Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 9:56am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How is Newaza taught in your Judo Club

I was just curious as to how my fellow Judoka’s are taught/teach Newaza in their classes.
    Last night we were only given 15 seconds to either get a pin or submit our opponent before being made to start again. Whilst I can see that this is similar to the groundwork one would find in shiai and would therefore be of benefit prior to competition, it was suggested that this would be the way Newaza would be trained going forward.

Any thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 10:50am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not at my dojo.
    We have Ne-waza once a week for roughly 1 hour (out of the 2), which is always technical stuff and then Randori 30-45 minutes.
    And randori is free for 4 minute rounds for as long as we have time, it's just free rolling, not unlike BJJ, except only judo techniques.

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 10:53am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's, well, that's shitty. We do standard ne waza, for what it's worth. A technical section followed by four or five five-five minute rounds of randori.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 10:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    That's, well, that's shitty. We do standard ne waza, for what it's worth. A technical section followed by four or five five-five minute rounds of randori.
    I agree with you and am a little annoyed and worried at the prespect of not having enough time to develop certain techniques. for instance I had Hiza-gatame on someone and was just trying to adjust his arm properly so he would tap and matte was called and we were told to restart. If we are forced to rush our techniques we could end up injuring one another as we might be tempted to crank the sub on straight away.

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 11:11am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Class structure is warmup, newaza randori, ukemi, instructional, tachiwaza randori.

I would say there's a solid 15-20 minutes of newaza randori each class, rotating every few minutes. Because of mat space and time, I get way more newaza randori than tachiwaza. The instructional is probably 80% tachiwaza, 20% newaza.

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 11:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    I was just curious as to how my fellow Judoka’s are taught/teach Newaza in their classes.
    Last night we were only given 15 seconds to either get a pin or submit our opponent before being made to start again. Whilst I can see that this is similar to the groundwork one would find in shiai and would therefore be of benefit prior to competition, it was suggested that this would be the way Newaza would be trained going forward.

Any thoughts?
    Ugh.

I hate that kind of training. I'll bet you just started from your knees or back to back didn't you?

Its so dumb.

Head coach at random club: 'Ok you've only get 20 seconds to achieve, because that's what happens in contest'
    Me: 'Ok so we're going to start with one guy turtled or flat out right?'
    HC:'No were going to start back to back or from the knees'
    Me:'But that's not how you start in contest'
    HC' Ahh but were training for speed under contest rules'
    Me: 'Err what? You need to apply speed to the specific situation which is uke turtled or flat out, this is fucking dumb'.

We do newaza in 3 different ways:
    1. 4/5 minute matches with free choice of partners, except for some beginners or spazzs who are kept with certain people i.e high grades.

2. Situational - one turtled, in guard, in half guard etc... Start and work until one of you gets the pin/tap then reset. Whoever was turtled/on bottom last time is now on top. Rinse and repeat for 4/5 minutes.

3. The newaza session from hell.

Loser

Stays

Out

5 volunteers go out, everyone else is lined up at the mat edge. Partners go out to the volunteers. They tic tac toe, loser turtles, they randori until a pin/ tap, then tic tac toe, loser turtles for a best of three. Whoever wins the best of three gets to go back and have a rest. The loser stays out, rinse and repeat with a new partner. So the more you lose, the longer you stay out, the mored tired you get and the harder it becomes to win.

Brutal. It made a dan grade cry.
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 5/13/2011 11:41am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 12:29pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do newaza at my club every session. Usually starts with techniques and drills then goes on to newaza randori.

The problem i find is that we do lots of situational drills like attacking the turtle, turn overs and pins etc but when we go into newaza randori it turns out like a bjj roll with people pulling guard yet we never do any passing the guard techniques or techniques that go with a free flowing newaza randori. we only really learn newaza that is needed for gradings which is the type of newaza that is shai friendly not newaza randori friendly if that makes sense?

i enjoy newaza randori and have been contemplating doing some bjj aswell but am put off by the lack of throws take downs. There are a few good bjj gyms near me but there both groundwork only and dont practise any throws/ takedowns ( i hate the idea of butt flopping)

There is a very good judo club near me and the instructors come down to mine a couple of times a years to teach us newaza. http://bedfordjudouk.webs.com/ (judoka uk or anybody else) i dont know if you've heard of the instructors they are supposed to be very good.

Id like to go train with them but im afraid that the clubs to professional for a newb like me lol. The instructors are known as newaza specailists plus it being a judo club would suit me more. Theres also a bjj purple belt at a club near me but my instructor and his dont get along and i dont want to step on any toes.

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 12:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    There is a very good judo club near me and the instructors come down to mine a couple of times a years to teach us newaza. http://bedfordjudouk.webs.com/ (judoka uk or anybody else) i dont know if you've heard of the instructors they are supposed to be very good.

Id like to go train with them but im afraid that the clubs to professional for a newb like me lol. The instructors are known as newaza specailists plus it being a judo club would suit me more. Theres also a bjj purple belt at a club near me but my instructor and his dont get along and i dont want to step on any toes.
    Yeh I know Robin and the guys at Bedford, good club you should go there to train.

Too professional for a newb, lol. No disrespect to Bedford, which is a good club, but its not exactly professional, there aren't any full timers practicing out of it, you'll be fine. Other good newaza clubs and just general all round Judo is Clive Douglas' club in Northampton and in the other direction there's High Wycombe, which has good all round as well and dedicated newaza night.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have several brown belts who can't remember what Kesa Gatame is. Nuff said.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usually every third round of randori is newaza in our club, and it's pretty much BJJ style rolling with no concern for mate calls unless one person gets to their feet and lifts the other. I would like it if we did more situational sparring. Also, lately my coach does a lot of guard based stuff and not so much attacks against a half fall/turtle and I think I'm getting rusty at that aspect.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast