Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:03pm

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boneless View Post
    ah when getting famous is difficult just pretend!
    I dunno. I had a new guy at my job put a Marine Corps medal on his uniform and I immediately questioned him on it. Even the former Army guy got all WTF with him. Not only did he never do it again, he stopped with his war-stories bullshit.

Another guy came after him claiming he was on Army Ranger reservist. We started calling him the "blue POWAH RANGER"! He stopped the bullshit too.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:07pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not disputing the fact that it made $. It was crappy and you can get it at Blockbuster.

Titanic falls in the same category for me - a crappy movie you can rent at Blockbuster. And Titanic made way more $ than Under Seige.

You can tell it made a lot of $ cause that's about when Seagal started getting fat. He didn't have to give a **** after that one.

Is there a bar that makes a movie a "blockbuster" like there is for gold record, etc.?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    I'm not disputing the fact that it made $. It was crappy and you can get it at Blockbuster.

Titanic falls in the same category for me - a crappy movie you can rent at Blockbuster. And Titanic made way more $ than Under Seige.

You can tell it made a lot of $ cause that's about when Seagal started getting fat. He didn't have to give a **** after that one.

Is there a bar that makes a movie a "blockbuster" like there is for gold record, etc.?
    As far as I know the term is informal, and used to compare new releases to past "blockbuster" releases, like Jaws, Star Wars, or yes, Titanic.

For action films in the early 90s, Under Siege was probably one of the highest grossing action films of those years so it was considered a "blockbuster" action film (for its time).

Another big factor is how well the film does compared to its budget. Films run a spectrum from "Blockbuster" to "Box Office Bomb".

Under Siege made 156M on a budget of 35M (they used a real ship, so they had few sets to build), so it was very profitable.

Contrast that to Costner's 1995 "Waterworld" which spent 175M (a scandalous amount at the time that has since been dwarfed by many movies, Titanic for instance) only to recoup 88M at the box office.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/11/2011 12:21pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All you peoples watch you mouth you talk about Under Siege!

Anybody who can't derive joy from seeing Gary Busey dancing in drag while a denim and tie dye clad Tommy Lee Jones sings isn't either some kind of robot faking being a human or possesed by demons. SO WHICH IS IT?

As for the rest...the phrases "twit", "moron", and "lying liar who speaks not the truth" come to mind.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rango >>> Under Siege.

In fact, Rango >>> Steven Seagal.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing I enjoyed most about Rango (aside from the Mariachi owls. MARIACHI! OWLS!) was that it was basically Once Upon A Time in the West with talking animals.
    And also "Ride of the Valkeryies" played by banjoes.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    The thing I enjoyed most about Rango (aside from the Mariachi owls. MARIACHI! OWLS!) was that it was basically Once Upon A Time in the West with talking animals.
    And also "Ride of the Valkeryies" played by banjoes.
    Watch the movie again there are over a dozen movies homaged, and not just westerns.

Did you catch the homage to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" complete with red convertible, Hunter S. Thompson, and his lunatic lawyer?

Rango lands on their windshield for a few seconds of the movie ...it happened so fast my wife missed it completely.

Yep, cigar smoking, bullets, and drug references in a PG kid's movie.

My sons sing the theme song all day long.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/11/2011 12:45pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I noticed (in addition to the Fear and Loathing cameo):
    Large portions of the sequence where they're attacked by the hillbilly mole rats are torn from the Star Wars Death Star trench run
    Rango wears Gus's pajamas from Lonesome Dove
    Rango also dresses like a member of the Three Amigos

My sons sing the theme song all day long
    I took my 11 year old cousin to see it. She now freezes up mid conversation, then suddenly unfreezes and says "I did it again, didn't I?"

This may be a bit nit picky, and I may be wrong, but in the movie version, Depp's character was called "Raoul Duke", not "Hunter S. Thompson" for some reason or other, wasn't he?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Contrast that to Costner's 1995 "Waterworld" which spent 175M (a scandalous amount at the time that has since been dwarfed by many movies, Titanic for instance) only to recoup 88M at the box office.
    I always wondered how Waterworld was so expensive. I feel like I could've made most of the movie with a few hundred to buy crappy clothes at thrift stores and get hipsters to modify them, a few grand on crappy old boats and jetskis, and the rest for the crew and actors (how expensive is Kevin Cosner, really?), and use clever filming to use the Palo Alto as the Smoker's boat/lair:

$175,ooo,ooo? Ridiculous.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey man, if he ripped off a Segal movie, how "elaborate" could the tale have been?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast