better if it is disproportionately loud due to earphones.
    3. Having wrapped your hands already (at home in front of the mirror while listening to tunes), open tub of glue and empty a jar of glass on the gym floor, crush it with your jack boots. You know what comes next: that's right, smash the glass of gym trophy case with jar. Note: If there is no trophy case, the front window or the gym owners office window will suffice.
    4. Offer glue and glass to pro or ammy's hand wraps, while staring them down. Do not remove earphones even if song finishes.
    5. You know that dance those Muay Thai guys do before a fight? Do your own. Slam dancing/ hardcore dancing/ moshing/ macarena are the best.
    6. Scream, "TO THE DEATH" and charge.

If they survive, they are in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2011 9:49am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never done any standup arts, so maybe its different when people ask you not to target certain areas. In grappling its just common decency everywhere I've trained though. If I've got a hyperextended right elbow that's been throbbing for 3 weeks, I'm going to let my partner know. I don't make any excuses, I just tell him "If you get a hold of my right arm, I'm tapping early." Especially if it's the same damn guy who injured me in the first place by cranking a kimura like he wanted to take my arm home with him.

Maybe it's because I'm known where I train for being hard to submit, but that always seems to get people's attention.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2011 10:10pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "No thanks, my problem is that I'm a pacifist and don't want to hurt anything or anyone." The worst part was the way they said it, as if everyone else in the martial arts was a ragging barbarian and this guy just couldn't spar because he just cares too much.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast