Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 1:25am

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Started Judo Friday the 13th.

This will be the 4th time I have gone back to being a white belt. In 1985 I started training in Budo Taijutsu then called Ninjutsu or Ninpo Taijutsu, in 2002 BJJ in 2005 Muay Thai and now May 2011 Judo. Which will be chronically me training at the Sawtelle Judo Club under 6th Dan Kenji Osugi.

Since we have been having Kenji Osugi teach our instructors (ncluding me) Judo once a month to help us get better at our throws and that I found out that one of the nights that his dojo is open is on Friday, I asked Osugi Sensei If I could join his classes in West Los Angeles. He said that would be fine. I was definitely honored that he would allow me to attend his school, but I did not realize just how honored. On Friday May 13 I went to the Japanese community center that houses the Sawtelle Judo Club. I was greeted by a very nice woman that asked if she could help me to which I told her that I was there too train. To which she told me that they were not taking in any new adult students. Then Osugi Sensei waved me in. so i paid my dues, insurance and went to change. I was received very warmly and everyone helped me out very much. The 2-hour class started out with conditioning like most 'alive' training schools. We then did uchi komi drills, which are when you practice the entrance (tsukuri), The kuzushi (balance breaking), and the kake (the perfect time to excecute a throw), but do not throw. I knew about uchi komi but was supprised at how fast it was done. Even though i had done all the throws we worked on in the Bujinkan I could not do the proper steps because of the speed. I was also surprised at how much of a work out it was. We then did some uke-tori drills consisting of uke attacking with a throw and tori practicing defending. Then did about 15-20minutes of newaza (ground work -wrestling). The rest of the class was randori, sparring. on a Friday night there were 12 adults there, which i was told was a small night. Besides me there was 1 other white belt, a green belt and the rest were brown and black belts. I was tossed with leg sweeps, hiza garuma, uchimata, a few drop knee Seio nage, and a tomoe nage. I did get off a tomoe nage myself but on the other white belt. It was a great time. As stated above I have trained in several alive arts but this is the first time that the next day not only was I sore but really exhausted, but in a good way. Can't wait to go back next week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 9:00am

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats....keep us posted on progress. How old are you?

I'm thinking about joining a Judo club but, at 46, Im wondering if thats a smart thing.

Good luck!

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 9:04am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm jealous.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 10:35am

Style: Judo/Stronglifts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats! it sounds like you've found a great club to train at. keep us posted on your progress :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 12:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOXMAN View Post
    I'm thinking about joining a Judo club but, at 46, Im wondering if thats a smart thing.
    Go for it. I just made rokkyu (yellow belt) May 10 at age 57.

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 11:21am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the bio on the website, Osugi-sensei is a very well-qualified instructor. Looks like you are in excellent hands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    42 yrs old and loving it. I have done BJJ and do Mauy Thai but nothing has wiped me out the next day like Judo.

Posted On:
    5/26/2011 5:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post, I hope to read more about the your training there. Good luck!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 3:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds fully awesome, Reminds me how much I enjoyed going to Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 8:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my 5/20 Blog:
    I went to Judo again tonight. We learned in addition to Osoto Gari, Osto Otoshi and Osoto Garuma. It was especially fun to do the Osoto Otoshi. We also worked nage komi which is where you do I throw you, you throw me, back and forth to work the throw in a compliant manner to work on the mechanics. We then did a few rounds of Newaza and straight into Randori. I got off a tomoe nage again but not much else. I was given some great pointers including loosen up, which is really hard when you are trying to throw, but I am working on it. At the end of class Osugi Sensei scolded the class for doing throws without lifting up the opponent, he did not want any tani otoshi type of throws. He reminded the class that randori (sparring) was not competitive in the sense that you resist throws that you are caught in. if your partner catches you in a throw take the ukemi (break fall) and then get up and try to throw him next. He said that Judo is not defensive it is an offensive sport, even when you perform a counter it is an attack using your opponents energy and movement. Several students were promoted from white belt to green belt including a new friend of mine Javier. I was exhausted again and smiling again, I really love Judo.
    Last edited by shinbushi; 5/27/2011 9:04pm at . Reason: cleaning up formatting
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast