Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Why? Great question. If I had to guess, it's because Mav doesn't actually read all that widely.
    Well that seems like a bit of an unnecessary insult. Especially considering point a).
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 5/11/2011 4:44pm at .

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks.

I read Grossman's "On Killing" time ago. Now I get the "sociopathic warrior elite of society" reference.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Personally I don't have any problem with push hands or Olympic TKD. I think it's all good stuff in it's own way. Fencing isn't particularly hardcore/painful, but it's challenging and gives you an opportunity to free-play with what you've learned. I think that's mostly what matters.
    I agree. I'm just playing with what "learn to fight" means. I push hands all the time, myself.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ View Post
    Well that seems like a bit of an unnecessary insult. Especially considering point a).
    Bennett is a gee-whiz public intellectual for conservatives who know they're smarter than the Limbaugh crowd, but who aren't nearly so smart as they think they are. You brought him up, dude. Of course people who are familiar with his work will draw conclusions based on thinkers you cite.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    None of the activities that you have mentioned require you to think and exert yourself at the same time. Martial arts requires both, well any competitive sport for that matter. Funny you say this the best chess player in the world does BJJ with Marcelo Garcia. **** someone name that book about that talks about that I think Mav should read it.
    "The Art of Learning" By Joshua Waitzkin. He doesn't talk about his BJJ experiences in this book. This book details his first foray into Tai Chi and how he eventually competed in Taiwan, for his first world title in push hands.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bennett is a gee-whiz public intellectual for conservatives who know they're smarter than the Limbaugh crowd, but who aren't nearly so smart as they think they are. You brought him up, dude. Of course people who are familiar with his work will draw conclusions based on thinkers you cite.
    So you disagree with his division of sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs?

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 4:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you disagree with his division of sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs?
    Yup, and in general with his heavily Catholicized neo-conservatism.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 5:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, and in general with his heavily Catholicized neo-conservatism.
    I'm not sure that heavily Catholicized neo-conservatism is part of this discussion. I certainly didn't mean to bring that up, though I can see the reference to it in the word "sheep".

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 5:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure that heavily Catholicized neo-conservatism is part of this discussion. I certainly didn't mean to bring that up, though I can see the reference to it in the word "sheep".
    And in how that piece is designed, generally. The neoconservative line on 9/11 is that the terror attack was inexplicable and essentially uncaused—the analogy obscures the historical causes of the attack. Wolves just be wolves! (Note that paleo-conservatives and principled libertarians have no problem pointing out the influence of US intervention in the Middle East as an antecedent to the attack. It's not a right vs. left thing.)

The analogy is also inapt because sheepdogs don't only or simply protect sheep from wolves; some sheepdogs are livestock guardians but most are herders—they control sheep behavior, and not for the good of the sheep but for the benefit of the shepherd. (Oh, and livestock guardian dogs don't normally actually fight off predators. Big dogs aren't going to win against wolves, or bears, or human criminals.) Sheep get sheared or butchered, after all. It hardly matters to the sheep if a wolf eats them or if I eat them.

Bennett is clever enough to purposefully avoid the implication of his own analogy in a public discussion. He knows that in his own construction the shepherd is the state, but can't go on giving a paean to freedom and virtue if he follows through on his own claims and tells the Naval cadets, "Your job is to keep the population in line for the benefit of the state."

Anyway, that's all off-topic. So the question is, for you, I guess, why learn to fight if you don't really need to since you're a middle-class American and don't really want to since even in your combative daydream you die at the end. The answer is: for fun, just like the people who practice martial arts but who don't care about fighting quite so much.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 8:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And in how that piece is designed, generally.

"Your job is to keep the population in line for the benefit of the state."
    That's an interesting interpretation of the piece, I hadn't looked at it in that way. Though I would say there is a bit of literary license involved it does make sense given neo-conservative stereotypes.

Anyway, that's all off-topic. So the question is, for you, I guess, why learn to fight if you don't really need to since you're a middle-class American and don't really want to since even in your combative daydream you die at the end.
    Because the final goal is not my survival but the survival of the family, that's why I worded it the way I did.

The answer is: for fun, just like the people who practice martial arts but who don't care about fighting quite so much.
    I would say the answer is to prepare. Same reason I buy car insurance.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast