Sponsored Links Spacer Image

On hiatus

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 4:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    I am very grateful that as a noobspaz, I have not badly injured anyone yet. I have BEEN injured, but not injured others. Made someone cry once though, and secretly felt really good about it.
    Fixed?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've used the following:

1. let's go half speed this round, i want to work on a new technique
    2. light head shots only, i'm near blind and can't see left hooks (100% true)
    3. go easy on me. i just had a hysterectomy (one roid monkey actually believed me, and felt really bad when he kicked my leg out from under me)
    4. my wife is making hamburger helper tonight and i can't wait a minute longer (i actually meant it when i said it)
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 4:50pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Fixed?
    Naw, he's just a 15 year old kid and really painfully shy. Always looks sad and tries to endure things. I didn't feel good about it at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 4:53pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recently had someone show up, I lent him a pair of shorts for training, I know him(I always carry spare ones) he sees me and mate go in ring to spar light, wants to join in, okay but he has no groin guard or mouthguard, we say aight we go light,I do 1st round I get clipped tell him to relax, mate jumps in, and he starts go all out, I shout at them to stop, check his gloves he's got 12 oz ones on. lol Worstnot thing is, he's not a dickhead just mad.

Or the guy who shows up to sparring (Muay Thai) with mma gloves wtf! and wants to spar against 16 with 4 oz mma gloves.

My fav excuse is I can't spar as my dick hurts. Don't worry I won't kick you in the dick, yes you will I always get kicked in the dick.

Posted On:
    5/18/2011 1:04am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin pimp View Post
    My fav excuse is I can't spar as my dick hurts. Don't worry I won't kick you in the dick, yes you will I always get kicked in the dick.
    Love it!

(The excuse... not dick!)

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    5/18/2011 2:15am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If hypathetically you indirectly threaten a guys continued existence when he damn near breaks your elbow in an armbar while rolling and uses the excuse that he "does cage fighting and thats just how he trains" would said threat be a beginner excuse?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2011 2:56am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Go easy doesn't mean you aren't sparring. It means "listen you fucking noob, I fully expect you to start windmilling at me like a retarded chimpanzee, and since I came here to TRAIN and not drop you face-first on the mat, go easy." I say it quite often and believe it or not, even at my advanced age I can hurt people.
    so true. came back yesterday with a black eye due to a wildly windmilling kid, whom i had specifically asked to go easy. what i got was a guy approaching me, chin in the air and blindly flailing with his arms in a hillarious fashion. I let him go for it and i covered up, expecting him to stop after a while. he didnt and he eventually got me. I got pissed and i slipped a right to his jaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2011 2:24am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One I hear a lot that baffles me a bit is "I don't know how to spar". So how about finding out as you go along? Despite still being relatively new myself I've taken on the mission to make everyone spar who's had his first couple of sessions with us and still stands in the corner watching everyone else as they're sparring.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/19/2011 3:25am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is only vaguely relevant to the OP, but personally, I feel that if someone is avoiding hard contact because of an injury - it's a perfectly legitimate response.

Also, in point of fact - I have had FAR more experiences where people will rock up and want to spar on their very first night, way before they are ready for hard contact. (In my personal belief, hard or full contact sparring shouldn't be someone's very first experience with martial arts, I've seen far too many beginners get scared and/or less enthusiastic about training in general and just stop due to painful first night experiences. Newcomers to martial arts shouldn't be pushed into sparring too early.

Let me qualify this.
    Sparring can serve a couple of different and very useful purposes for an experienced martial artist, but for a beginner, the number of applications is far more limited in scope.

When beginners start at the gym where I train, the instructors (of which I am not one, let me be clear on this) have a straightforward philosophy of encouraging people to get involved in all of the excercises undertaken during the lesson, that they are comfortable with. Nobody is required to partake in anything they are not comfortable with, and I wholeheartedly endorse this philosophy.

Furthermore, the common level of experience required is usually met by the time that sparring is introduced.
    There are five basic classes:
    • MMA Fundamentals (this is a three times a week, one-hour course designed at introducing people to MMA)

• Judo (1 hr classes, 3 times a week)

• Machado BJJ (both gi and no-gi classes, 1.5 hrs for everyone, 2 hrs for blue belts and up, 3 times a week)

• Muay Thai (Straight up MT kickboxing 1.5 hr classes twice a week)

• MMA (puttin it all together in full contact awesomeness 1.5 hr classes, twice a week)

There are other specialty classes available, for example a one hour kids session, there is open mat, and there is the junior mma (13-17 y/o) and even a pro training competition team with exclusive classes by invitation (ie: you need to be on the MMA competition team to go to these classes)

Read more at the gym website http://www.hybridtraining.com.au to check out the info there too, if you like.

When people start at the gym, ie: as soon as they walk in the door for the first time, they will take a short interview with the gym owner (and head instructor, Will/Machado BJJ black belt) and based on their previous martial arts experience, he will advise them which of the classes they are suited to attend.

For someone with limited experience in full contact martial arts, you need to attend the fundamentals class before you can attend any other classes. During this class, the instructor on the day will assess your competency and suitability for inclusion in the other classes.

For example, my prior experience with Boxing and Judo was sufficient to begin the BJJ and MT classes in the first week I was there, but a raw beginner to martial arts will basically be stuck doing ONLY fundamentals class for at least a month, before they end up at BJJ, Judo, or Muay Thai, and it is only subsequent to basic competency in both grappling and striking that someone is recommended for inclusion in the MMA class, and this rule applies both to senior and junior students.

As the only 'sparring' you do in Fundamentals is to rolling from knees, the only class where pressure testing during sparring might be a problem is when someone first starts Muay Thai.

In our MT class, before you are ready for sparring, you need to be proficient at drilling with aliveness. Then, we do three step sparring, which is another kind of alive drilling, and newbies get tons of experience at that stuff before they are even asked to participate in the sparring.
    Last edited by Colin; 5/19/2011 3:31am at . Reason: just because I could.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2011 12:59pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Colin- that sounds reasonable and well thought-out. I like it!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast