Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 12:36am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Judo Club's Footage

Just wanted to show off a video that I created for our banquet. I'm basically an attention whore that wants his video editing skills validated, plus you can take a look to see how (crappily) I fight. Plus, people found the entertainment value pretty good.

As a note, I'm:
    Being lazy at 0:07
    Taking what I think is an ura nage at 0:47.
    Executing a successful YTN at 1:07
    Winning a decision at 2:08
    Attempting the world's shittiest starfish attack at 2:23
    Noticing an odd scream at 2:30 right before my own match
    Landing a low-classiness seoi nage at 3:04
    Sticking an osoto->sode combo at 3:45

At 0:57 and 1:15, my mentor is going head to head with a Singaporean yudansha that's studying here. While the former is a nikkyu that has brought down a yudansha in a shiai once, he is clearly no match for the Singaporean, especially the YTN.

1:42, a yudansha of ours drops a blind Judoka. Didn't know they came out to regular Judo matches.

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 5:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice video.

What's a banqet?

Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post
    1:42, a yudansha of ours drops a blind Judoka. Didn't know they came out to regular Judo matches.
    I mainly responded to this because I have the funniest story about a VI Judoka in a sighted competition.

So back in the 90s Ian Rose entered the British Open, the regular sighted comp. He was facing off against [names removed to protect the guilty], the ref signals them on they both come on, Ian is led to his spot. They rei and the ref cries Hajime. Ian stands there waiting for his opponent to come to him, as VI players are usually gripped up by helpers. Our hero/villian did the full Elmer Fudd tippy toe walk and sneaks around the back of the referee. The VI guy is, at this point, getting a little confused as its taking longer than he expected for his opponent to get to him so he takes a step forward. Our boy continues his super stealthy tippy toe walk around the back of the referee. Everyone in the stadium has gone quiet as they can't quite believe what they're watching. Our boy clears the ref and tip toes a little closer to Ian, the VI player. All of a sudden he darts forward bearhugs the VI player and Tani otoshis him over for ippon. Everyone in the crowd doesn't know how to react, apart from our boys team mates who are cracking up and literally rolling around on the floor laughing.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 9:23am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea they do my coach was the top VI player in the world at his weight and top 10 in the US in regular Judo at the time.

He had some vision and wasn't totally blind though.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 6:09pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Nice video.

What's a banqet?

I mainly responded to this because I have the funniest story about a VI Judoka in a sighted competition.

So back in the 90s Ian Rose entered the British Open, the regular sighted comp. He was facing off against [names removed to protect the guilty], the ref signals them on they both come on, Ian is led to his spot. They rei and the ref cries Hajime. Ian stands there waiting for his opponent to come to him, as VI players are usually gripped up by helpers. Our hero/villian did the full Elmer Fudd tippy toe walk and sneaks around the back of the referee. The VI guy is, at this point, getting a little confused as its taking longer than he expected for his opponent to get to him so he takes a step forward. Our boy continues his super stealthy tippy toe walk around the back of the referee. Everyone in the stadium has gone quiet as they can't quite believe what they're watching. Our boy clears the ref and tip toes a little closer to Ian, the VI player. All of a sudden he darts forward bearhugs the VI player and Tani otoshis him over for ippon. Everyone in the crowd doesn't know how to react, apart from our boys team mates who are cracking up and literally rolling around on the floor laughing.
    Hansoku make for acting against the spirit of Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 6:32pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though, to his credit, it sounds like he has the "Seiryoku Zen'yo" half of Judo down pretty well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 6:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Nice video.

What's a banqet?
    Like a banquet but without you there to be a pedant?

One of the best yudansha at our club is 100% blind the scary thing about him isn't so much that he is very, very good at Judo but that he has a very, very large handgun for I know not what reason.
    Last edited by Joz; 5/11/2011 6:37am at .

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 7:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    Like a banquet but without you there to be a pedant?
    Lol calm down old fruit. You never know with you Americans you have a load of celebrations and names for them we don't have this side of the atlantic, for all I know a banqet could be some kind of yankee social event I've never heard of.

Being VI is actual something of an 'advanatge' in Judo because you're naturally predisposed to having heightened senses and awareness and so are able to rapdily pick up on subtle body movements and weight shifts in a way sighted people can't.

I actually introduced a VI guy to Judo and taught him for several lessons, he picked everything up really quickly, but it was a real challenge adapting your teaching for a VI person. I put him in touch with an experienced VI coach and he's now on the British squad, winning medals international and aiming to go to 2012. I'm quite proud of helping him find the vehicle to showcase his athletic talents. If he gets to 2012 I'll get some tickets and see him fight, that would be pretty awesome.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 8:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reminds me of my visit to London. I was in a hostel and walked up to the front desk:

"do you have any laundry detergent."

They stared at me slack-jawed.

"What?"

"Laundry detergent. You know, for washing clothes?"

"Oh! You mean washing powda!"
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 8:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Reminds me of my visit to London. I was in a hostel and walked up to the front desk:

"do you have any laundry detergent."

They stared at me slack-jawed.

"What?"

"Laundry detergent. You know, for washing clothes?"

"Oh! You mean washing powda!"
    And if you told me you were looking for your fanny pack, I wouldn't be able to stop laughing.

Once had a German guy over on an exchange, in German the word 'bekommen' means 'to get' and he asked me 'Can I become an orange?' I told him 'sure, but do you mind if I get my camera first because I have to get it on film?'.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 8:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The australian guy on that same trip I met burst into laughter when I mentioned the spider that was "cruising around my tent".
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast