Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 8:57am

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can't Kick!!

Been having a tough time kicking between my usual lack of flexibility and some recent injuries. It's doubtful I'll ever be able to kick very high. My front and back kicks are adequate but sides and roundhouses are weak. Should I adjust my art to fit me or just take up Boxing lol ???

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 9:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roundhouses don't have to be high to be effective. One guy I sparred with in the past always caught me in below the knee with a hard snappy RH. It really sucked. I would just work on it though, you'd be surprised. I am as flexible as a piece of dry spaghetti but can still get some of my kicks up there. There's a vid of me at a TD knocking someone down with one.

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 9:27am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do 10 minutes of dynamic stretching every morning and you'll probably be throwing axe kicks to the head in 3 months.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 10:12am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Do 10 minutes of dynamic stretching every morning and you'll probably be throwing axe kicks to the head in 3 months.
    I do Judo, but all the same, link me please.

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 10:50am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 12:59pm

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My jodan roundhouse and side kicks are lightning fast, but like Vorpal said, you don't need high kicks.

Watch full clips of Kyokushin tournaments (not highlights). How many head kicks do you see? Not many. At least, not many that people can pull off.

I have been able to devastate people with my round kicks to the thigh more than pulling off my fancy schmancy head kicks.

Besides, the key for good quick kicks is stay loose. Staying loose means perfecting the technique. I remember the first time I learned how to kick. I was as fluid as ice.

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 2:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you have metal pins in your hips, no excuses! Just stretch seriously on your own time and your flexibility will increase dramatically.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 3:30pm

Style: Shotokan, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input all...its definitely helpful. I'm going to take my stretching more serious and train within my limitations until I can get better.

I think the point of staying loose is really a key. I can hear my brain tell my muscles to contract out of fear during a kick. Will work on that too. I do find myself much better when I kick a bag than just working on the technique in air

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly: 100% easier to train kicks on a good bag or pad than into the air.
    Kicking into the air is comprised of fail.

A really nice piece of advice given to my by my Muay Thai trainer - imagine my leg is a sock, and kick the bag as if there were no muscles in my leg at all, just aim the shin for the spot and swing heavy and loose.