Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go with Gracie.

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 2:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'd like to go on record with this tale:

I went to a cheap grappling tournament in SoCal. I hadn't been to a promotion by this particular brand in over a year. I remembered them being very small, but they had apparently exploded in size. The promoter said he was pretty sure it was due to the price being about half the norm. The price is probably what encouraged several schools to bring whole teams. But I was still surprised that the place was abuzz because Josh Barnett was there.

Was he? Looked like him to me. But I spotted someone else. The man in question, in fact. He had some beard happening, a baker's boy and dark glasses. I didn't think it was all that effective a method to go incognito, but I didn't see people bothering him like I did Barnett, so it was probably working better than I gave it credit for.

Why do I tell you this? It's not a brush-with-stars story. I'm not cool because I was in the same highschool gym with two well known grapplers. It's because the tournament was full of buttscooters wearing magic pants. All the way down to novice there were kids dragging their asses and attempting to pull high guard.

So whether or not it's the promoted style by the man himself, the narrow-focus game happens. And not just with kids who learn it on youtube. If you look at his own matches, you'll see much the same.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 3:53pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    Well, since you went there . . .

It sounds like we're in agreement that 10thPJJ is not innovative or revolutionary but that EB repackaged and heavily marketed concepts/ideas that are not his own.
    Uh no, try reading that post again...or really any of the posts in this thread other than your own.

Here's a newsflash, virtually every single move that the human body is capable of performing has been done by somebody, somewhere, before. In this day and age, virtually nobody is really "inventing" anything. For instance, people get moves named after them because they have success with it in a notable format, such as the Von Flue choke, the D'arce, the Iminari etc. Eddie has never claimed to be the "inventor" of every move in his system and in fact regularly names move after the people he gets them from. But he IS unique in that he has built a game around certain pieces in ways that other people haven't. Obviously his style, or at least elements of it, have struck a chord with a lot of people, including some who get butt hurt over it because it doesn't come stamped with the Gracie triangle.

So the idea that Eddie is somehow just riding on others' coattails is simply not consistent with reality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2011 9:19pm

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to me there is a hell of a lot more to 10th planet jj than just the rubber guard, and the use of other styles of guard is advocated where appropriate in that system anyway. There is also a strong focus on other elements already discussed, i.e. lockdown. Also, of course, a top game.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/15/2011 9:09am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My preditction:

Bravo will pull half guard. Gracie will be cautious controlling from top. A late pass will give the match to Gracie on points.

I like the 10th Planet stuff. I have a pro membership to his site and train with them when I have the opportunity. I am a bigger fan of the half guard and twister side control than rubber guard but the 10th planet system is much more than just the rubber guard.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 2:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a fan of TPJJ and I'm trying to become a pro-member on his site too (some problems with paypal when I get forwarded from their site, but they are working on it).

Just like others said before, TPJJ is an extra tool, just as my Judo and Freestyle Wrestling is. My main knowledge and core Jiu Jitsu comes from Brasa.

And yes, like some already said, there are newbies training the advanced stuff without having mastered the basics first, but Eddie has mentioned that you have to first know your basics in BJJ before you can add TPJJ to your game.

I myself have just added the Lockdown into my game because I get caught a lot in half-guard. Not really fancy and like I said, I "added", so the Lockdown isn't all I rely on when I'm stuck in half-guard.
    Slowly while my knowledge and game improves, I will just add other TPJJ techniques to the other BJJ techniques. I hope one day to start training the the Rubber Guard...and with one day I mean when I become a brown belt in BJJ, not earlier, since I consider this at this time the most difficult TPJJ technique outthere and therefor it will be the last one to learn from the TPJJ curriculum.

The real strenght of the TPJJ system for me is that, in combination with your BJJ no-gi knowledge, you can have a standarized belt level in sub-grappling.
    Nowadays everyone can teach sub-grappling, but not everyone can teach TPJJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 2:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My big problem with Eddie Bravo is that he repeatedly claims his system is the "best" for MMA, even though he's never fought himself, and his students (Jason Chambers?) haven't exactly stormed the ranks of the top 10 in their weight divisions. Then he takes credit when Demian Maia wins by pulling half guard, or Shinya Aoki does a Shinya Aoki thing. Bad Bravo! BAAADDD!

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 3:25pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has to call it the best. If he said "my system is the 2nd best"...he doesn't make $.

Obviously the guy has skill, he just happens to have marketing skills too.

Can't fault him for chasing the $, but it sure is irritating the way he goes about it.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 3:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greed leads to selling rank and blatant lies.
    Selling rank and blatant lies lead to Steven Seagal---TENTH PLANET JIU JITSU BLACK BELT!
    Steven Seagal---TENTH PLANET JIU JITSU BLACK BELT BELT! leads to.....I believe this attempt to draw a comparison between Eddie Bravo's marketing tactics and how Jedi fall to the Dark Side needs to be taken out behind the barn and shot.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 6:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No Shock, but looks like it is off:

http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...ust-to-show-up
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast