Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

learning an ancient alien style

Hello all,
    I am a practitioner of Etarak, and if you've never heard of it, don't be surprised. I was trained in a cave in the South Pacific for over 70 years (in a time condensed chamber, of course) by warrior monks from a different galaxy.

They have shared with me intimate knowledge of a system that easily has a 99% fatality rate, and allows me to throw chi fireballs from my fingers. These warrior monk-aliens have covertly trained all of the world's special forces teams in hand to hand combat.

Ok, just kidding. Anyway, I'm 32 and living 10 minutes outside Manhattan, and currently looking into a new dojo. Hopefully I'll have an appointment set-up at New York Combat Sambo by the end of next week. Sambo would be right up my alley, and although I was very wary of Sambo schools, I noticed the glowing praise NYCS got on here for it's school review.

As far as MA background. I spent 3 years in Isshinryu from 9-12 and was given a blackbelt from a notorious dojo/child day care blackbelt factory. I've learned all the effective Isshinryu techniques, like the kneel-down-in-a-fight-and punch your opponent's instep, as well as the fact that all deadly encounters will take place at a striking distance of under 4 inches. So yea, you could say I'm pretty goddamn deadly.

Up until 2 years ago I had spent the prior 8 years studying Miyama Ryu and Arnis stuff. Mostly Judo and Japanese Jujutsu. My original instructor wasn't big on small joint manipulation or kotegashi stuff. My final year there, a new instructor was brought in, and the class became a full on aikido class… like overnight. Hakama's as far as the eye could see, nonstop talk about kenjutsu training, aborted zazen prior to warming up, and kotegashi as if all our enemies would have 70 wrists and be single point dedicated to conquering us through wrist assaults.

So yea, 8 years of M-R, 7 of which were a ton of fun, only to walk away prior to my shodan thanks to the training changing from fighting people, to fighting angels or something.

Either way I found this site by searching for a review of NYCS, and have now wasted way too many hours flipping through the content. Hope I can help contribute!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like your style. Welcome to Bullshido.

Head down, chin up.

Style
    Stabbing the Face.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must teach us some of the secrets of this ancient, awe inspiring style used only by aliens. Etarak sounds absolutely beast and will allow us Bullies to defeat Carter Hargrave's JKD Ninja Legion.

Welcome to Bullshido. I hope you never again have to suffer the indignities of Aikido.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    You must teach us some of the secrets of this ancient, awe inspiring style used only by aliens. Etarak sounds absolutely beast and will allow us Bullies to defeat Carter Hargrave's JKD Ninja Legion.

Welcome to Bullshido. I hope you never again have to suffer the indignities of Aikido.
    Ancient Alien Samurai MOnk Death Fighter Technique #19: punches thrown from the hips are a ton faster than punches from a boxing stance. Professional fighters don't realize this because they've been restricted to only training intra Solar art forms. FUckin shame if you ask me.

I wouldn't even have minded studying AIkido if that's what I set out to do. I mean I take MA because I friggin' love rolling, punching, and tackling type of things. But switching instructors with such wildly different ideas of training was completely bizarre.

Either way I'm massively excited to begin at NYCS asap. I've upped my cardio and gym game throw the goddamn roof the passed 4 months to make the transition smooth.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I +repped your first post. That's a pretty rare thing. Great start, welcome to bullshido.

Style
    Bartitsu&German Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ginzo, are you the long awaited Etarak Warrior Extraordinaire as told of in the prophecies? Please stay in Bullshido, we must learn more of the fighting angels.

BTW, I rec'd your first post, really appreciate the cool intro. Are you considering changing your name from Ginzo to Etarak Warrior Extraordinaire? Maybe you should sell the naming rights to "The Ultimate Etarak Warrior Extraordinaire."