Thread: McDojo Help?

Style
    kung jung mu sul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

McDojo Help?

hello all sorry if this is the wrong forum. So i've been taking some kjms classes for about 3 months now. due to the fact i got a BB at a mcdojo earlier in my life they decided to throw me up to second ranking when i started. now while here so far i've done forms,falls and "throws". these throws are done step by step and from what i can tell can easily break the wrist or arm but down really throw someone down unless you make yourself fall. so far i've seen no actual real time sparring of any type or actual throw competition. would this be a prelude to failness of the dojo?

Style
    Getting less fat
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe. When does your new dojo start free sparring? If the answer is either never, or only when you become an advanced student, it is not the place for you.

Welcome to bullshido.

Style
    JKD, Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you asked an instructor about when they spar? Is there a sparring or open mat slot on the school's schedule?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Style
    kung jung mu sul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah sorry i lost this thread somewhere along the line.. i believe they said they do sparring every friday. not sure of full contact or point. but as far as i can see typical class seems to be kata's and semi throws. while here i would like to ask is it a throw if you have to fall down yourself.. cause what i see of most of these throws is it would hurt like hell but you only really fall if you force yourself to.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that how all the students do the throws, even the advanced ones, or are they just breaking it down KISS simple for noobs?

Style
    kung jung mu sul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there are proble more advanced throws but i think its misleading to do a wristlock then call it a throw. other day we were practicing throws and i was the victim ( cant recall name) and after he got the whole thing done i was stuck standing, wrist in pain but forgot the proper fall... so im just standing there could be smackin the back of his head but they still call this a throw. imo its just misleading even if more advanced students have better throws.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you might have misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking about the more advanced techniques, but more how the advanced students performed the same ones.

From what you describe, you were doing kote gaeshi, which can be stopped as a wrist lock, but with proper angles, footwork, and follow through, can take someone to the ground. I don't know if I'd actually call it a throw (more like a takedown), but that's more of a semantics argument.

So what I was really getting at is whether the advanced students were practicing with full compliance one step at a time, or were they actually applying the technique against resistance?

Style
    kung jung mu sul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah my bad. totally misread that then sorry. from what i've seen of the more advanced students is them doing better takedowns/throws :S. typically the classes are seperated so i only see the ending 10 mins or so, typically the ones they do look closer to judo i believe and the ones taught earlier look something more like a crappy aiki.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem.
    Well then there might be some hope. A lot of instructors (myself included) start people off with training wheels so that we don't have beginners injuring each other or themselves from bad form or lack of control, and then getting pissed off and quitting (or worse these days - lawsuits). But once the basic mechanics and skills are there, the compliance should start to go away and learn how to actually apply what you have learned in different contexts - grabs, pushes, punches, etc.

So you may just have to bide your time for a little while and work on form until you advance. Or see if you can get to know a couple of the more advanced students and ask them to work on your material with more focus after class or something.