230746 Bullies, 3811 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Zuffa announces fighter healthcare plan.

Zuffa announced yesterday, that they'll be offering healthcare coverage to all fighters under contract with them, up to $50,000 annually.

Aspects include:

• Coverage will include getting hurt outside of an event.
    • Most importantly (because this is Zuffa who are cut-happy) if a fighter is cut following a fight, the damage sustained in the fight, is covered.
    • Zuffa pays the premiums
    • All 350 fighters under contract will be covered eff. June 1
    • includes dental

My personal opinion is, this is being done to head off a fighters union organizing around this very issue (as well as pay). It's a great thing, whatever the motivation(s), and I'm thrilled for the fighters. This has been sorely missing in this fast-growing-sport.

From a Zuffa press release:
    To date, Zuffa event-related insurance has always met or exceeded Athletic Commission requirements and has covered all injuries sustained during competition. After exploring the purchase of “training insurance” for its athletes for several years – much of which was met with difficulty in finding an insurance company willing to insure mixed martial artists – Zuffa officials were able to secure a comprehensive plan through A+ rated Houston Casualty.

The new policy adds 24-hour worldwide medical life insurance and dental coverage, as well as emergency medical evacuation. Zuffa will pay 100 percent of the premiums for its athletes and have an employee dedicated to handling and filing all claims.
    This is a first for combat sports, and just made me appreciate Zuffa more.

Opinions Bullies...how awesome is this?

:)

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been this happy about mma news, since Fedor vs Hendo was sorta-kinda-not-really-announced a while back.

I wonder if other promo's will follow suit?

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post

I wonder if other promo's will follow suit?
    Bellator and KOTC? I doubt either of them have that kind of money.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $50000 seems like peanuts considering what kind of damage they're subjected to. How far does that go? Would it cover ligament reconstruction or surgeries to put bones and stuff back together?

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 5:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP isn't completely clear, this new insurance package goes on top of the pre-existing package covering injuries sustained during fights:

UFC® and STRIKEFORCE® independent contractor athletes will now be eligible for customized accident insurance coverage. The coverage will be underwritten by Houston Casualty Insurance Company and complement existing event coverage the company already provides its athletes... this unprecedented policy will cover accidental injuries suffered by athletes while training, as well as non-training incidents such as automobile accidents.
    http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Announce...e-For-Athletes

So it appears that they retain the, presumably, uncapped coverage for injuries sustained whilst fighting and now have this extra coverage for injuries sustained during training and even if they get in a car crash.

That sounds like its going to be a massive moral boost to fighters as they have a lot less to worry about money wise now, although getting injured itself will still be a problem.

However, it does seem that it is capped at 50,000 per athlete per year. So you get one training injury done and then if you haven't got enough to cover a second you're on your own.

Given that the policy covers:
    everything from physician services, lab tests, emergency room, anesthetics, physical therapy, anything that would involve any type of an accident."
    http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publ...cle_9291.shtml

And how much healthcare costs in the US one injury could well eat up the whole 50k in one go.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 6:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is there a ferret(?) in the picture?

Also, a great step in the right direction. The future union will be pleased... for now.

And how much healthcare costs in the US one injury could well eat up the whole 50k in one go.
    I bet they could ship the fighters to Central Africa first.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

:)

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Why is there a ferret(?) in the picture?
    Also, a great step in the right direction. The future union will be pleased... for now.
    I bet they could ship the fighters to Central Africa first.
    The rodent is in a cast...I thought that was clear hehe.

I'm enjoying this development (healthcare, not the ferret).
    EDIT: I think it's actually a squirrel.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 7:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh now I see it. Kinda misleading when comparing the long cast to the ferret/squirrel's tiny left arm. What's hapening there anyway?
    Is he... bionic?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it proves that Union-type action works!

Bravo, Fighters!

Bravo, Zuffa! A message to Dana, Frank, and Lorenzo: The MMA world is in better shape than when you found it. Fucking awesome.

~ Colin

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 10:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice post.

I like how the article has only one guy with Zuffa, Nick Diaz. Would have been funnier without any of them haha. RIP Evan Tanner
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast