Thread: I, The n00b

Style
    MMA, WMA, ROSS
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I, The n00b

Greetings,

I am new to Bullshido and made a typical n00b mistake by posting in a forum w/o giving background on myself in the newbietown section. Had I done this, I may have avoided some confusion. In any event, here goes:

I studied wrestling from the ages 8-14 tae kwon do from the ages 14-16, isshin-ryu, judo, and wrestling from the ages of 16 to 18, boxing / wing chun while I was in the military (4 years), and did some MMA on and off for about 9 years with varying levels of intensity ranging from "training like crazy" to "doing squat".

I'm really nothing special insofar as martial / fighting ability is concerned. I can hold my own, but calling myself an "elite warrior" would be seriously pushing it. The term "bum" or "slacker" may be a more accurate label.

I have been to a few grappling competitions, boxed in the ring while I was in the army (and got my ass handed to me when I tried the isshin-ryu and wing chun punching against a semi-pro boxer, smugly believing that I could do 4 punches in the time that a boxer could do 2), and did a great deal of sparring with kickboxing / submission wrestling / mma rules.

I worked as a security guard in Chicago as well as had various bouncing jobs working at strip joints. I have first hand knowledge that MMA works quite well in real life situations, and have also seen the consequences of people who supposedly know a "deadly martial art" but have no sparring experience. Things go very badly for these people. I know of one MMA competitor who used BJJ against a knife attacker and stoically apprehended the perpetrator with a rear naked choke after being stabbed in the stomach.

In my personal views, I do not believe that there needs to be antagonism between Traditional Martial Arts and Mixed Martial Arts. I believe that MMA offers a training ground for martial development within a controlled environment where a great deal of striking and grappling skills can be trained. Traditional Martial Arts can in turn fill in any gaps by teaching the "illegal moves" as well as weapons. I look forward to the day when MMA and TMA can work together in a harmonious manner.

I also have an open mind about many things that may be considered "bullshido". I do not discount things such as chi / internal energy, or the existence of energy centers / channels in the body. I do, however, believe that these things can be overly fixated on at the expense of sound martial training. I also believe that many people who claim to be chi-masters are highly exaggerating their abilities as well as overstate how working with chi can cause you to defeat anyone. In reality, something like chi (assuming that it exists) can only augment intelligent training such as resistance, cardio, working on techniques, as well as full contact sparring.

Another view that I would like to share is the question of things such as rank, respect, and bowing within the Traditional Martial Arts. I personally believe that these are very good things as I have a strongly conservative outlook on things as it concerns the social sphere (note: this is not a statement about my personal political ideologies which will not be shared in this forum). I believe that Teachers should receive proper respect, and I also believe in things such as the "Bushido Code" as well as the "Chivalric Ideal" of the Western Martial world.

I am deeply fascinated with ancient cultures, particularly Japanese as well as English, German, and Icelandic. Case in point, I speak very basic (and quite minimal) Icelandic and am just starting to learn Japanese. I am a fan of literature such as The Book of the Five Rings, The Arthurian Mythos, as well as the Eddas.

What I would like to see is a school that synthesizes Traditional Karate (any style), Judo, and Japanese Kickboxing which competes in MMA, K-1, Grappling contests while maintaining the Traditions of bowing, respect, and rank as well as teach internal arts such as kuji-in (meditation techniques).

I hope that this is a good introduction and that it best expresses who I am and what my views are. I am looking forward to building sincere friendships as well as participating in the meet ups.

Warm Regards,
    Michael
    Last edited by The Gentleman; 5/01/2011 9:24pm at . Reason: added a few trivial snippets

Style
    Kickboxing (student)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido Michael,

I enjoyed reading your intro, and am glad to have you here, as many posters will be. Especially now you've done the Newbietown bit, and will now read the stickies in the forums' thread listings. They are addressed to your screenname like: *The Gentleman*read me* or something like that. There you will indubitably learn the rules for the various sections of the site. You sound like you've been through a lot of ****, so that will be a breeze.

I agree that tma and mma could work together more, but it is happening, so take heart. The school I attended had Chinese Boxing, SanDa/SanShou, bjj, mma and more all coexisting, and sharing students, class-to-class.

Part of the conflict I see, from my experience (I studied tiger kf privately, before sparring and getting owned in the SanDa gym), is the emphasis in tma of long lives, and healthy bodies, which isn't really served well by fighting much, or sparring hard, a lot. The tma I absorbed, through lessons and what seemed like numerous books, stressed health, and wellness, as the main benefit of teh d3adly. Most people are savvy enough to know you can't go and gouge someone's eyes out, in polite society.

The SanDa stressed sinking your weight, keeping your hands up, bend your knees, turn the hip for power, bring your hands back raised to avoid counters, remove angles, circle away from the power, broken rhythm, don't telegraph, sidekick with the heal, hop into the sidekick, etc etc. things that improve fighting ability, when trained coherently, within the sport, and carrying over to the str33t.

The health bonus of SanDa, injuries aside, were implied, and not the point/focus. We still bowed, at the top and close of class, and were expected to conduct ourselves with professionalism, and courtesy, but it wasn't the point. It was required, for us to be there, but only came up in reprimand, as all time was devoted to fighting prowess, cardio and conditioning.

Much of tma is life/health advice, as much as fight advice (more, at this point, I'd say), from my experience. MMA, and other sports and competing martial arts that involve various elements of combat don't stress the other parts, as vehemently, although conduct is required. The people who persevere in mma, or competition oriented training, often have strong characters, that manifest in their behavior good or bad. I've never had an issue/blowup with a training martial artist. They seem to know to save it, for the gym.

Perhaps tma can bring some spirituality to sport fighting. There's a lot of crossover already, but more could be beneficial. I always liked the events in Japan, as the crowds are much more respectful. I don't like that US fans boo after 3 seconds of clinching in a lot of mma fights. That isn't cool.

sorry for the looooong rant, and enjoy your time here, on the GREATEST SITE ON THE INT3RNETS!!!!

p.s. the search function, up top, is your friend.

Style
    Kickboxing (student)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    p.p.s.s. Click on Settings to see subscribed threads (replies to threads you've posted on, for instance) and below that, you can see feedback good/bad in the form of varrots. Don't bitch about varrots, it's a big no-no.

We have throwdowns in various cities around the world, from time-to-time. Ego-free sparring/training meetups, often taped, and posted on youtube for hilarity and/or study/commentary. Sometimes Bullies go out to eat afterward.

Definitely consider attending one, I've been to 8, and they all rocked, and we learned things.

Style
    Bartitsu&German Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Michael and welcome to Bullshido. Nice intro, btw what does "ROSS" stand for? Thanks

Style
    MMA, WMA, ROSS
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings!

ROSS comes from the term "Российская Отечественная Система Самозащиты" which roughly translates to Russian Native System of Self Defense. The Slavic letters P / O / C / C are rendered as "ROSS" in English pronunciation.

I have never take a ROSS class in my whole life, however I did buy a great deal of Scott Sonnon's materials such as "Arthrokinetics", "Fist Cuffs", "Immovable Object / Unstoppable Throw" and "Leg Fencing" as well as his book "Body Flow" which gave me great insight into the nature of throwing, grappling and striking. These videos greatly helped me in my training and ROSS Concepts has greatly influenced my training.

Michael

Style
    Limalama
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, that was a quality post.