Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like MaverickZ's not loving the pain!

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    This is why I asked the question

Age is extremely relevant in the framework of a discussion. I am 40 so it will effect my perception of things due to the life experiences. Plus if your 22 and you have been training for 18 years you have not been training as an adult for 18 years but maybe 6 years really.
    So I was thinking about what you said here. Are you totally discounting value of training before a certain age? Or are you saying there's some substantiative difference between training before and after that age? What age do you think is the cut off? I imagine it's probably a range.

The reason I was thinking about these is because in reading about various superstars and experts in their fields it became apparent that a big reason why they are superstars in their fields is because they began very early on. And having begun early, had support, and stuck with their activity they reached the magic number of 5000 hours of directed practice earlier than their peers. And having done so, they had more "prime time" to become even better. From what I understand, Tiger Woods is a such a phenomenal golfer because his father put a golf club in his hands when Tiger could barely walk.

What's your view on this?

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's 10,000 hours.

And many kiddie martial arts train different things than the grown-up stuff. (Bowing and lining up and such is very important for children; not so much for adults.)

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    It's 10,000 hours.
    Right.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:23am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ View Post
    So I was thinking about what you said here. Are you totally discounting value of training before a certain age? Or are you saying there's some substantiative difference between training before and after that age? What age do you think is the cut off? I imagine it's probably a range.

The reason I was thinking about these is because in reading about various superstars and experts in their fields it became apparent that a big reason why they are superstars in their fields is because they began very early on. And having begun early, had support, and stuck with their activity they reached the magic number of 5000 hours of directed practice earlier than their peers. And having done so, they had more "prime time" to become even better. From what I understand, Tiger Woods is a such a phenomenal golfer because his father put a golf club in his hands when Tiger could barely walk.

What's your view on this?
    You can not use one person as an example for your discussion. He is an anomaly. More importantly look at how he has turned out in the other areas of his life. Yea he is rich but he is banging hookers by the handful and cheating on his wife. Sounds like a great way to live when you have children.

Without going into the particulars there is a reason you are considered a child and then an adult from the physiological to the psychological there are so many factors that you have to consider.

Contrary to popular belief children are not miniature adults. They have to develop. Training in a specific sport during these times will help them develop into a better player as an adult but it is not necessarily a gauge for success.

Go to any children's sports camp for "elite" players. Take the names of all the children there and look them up in 10 years and see if they are still playing that sport and succeeding. The percentages will be almost the same for the children that didn't attend.

As a coach I have had children who were good players come to me and it took longer for them to learn techniques because they had so many years of success doing things a certain way. Not that it was horribly wrong just needed to be cleaned up. It took longer to get them straight than a fresh student sometimes. As they developed into adults the techniques and movements had to be adjusted for the change in their body.

Mental development is another thing entirely for a child. It is far more confusing and harder to explain then I have the time or the expertise to do so. Just because YOU think YOU are the exception because YOU did something since YOU was a certain age and that YOU retained that information isn't necessarily the facts.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 3:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hi

very interesting read.

I want to do martial arts again (stopped as a teenager, looking to get back into it) because I want to get stronger.

I do not want to fight. I do not plan to fight. Unless it's in a controlled, competitive environment where I can test my progress.

I plan on protecting my family via - earning an income that can sustain their livelihood, and a comfortable one. stay faithful to my partner so she does not feel emotional pain, insecurity or betrayal. honour my parents, because of the fact that they are my parents. And when i have kids, I plan to love them with my all, spending time with them and providing for them to the best of my ability.

I believe training in martial arts will make me a better man, hence, better at protecting my family.

The best form of self defence is to not put yourself in a situation where you have to defend yourself. walking away, be the bigger man. martial arts can teach you to be the bigger man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 2:55am

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Go to any children's sports camp for "elite" players. Take the names of all the children there and look them up in 10 years and see if they are still playing that sport and succeeding. The percentages will be almost the same for the children that didn't attend.

As a coach I have had children who were good players come to me and it took longer for them to learn techniques because they had so many years of success doing things a certain way. Not that it was horribly wrong just needed to be cleaned up. It took longer to get them straight than a fresh student sometimes. As they developed into adults the techniques and movements had to be adjusted for the change in their body.
    rings true for me in the TKD circle I had here. 10 years after, NONE of the people who are tournament medalists still trains. (FYI, I started TKD in high school). most of them stated the reason for stopping was : "they kick harder".
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011