Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 11:04am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ka-pow = Ka-ching?

hey guys, after lurking around for some time, i've finally mustered up the courage to ask the martial hulkists here : what are your views on the money you're earning?

i'm from a place where arts (painting, dance, fighting, etc) is frowned upon as anything beyond simple interest. "office jobs" are all the rage, and the trend doesnt seem to show signs of cooling down soon.
    case in point : the first professional MMA fighter EVER from my country has only emerged in the past one year. he hasnt even had a fight yet. this dude is from my gym and we have high hopes on him, but that isnt the point.

martial arts instructors seem to earn a pittance in relation to other jobs in the local market. they even have to turn to coaching classes at community centres. not that this is a problem in itself, but equipment is frequently lacking and classes are way too huge. normal stretching that would take at most ten minutes can go on for an hour. most of it is spent lazing around and chatting, and trust me, the quality of the students are bullshido-worthy.

i think i've digressed. where i live, the rate of renting and maintaining a gym is so high that you can barely recoup your capital. only a few gyms have managed to expand.

this issue is close to my heart because i love to, and i want to fight. but my elders disapprove very strongly. in their eyes, i would be throwing away my future. i'd like to hear from you guys. how much does fighting in smaller promotions earn you? does coaching provide a viable income? how would you compare your occupation to others who have white collar jobs?

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 11:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you plan on fighting professionally and are good enough to do so I would say choose a different profession for money making.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 11:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the main point of the thread is about how people feel about the money fighters are earning, not so much about me wanting to become a fighter.

Unless you plan on fighting professionally and are good enough to do so I would say choose a different profession for money making.
    what happened to "FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS"

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 11:37am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Masaka! View Post
    If your dreams lead you to abject poverty and brain injury, you may want to reroute.

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 11:45am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep training, try to follow your dreams, but don't leave yourself without a backstop. Go to college, get a degree. How many professional athletes compete past forty? Not very many. Now don't go and say "RANDY COUTURE!" because he's an exception. Look more at Chuck Liddell. The man has a degree in accounting, so even if he couldn't fight any more he has a way to at least earn a living. (He's doing much more than that, BTW.)

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 11:55am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey guys, after lurking around for some time, i've finally mustered up the courage to ask the martial hulkists here : what are your views on the money you're earning?

i'm from a place where arts (painting, dance, fighting, etc) is frowned upon as anything beyond simple interest. "office jobs" are all the rage, and the trend doesnt seem to show signs of cooling down soon.
    case in point : the first professional MMA fighter EVER from my country has only emerged in the past one year. he hasnt even had a fight yet. this dude is from my gym and we have high hopes on him, but that isnt the point.

martial arts instructors seem to earn a pittance in relation to other jobs in the local market. they even have to turn to coaching classes at community centres. not that this is a problem in itself, but equipment is frequently lacking and classes are way too huge. normal stretching that would take at most ten minutes can go on for an hour. most of it is spent lazing around and chatting, and trust me, the quality of the students are bullshido-worthy.

i think i've digressed. where i live, the rate of renting and maintaining a gym is so high that you can barely recoup your capital. only a few gyms have managed to expand.

this issue is close to my heart because i love to, and i want to fight. but my elders disapprove very strongly. in their eyes, i would be throwing away my future. i'd like to hear from you guys. how much does fighting in smaller promotions earn you? does coaching provide a viable income? how would you compare your occupation to others who have white collar jobs?
    Wow, big question. As a gym owner and coach I don't make a lot of money but I am happy. I could make a lot of money but I choose my ideals over "selling out". That being said I run a 7000sqft + facility and coach 6 days per week heavily immersed in both children and adult classes. This is what I like to do and the money is irrelevant. So figure out your priorities and go from there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 11:59am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dreams don't pay the bills. That's why activities like painting, dance, fighting, etc are normally approached as hobbies instead of professions. Only the rare few can make real money from them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 12:07pm

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As is often the case Bas has all the answers @ 4:30

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Look more at Chuck Liddell. The man has a degree in accounting, so even if he couldn't fight any more he has a way to at least earn a living. (He's doing much more than that, BTW.)
    Omega, did you have this sort of backup plan or any side businesses? i've always thought of this as good advice, but then again as with any other occupation, teaching and training consume a lot of time dont they?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    ...This is what I like to do and the money is irrelevant. So figure out your priorities and go from there.
    what about retirement, or leaving stuff for the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    If your dreams lead you to abject poverty and brain injury, you may want to reroute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Guess View Post
    Dreams don't pay the bills.
    isnt that what training is for? to get out of the measly earnings zone and into the Fight of the Night honours kind of cash.

there have been really interesting responses guys, thanks for the feedback. i have to hit the sack, see you later
    Last edited by Masaka!; 5/08/2011 12:15pm at . Reason: it r late

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 12:15pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, did you have this sort of backup plan or any side businesses? i've always thought of this as good advice, but then again as with any other occupation, teaching and training consume a lot of time dont they?

what about retirement, or leaving stuff for the kids?
    Asked and answered.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast