Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 2:45pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All of them, a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick,limalama is a mashup of several martial arts, not to mention this video is geared towards muay thai ruleset type competetion...Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 3:55pm

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where in Texas areyou going to be?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 4:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that directed to me? If so, magnolia.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Is that directed to me? If so, magnolia.
    No directed to Muerteds you wierdo.

but you already know we are planning a Texas TD in June.
    I figured Muerteds would also like to have a chance to meet and work with some Bullies before heading off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, that would be a case of not reading the entire thread (which is kinda sad coz 2 pages) and assuming that there was no way you could mix up texas with american samoa.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey....Samoans have a loooooong martial arts history, based on stuff I read at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Maui.

In addition to that they have legendary palm tree climbing abilities which I have seen in person.

ChengPengFi may be a good person to speak to since he is in Hawaii and may have knowledge of Samoan MAists.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 9:57pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Hey....Samoans have a loooooong martial arts history, based on stuff I read at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu.
    Fixed. Oops.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Ah, that would be a case of not reading the entire thread (which is kinda sad coz 2 pages) and assuming that there was no way you could mix up texas with american samoa.
    Not reading the full paragraph actually. Muerteds had said he would be in Texas the month of June. A sentence or two later he stated he would be in the D/FW area. which answers my question.

Either way I thought he might be want to know we might be having a Throwdown. Wierdo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 10:07am

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the interest and responses to my query :). For those of you who've been paying attention, you'll know that I don't mind if an art doesn't have a bunch of fighters in a ring, so long as I get to learn and use fun things. Judo is great, but so is danzan ryu, kenpo, and hung gar. In short, I'm not snobbish about what I'll try.

So far, aside from the judo contact, it seems that finding a place to train is largely going to be a boots-on-the-ground activity. Not a bad thing, but it can take some time to find anything worthwhile and affordable.

I'll be in the D/FW area, yes, but I'll have transportation. I see that so far, the weekend of the 18th/19th is the preferred dates for the Texas TD in Conroe. If that's the case, I can only make the 19th- my cousin has a wedding on the 18th. She'll murdalize me if I don't go. Any other days would be better, but I'll take what I can get, obviously. Plan it right, and I might convince my mother to come down again. Maybe even my brother, provided he doesn't half cut his thumb off like he did before the last TD I went to in Katy (Houston).

I'll put in a blurb in the Texas throwdown thread, so I get updates.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Hey....Samoans have a loooooong martial arts history, based on stuff I read at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Maui.
    They do indeed, but unfortunately martial arts were among the many cultural artifacts discouraged by Christian missionaries in Samoa back in the 19th century. I asked about this when I lived in New Zealand (which has a significant Samoan population) and the impression was that if any traditional Samoan martial arts did still exist, they were kept well off the radar.

Maori martial arts, on the other hand, have been experiencing a renaissance since the 1970s. There was even a reality TV show based on Te Mau Taiaha (Maori stick fighting) a few years ago:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast